Author Topic: humminbird as-gr16 16 channel gps receiver  (Read 5007 times)

Offline johnca51

• Unit(s): Matrix 55
humminbird as-gr16 16 channel gps receiver
« on: February 02, 2013, 05:16:00 AM »
Hi,
I am new to this site so please bear with me. I bought a Matrix  55 combo unit in 2005. A Cancer diagnosis shortly after restricted me from using my boat until now that I have finally got myself back to a level of fitness to try and venture out again. I was installing a GME VHF radio and tried to connect it to the NMEA output of the Matrix without success. The next thing was I lost the GPS function altogether on the Matrix. I have checked all of the connections, plugs and wiring and all is OK. The only thing I can put it down to is the receiver/antenna decided to malfunction just at the time I was playing around with the wiring. I don't think I connected any wires around the wrong way, but who knows.
Are these antennas prone to break down as there seems to be plenty for sale on the internet?
Does the unit only recognise the navigation and the main menu only show the navigation icon if in fact the antenna is connected.
I have ordered a new antenna but in the meantime if any one can throw any light on what may have happened it would be appreciated
On the subject of connecting the GME radio, there are a black and red wire from the GPS plug on the radio and the pigtail on the matrix has a black,red and white wire. I originally connected the black wires together and the white wire on the matrix to the red wire on the radio. I also turned on the NMEA output in the advanced menu on the matrix.
The latitude and longtitude did not appear on the Radio.
It was shortly after I disconnected all the wires, not being successful that the navigation/Gps went down on the Matrix.
I hope the new Antenna gets me going again!
Anyway look forward to any suggestions or advice.
Thanks John

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: humminbird as-gr16 16 channel gps receiver
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 11:26:58 AM »
John,
The Matrix 55 will only show the menus and Views related to GPS if it is in fact receiving NMEA data from the GPS Receiver.

It could be that the GPS Receiver decided to fail at that time but making the wrong wiring connection with the Red wire from the Humminbird GPS pigtail wires could short out a part inside the Matrix 55 unit itself.  You can try disconnecting all of the wires in the GPS pigtail and see if it will work but if it does not than I suspect that the damage is internal to the Matrix 55 unit itself.

I am not familiar with the wiring on the GME radios.  The White wire from the Humminbird GPS Receiver should be connected to their NMEA Input wire.  The Black is our NMEA Ground and should go to their NMEA Ground connection.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline johnca51

• Unit(s): Matrix 55
Re: humminbird as-gr16 16 channel gps receiver
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 11:15:31 PM »
Thanks Greg,
As I mentioned I have ordered a new GPS receiver and will give that a try. At least it should confirm whether the Unit or the receiver is at fault. I have a suspicion that the red wire may have come in contact with the other wires whilst trying various connections to get the longitude/latitude showing on the DSC radio,  so it could be that as you say something may have shorted inside the unit.
I have been on to BLA, your Australian agent and they tell me they do repairs to Sounders etc. at their head office. I am hopeful that it is the receiver only as it will make things a lot easier, but anyway i do appreciate your quick reply and assistance given. I will let you know how I go.
Kind regards
John

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo