Author Topic: 20 yr Lowrance owner coming over, any regrets?  (Read 4538 times)

Offline parole05

20 yr Lowrance owner coming over, any regrets?
« on: February 05, 2010, 08:44:34 PM »
I have had Lowrance for 20 yrs.  I bought a HDS 8 last year and sent it back twice. So much clutter I could not make heads nor tails. Still  have a Lowrance 120 that works great.  I am going to purchase a 898 SI soon.  i have watched all the videos on U Tube and it looks to good to be true.  Any disappointments after getting it on the water ?  I fish freshwater lakes for crappie and bass and go to Canada once a year for walleye. I am new to SI and just joined this website yesterday and am lookinjg forward to many have a years utilizing it. Is the Down image new for this year? Can you use the unit as a regular 2D down image unit. One more question.  I see the screen with the SI and 2D at the same time. If the SI is giung out 100 feet or so, what is the 2D looking at?

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
  • Unit(s): 1197c SI, 997c SI & 785c2
  • Software: 4.950 & 4.510
  • Accessories: Interlink & GRHA
Re: 20 yr Lowrance owner coming over, any regrets?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 09:39:24 PM »
My only regret is not getting it sooner! 

I have been a loyal HB owner since 2005 and would not think of switching.  I have watched these units progress from the begining when we could only take snapshots with 987.  HB has constant improved their product and has offered free software/firmware updates ever since! I have owned a 987 and now a 997 and they both have exceeded my expectations from the begining and continue to do so!

The customer service is absolutely amazing and they listened to what the end users are saying and requesting.

Robert Gecy
Forum Administrator
Humminbird Guru and Forum Administrator

Offline George

• Unit(s): 2 - Solix 15s AutoChart Pro 1198
  • Software: Always up todate
  • Accessories: SI on Transom and Trolling Motor
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 09:49:43 PM »
parole05

Welcome aboard, I have a Globalmap 2000 since it came out and loved it.  I now have an HB 1197c and my Globalmap is in a box.

Whatever SI unit you get you will be impressed right out of the box. 

My unit worked great right out of the box, I had a little interference whin I installed a trolling motor transducer but HB's customer service sent me a quick fix.

DownImaging is new this year and we are all learning about it as we go.  You should review "The Proof of Humminbird Down Imaging" as well as do a search for downimaging.  Initially I was not sure about it, after playing with it and using some of the suggested setting I am sold on it.

Many times I just use 2d sonar it is very clear, also use a split screen DI and 2d I like this the best.  I have to tell you my 1197 10.8" screen make everything easier for me to view.

2d is not affected when looking at the split screen SI/2d.

Also, when you record the days events and play them back on your computer, you will be surprised on how much you missed while on the lake.

Spend a little time on this site before making up your mind on which unit you will get, to me the larger the better (especially for my old eyes).  No matter what you will be happy with HB's SideImaging, plus you will have some of the best customer service available, plus with this comes all of us (now over 1000 members) and we are here to help.

George

Offline Jolly Roger

• HB Addicted
  • Unit(s): HELIX 9 G3N, 998Cx SI, 959DI
  • Software: latest (mostly)
  • Accessories: AS GR50, custom towfish and: A boat!!
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 09:54:47 PM »
Hello Parole and welcome to the forum!

I bought my 981 last year in January and screwed it up on the first day. Not the unit's but my fault, because I tried to update and wasn't aware of the fact that the unit had to be reset to factory default before updating.
I was annoyed, but got excellent customer's service from G-Comm in the UK where I bought the unit. I had another problem when the unit shut off or the screen froze, but that was due to a defective battery on the boat. Another time I locked up the unit when trying to update, but could it back running by the help of some of the guys here on the forum.

After being a HB user for one year now, I state that my bird is a good and reliable machine as long as one is looking after it and knows how to update and handle it decently. All the problems I ran into were user related  :-[. The only regret I have: I didn't get a 1197. Its bigger screen is something really like to have, but that isn't aproofed by my "better half"  :-\.

I bought my Bird for wreck searching and I had to learn a lot about how Side Imaging is working, but being enthusiastic and committed, it didn't take long and I had success in wreck searching: Within the first two month on the water I found one missing sail boat and three other unknown wrecks. A fifth boat I discovered in August last year. Read more about it here: http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?board=56.0

As for fishing I cannot give you advice, but reading posts of other guys here and in the other "unofficial" HB forum, I think that it's an excellent investment for that purpose as well.

The down imaging came out new and I guess this was HB's answer to L's structure scan. You can use the unit as a regular 2D fishfinder, sure. The SI can go out up to 360 feet to the side while the 2D cone is going downwards. Robert posted some explaining pics here: http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=16

and you can also check here: http://www.humminbird.com/leading_innovation/humminbird-sonar/side-imaging.aspx

I think you'll not regret buying a Bird and reading through here will give you a good start to learn more about Side Imaging. If you got questions ---> ask! There are a lot of people around here who are more experienced than me and willing to help with their expertise.

Regards from Germany / Harry
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 10:00:31 PM by Jolly Roger »
YES,......
WE SCAN!

Offline parole05

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 12:56:29 PM »
I already know I will like the Customer Service number better. My previous brand woluld put you on hold for 45 minutes to an hour just to talk to someone. I called Humbird and someone answered right away and it suprised me!!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo