Author Topic: 1197 OR 997  (Read 7108 times)

Offline blharr4400

• Unit(s): 788Ci Combo 1197C SI COMBO
  • Software: 4.78 and 4.75
  • Accessories: Weathersense, Interlink
1197 OR 997
« on: January 02, 2010, 11:45:19 AM »
HELLO ALL,

I AM NEW TO POSTING ON THE FORUM BUT NOT NEW TO VISITING IT SO I AM HOPING A FEW OF YOU CAN GIVE ME SOME ADVICE.  AFTER A YEAR A BEGGING THE WIFE AND SAVING MONEY I AM READY TO EITHER PURCHASE A 1197C SI OR A 997C SI.  BELOW ARE A FEW QUESTIONS THAT REMAIN UNANSWERED TO ME AND ANYONES ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

1)  OTHER THEN THE SIZE OF THE DISPLAY (LCD) IS THERE ANYTHING DIFFERENT BETWEEN THE TWO UNITS?

2)  I HAVE A TRITON TR18DC WITH A 150HP MERC.  THE LOCAL HUMMINBIRD DEALER TELLS ME I NEED A JACK PLATE INSTALLED ON MY BOAT TO MAKE THE SI WORK CORRECTLY...  WHAT ARE YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS OR EXPERIENCES?

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD ANOTHER INPUT OR COMMENTS AS I WOULD LIKE TO MAKE SURE I MAKE THE CORRECT CHOICE OF UNITS THE FIRST TIME.  ALSO THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR REPLY

BEN
I wont always catch fish but they are never going to sleep through me being there!!!

Offline Whitedog

• Unit(s): 1197NVB
Re: 1197 OR 997
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 02:49:01 PM »
Hello Ben and welcome from the other newest member.  I can't really tell you all the differences in the units but I fished with friends who have both and made the decision to buy the 1197 based solely on the display size.  Details are larger and easier to see on the bigger display.  The 997 is a great unit and I almost bought it but I finally bit bullet and went for the 1197.  I don't think you would be disappointed in either unit but if price is not a big issue you might be happier with the 1197. 

My understanding is that you only need undisturbed water around the xducer and an unobstructed view to either side of the xducer for si to work.  I really don't see that you have to have a jack plate.  Maybe someone will chime in who has one working without a jack plate.  I'd think you could try it on your present set up then if there are problems you can always add the plate.

Offline George

• Unit(s): 2 - Solix 15s AutoChart Pro 1198
  • Software: Always up todate
  • Accessories: SI on Transom and Trolling Motor
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 05:02:04 PM »
Ben,

The 2010 units will be out soon, but a lot of places may continue to sell the 2009 units for some time.  The 997 is being upgraded to the 998 unit which have a number of improvements.  The 2010 1197 version will have ContourXD and do not know of other changes except for the software updates.

From reading, the 998 will have:
Faster Processor, Video output port, ethernet port, ContourXD base map. 

Changes that will come with the 998 SI but can be updated via software updates to the 997 and the 1197 units are: Down Imaging, Switchfire, Lake Master Map Card compatibility, Waypoint Management system.

I have an 1197 and would not trade it for anything (other then for a later version when they come out).  The bottom line is the difference between the 1197 and the 998 will be the screen size.

As far as mounting the transducers, someone will be able to help you with your placement.  A few of the folks have recommended using a temporary set up until the correct place is found.  Do a search for mounting the transducer. 

Hey guys please correct me where I may have strayed.  Also your thought on the transducer placement would be helpful.

George

« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 05:15:01 PM by George »

IRC Kevin

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 11:32:48 AM »
Not sure what a jack plate is, but imagine it's a spacer of some sort, however if it's to allow mounting further down the transom you've got to be careful that it doesn't protrude below the hull and set off turbulence, which would interfere with the picture. A 150 hp outboard sounds like a large motor. I've a Bayliner 2855 and found that I needed two transom-mounted transducers and a y-connection cable to get enough angle to clear the outdrive leg.

Offline garyr

• Tundra Tracker 21SC. Mississippi Rvr & Great Lakes
  • Unit(s): 1197si; 957 & Interlink
  • Software: 4.700
  • Accessories: MinnKota Terrova 101 Univ2
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 04:53:00 PM »
Kalamazoo, MI
Welcome!
I would go with the 1197. I have it. I am glad I did. If you have the expendable cash to upgrade to the flagship, do it.
Ducer placement. I had problems initially. I had a marine service install. I found out on the water it was installed incorrectly. The right si was not working correctly.
I contacted Humminbird hq and Tracker Marine for their advise. I sent a jpeg of the transom. They determined the best location.
This is the story. The first install the 2d worked from 0 to top speed. The si right side image did not. Remember, the si is good for speeds less than 5 mph.
After the reinstall the si worked well, but the 2d did not work at speeds greater than 5 mph.
I have a dilemma. Do I buy another 2d unit for seeing the depth. Or do I place it in a third place where I know it will work for both situations (2d & si).

Gary Rolsch, Moline IL
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 06:24:06 PM by garyr »

Offline soretoe

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 09:18:18 PM »
I would go with which ever unit I could afford. The 1197 is a better choice because of the display area. You might see things that I cant see on my little 798.

A jack plate is for raising or lowering your motor to make your boat perform the way you want it to. It is also a convenient place for a transducer but not necessary for it.
Freedom isnt free, if you want to know the real cost visit a national cemetery or VA Hospital.

I can also be found at;
http://allatoonabass.proboards.com/

Offline Jolly Roger

• HB Addicted
  • Unit(s): HELIX 9 G3N, 998Cx SI, 959DI
  • Software: latest (mostly)
  • Accessories: AS GR50, custom towfish and: A boat!!
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 02:56:51 PM »
Soretoe,
I disagree that the motor jackplate as a good place to mount the transducer. In my opinion it's too close to the propeller and might get interference.

Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Regards / Harry
YES,......
WE SCAN!

Offline keizerh

• Unit(s): none
  • Accessories: ASHH and VC cable
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 03:34:06 PM »
Harry,

A lot of boats have it under the jackplate, directly behind the transom.
So the drive is behind the xducer and the prop even further.
As long as you're moving forward, you'll leave the propwash behind you and the ducer can look to port and starboard in front of the drive.
hendrik

Offline soretoe

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 10:22:26 PM »
Soretoe,
I disagree that the motor jackplate as a good place to mount the transducer. In my opinion it's too close to the propeller and might get interference.

Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Regards / Harry

keizerh posted what I was going to say in answer to your post.
Freedom isnt free, if you want to know the real cost visit a national cemetery or VA Hospital.

I can also be found at;

Offline Jolly Roger

• HB Addicted
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 06:38:25 PM »

keizerh posted what I was going to say in answer to your post.

Hm,
that might be good news to me, 'cause I want to go for a dual transducer set up and relocate the single one I have. HB states that the ducer should have a minimum distance to the prop. Doesn't that count if the ducer is in front of the prop? I'm not talking about venting the prop, just that the ducer might get interferences from the prop.

Regards / (puzzled) Harry
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 06:42:47 PM by Jolly Roger »
YES,......
WE SCAN!

Offline soretoe

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 08:08:45 AM »
A manufacturer will test their product in many configurations. We do not know what kind of boat, and it would be impossible to test on every boat made. I know they have several reliable and very competent people out in the field testing for them, I'm guessing its pros and others that they sponsor. When they recommend a specification it is the ideal location for what they tested. Most of the installs that I have done I never paid attention to distance from the motor. I found what I considered to be a good location for that boat. None have complained. Take all that with a grain of salt because I do not know your boat or circumstance. But if you think it needs to be in a place that is only 15 inches away, try it.

There are suction cup devices out there that actually work. That is what I would use to find the optimum location for a boat if I had the time and money......

I can also be found at;

Offline Jolly Roger

• HB Addicted
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 10:05:34 AM »
There are suction cup devices out there that actually work. That is what I would use to find the optimum location for a boat if I had the time and money......

Exactly what I had in my mind Soretoe  ;).
If the new location isn't good, I'll leave the ducer in its old place. But that's still three months away....

Regards / Harry

YES,......
WE SCAN!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo