Author Topic: 1198csi sonar not working  (Read 6274 times)

Offline krayfish

• Unit(s): 1198,1198,597
  • Accessories: I link
1198csi sonar not working
« on: April 28, 2014, 09:48:07 PM »

I just purchased a used boat that came with two 1198csi's networked via ethernet.  There is no high speed transducer, only the HI- def sidescan transducer.   I tried them for the first time and I can get them to link and share GPS, but I cannot get the head unit to display sonar accurately.  The digital depth reading, while drifting, jumps all over from 350- 1100 feet at times and I was  never over 25' of water. I do get a display for 2D sonar, but again, the depth range is all off.  I checked the depth range setting and it is on Auto (I did set to 500' just to see, no change) I have tried all settings- the sonar is definitely turned on, the transducer selected is the hi def sidescan (i tried other settings too), frequency setting is 200 (I tried 200/83 also), the transducer switch is set correctly, I tried restoring default settings, I am lost- so is hummingbird support- other than a bad unit or transducer.  The previous owner cannot offer much help, says they worked fine the last time he used them and is a long ways away for me to have him assist me.  I need help.  I tried switching the units and same result, so I do not think it is the unit.  I am starting to think the transducer is bad, but would like to know for sure before I spend the money to get a new one installed, plus, the provious owner is telling me it worked. 

Offline bobcoy

• Unit(s): 1197 & 1198
  • Software: 6.640 & 7.670
  • Accessories: iPilot-Link,GRHA GPS-HS,ETH 5PS
Re: 1198csi sonar not working
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 07:31:01 AM »
Krayfish, sorry you are having problems. I would start with the transducer mounting. If you take a few pictures we could see if perhaps it was bumped at some point. So it is not pointed properly. Bob

Offline ITGEEK

• Unit(s): 1198c -Team Watters SS - Lexerd SP
  • Software: 7.670
  • Accessories: XM Weather - Weathersense
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 07:51:29 AM »
Sometimes, erratic depth readings are caused by
electrical interference.
Do you see any lines or dots on the screen that
shouldn't be there?

Offline D S

• Unit(s): 1198 ,798hd , ipilot link and 360tm
  • Software: 7.5
  • Accessories: HDSI reefmaster Dr Depth autocharts pro
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 12:28:21 PM »
could also try to increse noise filtre
stgr

Offline BrianL

• BrianL
  • Unit(s): 1198, 798
  • Software: 6.74
  • Accessories: Ethernet
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 12:54:56 PM »
I have seen that occur with a bad transducer.  A bad transducer may not be visible to the eye per se it could be internal damage, but I have seen new transducers fix that scenario/problem.

2nd...Did you try running one unit at a time?  Do you have more than one transducer which could have caused interference (cone signals crossing each other) like a thru hull transducer mounted inside the boat  that you weren't aware of?  Sometimes 2 transducers will give odd readings due to interference, sometimes one unit will read correct, but the other can't overcome the interference and only the one reads wrong, or neither unit reads right due to interference between the 2 transducers.

Try to isolate and see if you can get either unit to read by itself correctly with only one of them powered up.  Check to see if you have transducer hook at the back of both units.  That should indicate how many transducers are on the boat.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 01:01:40 PM »
Welcome to the Humminbird Side Imaging Forums crayfish.  We will help you troubleshoot a little more and hopefully arrive at what the root cause is.

I would see if there is any electrical interference first by drifting with everything except the one 1198 turned off.  If it works fine, start turning other devises on one at a time until you see the interference come back again.

What water depths was this happening at?
What is the transducer switch used for?
Have you tried by-passing the switch and connecting the HDSi transducer straight to either 1198 unit?  If not, try it and let us know what happens.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline krayfish

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 02:05:37 PM »
First off, I want to thank all of you for your help.  I am at wits end and while thinking I have half a clue on these type items- I am really questioning that thought! What an awesome site and very helpful people- very, very much appreciated, really. 

I will try and answer as much as I can:

1) The previous owner told me there is only one transducer for the 1198's (side imaging)- no high speed HB ducer.
2) He does have an HDS-10 flush mounted as well-no side imaging ducer is mounted, just a through hull mount. He said he used the HDS10 for sonic hub, sirius, radar, and high speed reading.  Used the HB for GPS, I-Link, side and down imaging and low speed. But, I did turn the HDS 10 off and tried only the 1198 and still the problem persists.
3) I had checked the transducer and it is mounted parallel to hull bottom (not off kilter or tipped too far up or down) and is pretty firm- I tightened a bit but have not had it in the water since.
4) I think the transducer switch is in case there was a high speed transducer mounted at some point?  When I have it on "1", the side/down imaging display shows, switch it to "2", the screen goes black.  From that, I deduced that only one transducer is currently hooked up.  Now, there is a Terrova with the built in transducer on front- perhaps the switch setting "2" is hooked to that?  But, I had that unit off and was just trying the head unit all this time anyway.
5) I did switch the units last night- put the bow on the dash, same issue- so I do not think it is the unit itself- however, I was in my garage and not on water.  But the same goofy depth readings come in whether in air or water?  Maybe that is telling me something?
6) No black dots on the screen.  The sonar display scale is so large (600' scale) at times, that the screen does show various lines in it- like fish readings, half hooks, but not very clear.  I am not sure what interference I could be getting if all other units are shut off?
7) Software version- looks like it is 6.610.

Ok, that is as much as I can add based on the responses.

On a side note- if my I-Link is version 1.13 and 1.15 and my HB head unit is 6.610, are those compatible?  Do I need to update anything?  Have not got far enough to test that yet!

I was going to order a new transducer, hook it up direct and just hold it in the water and see if I get a reading correctly- I am about at that point. Perhaps that is the best alternative.

Again, i really, really appreciate the help.  The previous owner has gone dark on me and is not responding to my last questions as of yesterday, which is disappointing, but understandable, so I am on my own- with your help- now!!!!!!

Offline krayfish

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 02:11:19 PM »
Oh, on the hooking up the transducer direct- the head unit has four cables in, plus the ethernet cable.  I took the four  out of the quick connect and put them in seperately, thinking the connection was bad- same problem exists.

Offline ITGEEK

• Unit(s): 1198c -Team Watters SS - Lexerd SP
  • Software: 7.670
  • Accessories: XM Weather - Weathersense
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 02:29:17 PM »
krayfish:
I would do exactly as Greg suggests in his post.
Skip the switch and attach the transducer directly to the 1198,
and check it on the water.  Turn off everything electrical except
the 1198 and drift.  That is your very best baseline test.
Then go from there.

You can't ever check any type of sonar depth readings in the air.
You MUST be on the water.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 02:39:53 PM »
krayfish,
I’ll add to what ITG stated:
Try by-passing the Transducer Switch and connect the HDSi transducer straight to the unit.  If it still does not read correctly my bet would be that the 2D portion of the HDSi transducer has gone bad.  If it has you have a decision here: replace the HDSi transducer or install an AS-Si-DB-Y splitter cable and an XP-9-20 inside-the-hull DualBeam transducer.  The cost of the splitter cable and inside-the-hull DualBeam transducer will be less than a new HDSi transducer (this will only work with a fiberglass boat).

I think that you are going to have to update the software in the i-Pilot Link’s controller and remote and also in both of your 1198c Si units.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline krayfish

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 02:48:39 PM »
Got it- I will try that at the first possible chance.

Thanks

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo