Author Topic: 998c SI v 5.410 Glitch or Update Installation Error???  (Read 6381 times)

Offline 96720

• Unit(s): 998c si
  • Software: v5.410
998c SI v 5.410 Glitch or Update Installation Error???
« on: April 14, 2011, 01:35:48 PM »
Updated my 998c SI from the factory v 4.88 to v 5.410 via SD card, and followed all the recommended procedures for installation.  This solved my initial problem of conflicting values in my digital depth numerical readout and chart depth readout.  Also, this allowed me to obtain accurate shallow hard bottom depth readings on both my digital numeric depth readout and plot track log data.  Now, the “glitch” or “update installation error”:

1)On the initial run with the update newly installed the track plot data did not record any depth for the first 251 tracks, although the unit was displaying the correct digital numeric and chart depths.  Then, from the 252 track on it was recording fine.  On track 250 it recorded some “random” location about 43 miles NW of my actual location but was not indicated on the units visual display of the track plot.

2)On day 2 the unit did not display depth again for the first 224 track entries and it was giving a lat/long data of a location 13 miles due north of my location and following the same transect pattern I was doing.  The visual track plot display was showing my actual location.  Then again, for some reason it begins to record depth and true location coordinates the rest of the day.  This time on track 223 my correct location coordinates was recorded among the incorrect location data being recorded.

I’ll be mapping again this morning and will report back on today’s episode.  Can’t really figure what’s going on…. is it a software glitch that can be resolved or should I just reload the update and see if it does the fix??  Any suggestions and comments will truly be appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: 998c SI v 5.410 Glitch or Update Installation Error???
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 04:16:48 PM »
I would make sure that I was deleting the current track before starting to record any data.

If that does not help than maybe load and older version software first, than re-download the current software and try it again.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline 96720

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 05:59:35 PM »
I would make sure that I was deleting the current track before starting to record any data.

If that does not help than maybe load and older version software first, than re-download the current software and try it again.

I'll give your suggestion a try the next time I get out (but, not in about 2 weeks), Greg.  When you say load the "older" version first do you mean the v 4.970 (which I never installed) then the v 5.410? 

Offline 96720

Day 3 after updating to v5.410
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 07:01:57 PM »
Now, the “glitch” or “update installation error”:

1)On the initial run with the update newly installed the track plot data did not record any depth for the first 251 tracks, although the unit was displaying the correct digital numeric and chart depths.  Then, from the 252 track on it was recording fine.  On track 250 it recorded some “random” location about 43 miles NW of my actual location but was not indicated on the units visual display of the track plot.

2)On day 2 the unit did not display depth again for the first 224 track entries and it was giving a lat/long data of a location 13 miles due north of my location and following the same transect pattern I was doing.  The visual track plot display was showing my actual location.  Then again, for some reason it begins to record depth and true location coordinates the rest of the day.  This time on track 223 my correct location coordinates was recorded among the incorrect location data being recorded.

I’ll be mapping again this morning and will report back on today’s episode.

Okay, here goes "episode 3".

Today I only got 17 tracks of no depth data.  The location coordinates were accurate then, as before, the data logs a random location (on the 16th entry) then begins recording the correct depth.  An interesting note is that the "random location" given this time was only 380 feet away from the one I had on day one.   Any ideas??

Offline FuzzyGrub

• Joe Fish
  • Unit(s): 999ci HD, 798ci HD, 597ci HD DI
  • Software: Latest
  • Accessories: TSW,
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 07:05:49 AM »
Hi, its the guy from iBoats that was trying to help you.

I am not a big believer in S/W upload being corrupted (and unit can still run) but it's easy to do. 

Is there someone elses GPS receiver that you can try for a day?  All those connections good?   

BTW: what kind of a gps fix do you get in Hawaii? 

Do you have stable voltage at the unit?  via the screen monitor.

Yea, I'm grasping, but don't know what else for you to try.   There are people here that have used the mapping data much more than I.
If it bends my rod, I'm a happy fisherman.

JohnS

http://joefishin.com/

Offline 96720

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 02:05:40 PM »
Hi, its the guy from iBoats that was trying to help you.

I am not a big believer in S/W upload being corrupted (and unit can still run) but it's easy to do. 

Is there someone elses GPS receiver that you can try for a day?  All those connections good?   

BTW: what kind of a gps fix do you get in Hawaii? 

Do you have stable voltage at the unit?  via the screen monitor.

Yea, I'm grasping, but don't know what else for you to try.   There are people here that have used the mapping data much more than I.

The GPS fixes out here are "fair" not as good as on the US mainland.  Lower to the horizon and fewer satellites to get fixes from.

My electrical system is pretty stable.

Offline 96720

A little more to ponder....
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 02:07:53 PM »
Out of curiosity I mapped the coordinates of the random position given and my actual position of day one and day three just before the unit began recording the depth in the track plot data log.  On day one and three the random locations and my actual locations were 383 feet apart and the bearing between the two were identical at 348 degrees.  And, the random locations were 49.7 miles away at 293 degrees both times.  In subtracting the actual and random positions coordinates, for both days from each other the latitude values were .27849 & .27850 and the longitude values were exactly the same at .70566.  Does this pattern have any significance in what may be the cause of my track plot data recording issue?

Offline 96720

episode 4
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 03:41:17 PM »
Well, had a chance to get out yesterday and try the suggestion HB Greg had to offer.  I cleared all navigation data before I began recording and had everything else “cleaned up”.  Checked my data this morning and found that I had the same occurrence happen again.  This time I had the data log a random location on the 74th entry but, kept recording no depth until another random location was logged on the 86th entry.  Again, both locations were the same distance and heading as they were on my 3rd episode.  This time the latitude values were identical at .27850 and longitude values were also identical at .70565.  This “random location” or the addition of a common numeric value to the latitude and longitude seems to be consistent occurrence. Could this be the cause of my software related track log data recording issues?  Any other ideas or suggestions?  I’ll be trying HB Greg’s other idea of loading v4.970 before my next survey and see if it does the trick. Thanks again.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo