Author Topic: capturing screenshots off a recording  (Read 5833 times)

Offline crankin007

• Unit(s): 597, 798 HDSI
  • Software: 6.6
capturing screenshots off a recording
« on: March 19, 2014, 06:24:08 PM »
I have a few shots on my bird 798 where it is displaying multiple views…bottom showing sideview ….left showing down imaging…..and the right showing traditional 2d sonar. I believe I captured this off a recording. I like to ride over a spot while recording and than look at it at home. I don’t know how I got this screen shot though. Does anyone know how to do this? Can a snaphot be viewed in different formats? And can you make a snapshot from a recording showing multiple views?

Offline chuck41

• I'd rather be fishin'
    • Lake Ouachita Arkansas
  • Unit(s): 798ci si di Combo
Re: capturing screenshots off a recording
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 09:18:45 PM »
I have a few shots on my bird 798 where it is displaying multiple views…bottom showing sideview ….left showing down imaging…..and the right showing traditional 2d sonar. I believe I captured this off a recording. I like to ride over a spot while recording and than look at it at home. I don’t know how I got this screen shot though. Does anyone know how to do this? Can a snaphot be viewed in different formats? And can you make a snapshot from a recording showing multiple views?

You can save pictures from your unit real time by pressing the "mark" button, or you can save pictures from Humviewer at home.  I just put four views from Humviewer in the forum earlier today at: http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?topic=7046.0   In Humviewer you can set up the player however you want.  When you get it like you want and while viewing it just click on "file" in the upper left corner of the screen and select "print snapshot" or "save snapshot" and follow the instructions to print or save an image.  One note.  It will save a file as a "jpeg" file.  That is the same thing as a jpg file but when you try to load it to the forum you will get an error.  When you save the file from humviewer specify "filename.jpg" with the file type as a "jpeg image file". If you leave off the ".jpg" it will be saved with a name the forum software doesn't like.
A snapshot made on the sonar unit will look just like the image you are looking at on the unit.  What you see is what you get. 
Good luck
Chuck
A bad day on the lake is still better than a good day at work!

Online rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 11:43:51 PM »
In addition to what Chuck mentioned..

The Snapshot feature is enabled under the Accessories tab in the main menu system...

*Snapshots cannot be taken while the unit is recording...both the Snapshot function and the Recording function are "Write Functions"...which means the data is written directly to the SD Card ...and the unit can only process 1 of those "write" functions at a time...

*Snapshots can be taken during playback of a recording...(playing back a recording is not a "Write" function...so this leaves the Snapshot function free to "write" to the SD Card )..

*A Snapshot taken during a recording will be of what the screen is showing the instant the "Mark" button is pressed (like Chuck said what you see is what you get)...because the Snapshot is basically a "screen capture" just like using the "Printscreen" button on a PC keyboard...

*Snapshots are writen directly to the card as a .png file...the unit also creates an associated .DAT file with the Snapshot...which is also writen to the SD Card ...

*The unit creates a SNAPSHOT folder on the SD Card where the Snapshot .png image and the associated .DAT file are writen to...

*The associated .DAT file must stay with the Snapshot .png file in the created SNAPSHOT folder on the SD Card...(and the SD Card must be in the card slot)...or the HB unit will not show the Snapshot in the "Snapshot and Recording" view...

*The Snapshot .png file can be transferred to the PC and opened with most any resident picture viewer program ...Windiws Picture Viewer, Paint, etc..

Rickie

« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 11:54:59 PM by rnvinc »

Offline crankin007

• Unit(s): 597, 798 HDSI
  • Software: 6.6
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 12:52:38 AM »
thanks guys so in order to get the 3 way view.... i have to be on that screen

Offline chuck41

• I'd rather be fishin'
    • Lake Ouachita Arkansas
  • Unit(s): 798ci si di Combo
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 06:35:41 AM »
thanks guys so in order to get the 3 way view.... i have to be on that screen
Yep!  You done broke the code.
I have had my 798ci for only a little over a week. Took three trips to the lake to figure this recording stuff out and I am a computer technician. 
Third time out I took a copy of the printed out version of the manual on CD with me and spent a bunch of time drifting while digging through it to figure this out.  Then recorded for about three hours in 20 to 30 minute sessions.  The menu selections are definitely NOT self-evident, but you get used to them after doing each function a few times.   
A bad day on the lake is still better than a good day at work!

Offline FlyFisher SLC

• Unit(s): 798ci hd si
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 09:33:57 AM »
Windows 7 has a great program called "Snipping Tool" that freezes the screen, let's you select area you want to copy, and then saves it as a .jpg file. 

Snipping Tool makes it a breeze to capture as much or as little of the HumViewer display as you want.  Also essentially "crops" what portion of image you want to save.  Makes it a snap to  capture and upload sonar image to HSI Forums.

Here is an example of a screen shot showing my fins interfering with transducer -- just need to move it behind me a few feet to solve problem

« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 09:38:42 AM by FlyFisher SLC »

Offline ezfishn

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 01:29:04 PM »
Recordings are a great way to learn the units and better than the simulator mode because your recordings are current and based your live conditions.  Plus you can take snapshots of menu settings as well as all the different views.  The only drawback for me is trying to remember I'm recording and trying to fish...LOL

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo