Author Topic: 997c SI Initial Setup Settings  (Read 14525 times)

Offline Llunker

• Team Llunker
  • Team Llunker
    • Ultimate Lunker Fishing Forum
  • Unit(s): 997c SI
  • Software: 4.75
  • Accessories: SI with in-hull transducer as well
997c SI Initial Setup Settings
« on: March 02, 2010, 06:36:21 AM »
Anyways guys--here are some basic settings--they look good to me in normal sim mode. let me know what you think so far.  I have yet to install as I just have not had time.  But have been playing with it at computer alot.

oh and Maybe I should say this is strickly for hunting down Bass with a Bass Boat...

Preset buttons with 1 being at the bottom

1- three view of SI, DI and 2-d, these are set at a split position of 40--i can see more !!
2- two view -- SI and 2-D, these are set at a split position of 40--i can see more !!
3- two View with SI and DI, these are set at a split position of 40--i can see more !!

It would be split even if the numbers on the 997c were at the bottom instead of on the side--WISH LIST ITEM !!!!

Alarms are set kinda just to my liking like an arrival alarm of 100

Chart Speed 4, Area of Coverage 100', Sensitivity 10, contrast-9 and sharpness- low.

Sonar- Beam select -200/83 Khz with a side Frequency of 455khz, surface clutter -2, switchfire-Max Mode, Fish ID -off and Sensitivity for fish -5, and a biggy i think is to set the RTS window to Off. color pallete 1, bottom view-structure ID, and another one i didnt really understand which is Zoom Width - i placed at Medium??and what about the 83khz sensitivity--0 ??

Depth lines --on
noise filter -low
Max Depth-auto
Water type- fresh
Transducer select- Hi-Def Sidescan???
DI Beam Width- wide???

Those with Question marks can someone expand upon those? do I have them set right?

Thanks Guys
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 06:23:18 PM by Llunker »
El Grande Lures Field Staff

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
  • Unit(s): 1197c SI, 997c SI & 785c2
  • Software: 4.950 & 4.510
  • Accessories: Interlink & GRHA
Re: 997c SI Initial Setup Settings
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 09:57:30 AM »
Llunker,

Transducer should be set to Hi-Def.  But could be set to others if you purchased them.
- Hi Def Sidescan is the 455/800khz / 83/200khz standard transducer that comes with the 997,998,898, and 1197
- Compact Sidescan is the 455khz / 83/200khz standard transducer that comes with the 797 and 798
- Sidescan is the older 262/455khz SI / 50/200khz transducer that was made for the 981 and 987.

DI Beam Width - Now I would say leave it on Wide.  Basically your seeing everything with that setting.

2D - I would turn the 83khz off.  It is really not needed in shallow water and only adds to recording size and decreases ping rate. 

Dont know how much you use the navigation screens but I would have one of my presets for this.  Remeber, once you get used to the order, you can hit View to move a screen ahead or exit to move a screen back.  So ones that are close will still be one button away.

I would also disable any views that you dont need.  I never use the Birds Eye Chart View (and a few others...) and have them turned off, so when I move through the views they dont take up extra button pushes and I can flip through quicker!

Chart Speed will be one of those settings that will need to be adjusted with boat speed.  Your best SI images will be between 3-5mph and chart speed at 4 would be fine.  It would be better if you match your Chart Speed to Boat Speed, so at 3 mph, set to 3 and 5 mph set to 5.

I would also set my Max Depth to something reasonable for your area.  I pretty much stay in waters less than 150' deep and set my Max Depth to this.  If you lose bottom, it will keep the unit from slowing down the ping rate to almost nothing trying to listen longer thinking its in deeper water!  Can affect Recordings especially if this happens.

As for area of coverage, I generally tell people, if you are looking for fish, the smaller the better.  I conside the optimal setting to be 2.5-3 times your depth.  Especially if you are running 800khz.  At 455khz, you can certainly move out farther since the beam looks more towards the surface than the 800khz.

Well, thats all I can think of for now!

Robert
Humminbird Guru and Forum Administrator

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 10:02:57 AM »
Thanks guys.  these setting suggestions atre a good place to start and will get you comfortable with the units selections.  This will help when you get ??? 8) :( :-[ :'( 

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 10:08:29 AM »
OK, so I cant type or keep screens seperated.  Let me start again.   Knowing the setup and the locations of options to change are a big help in getting data displayed and recorded.  This past weekend We ran 9 recordings and used different options to try and locate the object of interest. Knowing the menues were certainly a time saver. having  preset values will get you in a good starting display. Thanks to the guys who know these uits and are able to help with initial settings.  chuck

Offline Llunker

• Team Llunker
  • Team Llunker
    • Ultimate Lunker Fishing Forum
  • Unit(s): 997c SI
  • Software: 4.75
  • Accessories: SI with in-hull transducer as well
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 02:08:43 PM »
Llunker,

Transducer should be set to Hi-Def.  But could be set to others if you purchased them.
- Hi Def Sidescan is the 455/800khz / 83/200khz standard transducer that comes with the 997,998,898, and 1197
- Compact Sidescan is the 455khz / 83/200khz standard transducer that comes with the 797 and 798
- Sidescan is the older 262/455khz SI / 50/200khz transducer that was made for the 981 and 987.

DI Beam Width - Now I would say leave it on Wide.  Basically your seeing everything with that setting.

2D - I would turn the 83khz off.  It is really not needed in shallow water and only adds to recording size and decreases ping rate. 

Dont know how much you use the navigation screens but I would have one of my presets for this.  Remeber, once you get used to the order, you can hit View to move a screen ahead or exit to move a screen back.  So ones that are close will still be one button away.

I would also disable any views that you dont need.  I never use the Birds Eye Chart View (and a few others...) and have them turned off, so when I move through the views they dont take up extra button pushes and I can flip through quicker!

Chart Speed will be one of those settings that will need to be adjusted with boat speed.  Your best SI images will be between 3-5mph and chart speed at 4 would be fine.  It would be better if you match your Chart Speed to Boat Speed, so at 3 mph, set to 3 and 5 mph set to 5.

I would also set my Max Depth to something reasonable for your area.  I pretty much stay in waters less than 150' deep and set my Max Depth to this.  If you lose bottom, it will keep the unit from slowing down the ping rate to almost nothing trying to listen longer thinking its in deeper water!  Can affect Recordings especially if this happens.

As for area of coverage, I generally tell people, if you are looking for fish, the smaller the better.  I conside the optimal setting to be 2.5-3 times your depth.  Especially if you are running 800khz.  At 455khz, you can certainly move out farther since the beam looks more towards the surface than the 800khz.

Well, thats all I can think of for now!

Robert

Robert --Thanks for all the input--i will do so--I do have a sandisk 2mgextreme 3 card for images i am going to use and I also just bought the 2010 Navionics South Card with 3d.  I am going to take alot of the states off of the card as they make the unit extremely slow to load.  I all i want is Texas anyways.  But thanks again for all your help !!

El Grande Lures Field Staff

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 02:14:17 PM »
good card for storing information.  Screen captures are fine but a general caution on recordings. when making a recording it is helpful to keep the file sizes smaller. Make two recordings instead of 1.
easier to playback and certainly easier to view on a program.  In a general since, try to keep recording to less than 10 minutes.   good luck with all of this.   chuck

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo