Author Topic: Maybe someone can scratch their head with me on this one.  (Read 5614 times)

Offline lcookie

• Unit(s): 998SI/1198SI/788DI/587DI
  • Software: 6.68/6.64/6.64/6.09
  • Accessories: Ethernet, GRHA, ASGPSHS,WeatherSense
Maybe someone can scratch their head with me on this one.
« on: August 23, 2011, 11:12:54 PM »
I have an 1198 at my console and a 997 up front on my metal boat.  I have a Terrova TM and interference has been a big issue with me.  Hbird CS has helped all they can at this point but it is still there.  I have used various unit settings to get rid of it as best I can.  On to my problem.  When in water that is say 5 to 60 ft I can run the 1198 and the TM at the same time with no issues.  Whenever I go into shallower and/or deeper water I get so much interference that I can not read anything on my si or di screen.  The 2d works just fine.  Can anyone shed some light as to why this only happens in very deep or very shallow water?  The same goes for the 997 in the deep water only.  When this is happening, I only have one unit on at a time.

Thanks,

Offline ITGEEK

• Unit(s): 1198c -Team Watters SS - Lexerd SP
  • Software: 7.670
  • Accessories: XM Weather - Weathersense
Re: Maybe someone can scratch their head with me on this one.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 08:13:54 AM »
From what you say, I think your biggest problem is interference from your trolling motor.
Who knows why at some depths it shows up more than other depths.
I think your very best bet is to try and eliminate this interference completely before doing anything else.  Because, with this interference, I wouldn't trust what your sonars are telling you, especially the depth.  You're units just won't work properly with this constant interference.

If you are running your sonars and TM from the same battery, then get yourself a
dedicated battery just for your sonars.  They don't draw much, so it doesn't have to be a big
battery.  Also, if any of your electrical wires come close to each other, try running them
at right angles (like a cross).

Good Luck.

Offline lcookie

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 07:06:13 PM »
The depth and pictures I am getting are to be trusted.  When I don't have the trolling motor in the water I get the same data in the areas I fish.  I have a dedicated battery for my electronics.  I have also run my power wires down one side and data cables down the other.  I have even run power wires from the battery on the deck of the boat directly to the TM to test it.  Same problem.  I have pretty much resolved to dealing with it as the majority of my fishing is in 10 to 30 ft.  When i am in deeper water I am on the big boy or just use my 2d.  Just wanted to put it out there to see if anyone had a clue. 

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
  • Unit(s): 1197c SI, 997c SI & 785c2
  • Software: 4.950 & 4.510
  • Accessories: Interlink & GRHA
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 07:09:18 PM »
Do you have the TM Interference kit installed?
Humminbird Guru and Forum Administrator

Offline lcookie

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 06:37:24 AM »
Not sure what all comes with the kit.  What I have is the chokes on all my power connections and my interlink connections.  And I have the big choke on the trolling motor power cable.  What else would there be?

Offline ITGEEK

• Unit(s): 1198c -Team Watters SS - Lexerd SP
  • Software: 7.670
  • Accessories: XM Weather - Weathersense
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 07:38:21 AM »
It seems to me that if you are getting interference, that it will also affect the 2D.
I had an interference issue and every single screen was affected, and the depth was all over
the place.

If the trolling motor and sonars are wired the way you say, then I don't see how it's possible for the TM to be interfering at all with your sonars.

Maybe what you are thinking is interference is based on your settings for DI and SI.
You may not be getting the best picture you can based on your settings.

It would help if you could put up some screen shots of what you are calling interference.

The best way to test this is to turn off your TM and look at your sonars.
Then turn on the TM.  If the sonar screens look different with the TM on as opposed to when
it's off, then it's interference, otherwise it's not.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 07:39:57 AM by ITGEEK »

Offline Drafto

• Unit(s): 798 si HD
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 08:50:13 AM »
The only thing I can add to this is that I have a 798 Si HD, and when I first tested the unit out of the water once I got it hooked up I had the interference.  In my own brain I began to panic because I have read plenty of horror stories.  When I water tested the interference was gone.  So in my playing in the driveway, and talking to a few electrical engineers at my work I learned that the TM motor (electric motor at the bottom itself) is what emits the RF pollution.

There are more fixes on the web like the fuse in the top of the trolling motor, grounding the skeg ect....  Luckily in my case just getting the the motor away from the unit fixed my issue.  Does the TM effect the unit at your console?

Dan

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 03:14:44 PM »
In many cases the interference from the trolling motor is passed along through the vary air that we breathe.  Its RF (Radio Frequency) interference and while a good electrical connection will pass it on to another device; it can pass through air as well.  It is because of this that it is so hard to guard against it or to make one gadget that is the ‘fix-all’ for all Customers with this problem, especially since some small things (like how wires lay in relation to one another) can make such a big difference.

As to why most get trolling motor interference on the DI or Si sonar and not the 2D sonar: this is frequency related.  More of the interference is in the 455k frequency range versus the 200kHz range, though we have seen where some trolling motors interfere on both.

If your boat is not in the water; it may not have a completely grounded system until either the main motor or trolling motor (in some cases both) are also in the water to complete the electrical circuit.

Lcookie, it sounds like you have all of the components from a trolling motor interference kit already installed.  I would continue to pursue this with the Humminbird Customer Resource folks as they get to bend the ear of Engineering about this when the standard fixes do not work.  As to why it happens only at certain water depths; my guess would be that we are than transmitting and receiving more often and that this allows the RF energy from the trolling motor affect the sonar more – but than that gets back to your particular situation as I have heard of trolling motor interference at all water depths.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo