Author Topic: Which humminbird Model do I have ...  (Read 4097 times)

Offline gxprice

• Unit(s): Currently Unknown
Which humminbird Model do I have ...
« on: September 12, 2012, 06:06:53 AM »
Humminbird afficianados,

New here having just acquired a 5 mtr RIB with a Humminbird Fishfinder unit (sort of ...). The (swivelling) cradle is there as are all the pieces (cable, transducer or whatever) to provide the signal to a unit. Problem is, the unit itself is not there! I don't know what the model might be and I'd like to replace it, ideally using the existing installation. I know the person I bought the boat from (brother-in-law) but he cannot remember the unit name / reference (he broke / lost the unit sometime ago) and has no documentation that would help.

The question therefore is, what unit (or unit options since I'd prefer colour?) can I buy and plug into the current cradle? Here are some clues that I've collected:
   Unit was purchased new in 2005 with the boat. Presume 2005 (late 2004 model).
   We've looked at the web and he thinks his old unit looked similar to the current model fishfinder 325 (monochrome version)
   The picture of the cradle is attached with the pin layout (presume power + transducer signals)

That's about all I have to go on! Any help or comment greatly appreciated :)

Regards,

Gary.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: Which humminbird Model do I have ...
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 02:16:28 PM »
Gary,
It could be one of many different models as we have produced many that used that type of unit mount, temp/speed gauge, power connector and transducer (a type “6” connector).  We currently do not make any units that will fit that transducer, unless you also purchase an adapter – and then the unit may not have the full sonar capability it should have.  Normally we package our units with a transducer, so you will get the transducer that your new unit needs to be using.

Many of our current units use the same type of quick release mount but some of the cable connectors have changed.

If you want, I can try and provide a listing of units that may or may not have been used with that mount and transducer but it will be a long list…  To help narrow things down you could post back the model of the transducer.  It should be printed in white or yellow ink on the cable within the first three feet of the connector that is in the mount.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline gxprice

• Unit(s): Currently Unknown
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 02:43:01 AM »
Thanks very much indeed for the information Greg. I won't be with the boat for another 4 weeks but will pull a few things apart and try to get some numbers as additional reference material. What I wanted to avoid was going anywhere near the wiring and wherever the transducer is (no clue currently whether it's inboard or sticking out of a hole in the boat, which end it's at etc.). Since these units must have come on a long way (including I presume, transducer technology/accuracy), it may be that I bite the bullet, buy a new unit entirely and use existing wires (or at least, existing routing/placement) to install it.

I'll unscrew the mount next time I'm in the boat and take a look for the reference info in any case :)

Thanks again :)

Best,

Gary.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 09:40:58 AM »
I think that installing a new unit is your best option Gary.  That way you will have a solid installation (most of the complaints we get are boat power/wiring related) and a unit with a warranty just in case something goes wrong with it.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo