Author Topic: create "breaks" in a track?  (Read 4355 times)

Offline tspier

• Unit(s): 998c
create "breaks" in a track?
« on: August 07, 2013, 11:23:28 AM »
I am making some tracks in the *.ht format in order to upload them to my 998c. I would like to have a single track with "breaks" in it; that is, I don't want to upload 1 track for Lake A and another track for Lake B. I just want 1 track with both Lakes in it. That way, I can apply the same formatting to all Lakes w/o having to open up each track individually. I can make a single track, that's not the problem. The problem is that the last point on Lake A "connects" to the first point in Lake B, so a big, ugly line is drawn across the ground from Lake A to Lake B. Does anyone know how I can insert a break into my track file to fix this?

Offline LittleGazoo

• Unit(s): SOLIX 15 G2, SOLIX 12 G2
  • Software: 3.640
  • Accessories: Ethernet
Re: create "breaks" in a track?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 12:50:56 PM »
I've been in this:

All my tracks are bold-lines, roadbeds(black), creeks(blue), boat runs(red) and had 40-50 on one lake.  Real PIA to re-edit after Restore Defaults or system upgrade.

Humminbird units and HBPC do support individual Track Segments.  For example, I've done separate roadbed tracks and combined them into one HB track since all will be edited on my HB unit to have the same track characteristics.

I'm doing a trial run with ReefMaster software on this forum and have combined individual tracks into one track.  The track-segments are maintained as individuals in the one track(ie track-point ends are not connected) on the unit.

BUT Google Earth will falsely connect the track-segments when the HB track is sent from HBPC 4.3.8. HBPC should be fixed to send the track-segments as a track to GE.

And I need ReefMaster to not Simpfly(reduce number of track-points) by default when I combine my tracks into a Map.

My Navdata is organized my lakes, but I think ReefMaster would work for you.
Here's my earlier thread:
http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?topic=5845.msg36523#msg36523

Hopefully Matt from Reefmaster will see your post.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 01:03:39 PM by LittleGazoo »

Offline matt@reefmaster

• Unit(s): 997
  • Software: 4.75
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 03:18:55 PM »
Hi,
You can probably acheive what you want using ReefMaster - take a look at this post for details on how. Of course, it would be great (for us) if you bought the software, but even if you don't you'll probably have time to do what you need during the free trial (two weeks) - just click the link in my sig.

HT files can be segmented - the HB unit will do this itself if you start a track a long way from where you finished the last one, as far as I know, and I guess this might have been the reason the gap function was added. Also, once a track has been filled (about 21k points), it will write over itself from the beginning. The current position and the beginning of the rest of the track are separated in the same way.

It is also possible to segment tracks in GPX files using the <trkseg> tag. HBPC uses the trkseg tag itself, but puts all points in a single segment. HPBC does not honour multiple segments in a GPX track when converting that to HT format - it would be a nice feature if it did. I am not sure if GE does. RM can combine multiple tracks and output a single GPX track with multiple segments.

The next release of ReefMaster will include an option to specify the level of simplification when combining tracks.

thanks,
Matt

ReefMaster - Waypoint Management and Underwater Mapping Software for Fishermen

Offline tspier

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 10:10:42 PM »
Thanks for the help, worked like a charm. All I would need the RM software for is making these tracks with gaps in them - does the free version do that?

Offline matt@reefmaster

• Unit(s): 997
  • Software: 4.75
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 01:45:11 AM »
Hi,

The Free version only supports reading and writing in GPX format, and does not support combining tracks.
The LITE version can combine tracks and read and write in HT format, so that might be an option if you are not interested in creating depth maps, and don't need the full version.

thanks,
Matt
ReefMaster - Waypoint Management and Underwater Mapping Software for Fishermen

Offline tspier

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 05:34:20 PM »
OK, that's what it looked like to me. I use ArcGIS for mapping, so the Lite version seems like the way to go for me. Thanks!

Offline LittleGazoo

• Unit(s): SOLIX 15 G2, SOLIX 12 G2
  • Software: 3.640
  • Accessories: Ethernet
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 01:16:19 PM »
Using ReefMaster sofar I have merged individual tracks into one track containing multiple track-segments very nicely.

Use ReefMaster merge the tracks and write as .HT files into a SD-card's MATRIX folder.

HumminbirdPC( current version 4.3.8 ) can download and will maintain the track's separate track-segments so you can join these tracks with your other waypoints and routes.
And you will have your navdata as a back-up on your PC.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo