Author Topic: Quality,Dependability and which unit to buy  (Read 8885 times)

Offline N9Phil

• Unit(s): Solix 15 SI - Onix10 CI SI - 1198 CSI
  • Accessories: 80Terova W/ i-Link -- 360
Quality,Dependability and which unit to buy
« on: February 06, 2016, 09:38:43 AM »
As I read some of the comments made on this and other forums regarding Quality and dependability of their equipment and why there is not many glowing comments of certain models of equipment I would like to comment.

There is no new equipment weather it is Electronic or mechanical where EVERY unit works without any material or manufacturing defect.  This is the reason for a Warranty.  Now there also many problems on new equipment that are a result of operator problems.  Today’s electronic devices can be very complicated and there are steep learning curves.  Unfortunately some do not want to take the time to read the manual or watch the many videos available to figure out how to use the equipment and understand all of the functions available.   I have been working with electronic equipment for over 50 years and believe me there is nothing out there that doesn't at times cause problems.  Being able to get it fixed is what counts and Humminbird is one of the best in correcting problems with there equipment.

We are fortunate to have sites like this one where we can pick the minds of others when we run into a problem that we do not understand.

When I am in the market for a piece of equipment I look at the features available.  When I bought my 1198, I did because I wanted a larger screen. My 798  screen was just to small.  The 1198 served me well and I was able to download my info to allow me to use Dr Depth to make maps of my favorite lakes it also allowed me to network the 360 and connect to i Link on my trolling motor.  The Onix was out for over a year before I purchased it so I felt that most of the initial bugs were worked out. I did have a problem with the Onix right out of the box  but Humminbird took care of that right away.  One of the reasons that I went with the Onix was because of Auto Chart Live.  This is a feature that was only available on the Onix at the time. There are many other features that the Onix has that are great to have. Today if I was looking to purchase a new unit I would probably look at the Helix 12 not only because of the price but because of the features.  However there is no way I am going to give up my Onix 10 to go to a Helix.   

When looking to upgrade you have to look at all of the features that the units have and figure out witch ones that you would like to have for your type of fishing and what fits into your budget.

Phil
Solix 15 SI  Onix10 CI SI - 1198 CSIAccessories:80Terova W/ i-Link -- Transom 360

Offline afaust

• Unit(s): Helix 5 SI GPS KVD
  • Software: 7.78
  • Accessories: 32GB micro SD
Re: Quality,Dependability and which unit to buy
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 03:12:00 PM »
I agree with you concerning electronics and many other items out on the market.If you do not read the manual, you cannot effectively use your electronics correctly, and warnings in the manual won't be seen and may cause the issues that are found. You cant blame the equipment for an error 18 or an I.D. 10 T error... lol. (computer joke, if you want to know the details, PM me..)

I research the units I'm interested in, check pricing, check features and decide based on what I want. I know that I'm going to have trouble at the begininng because I do not know everything about the unit, but I ask questions, seek answers, and luckily, we have the net....

Allan

Offline fishreed

• fishreed
  • Unit(s): 899CI SI HD,1199SI HD, Helix 12 SI GEN3
  • Software: current
  • Accessories: ALL, and a HW ducer for the Helix 12 2D
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 02:55:42 AM »
As I read some of the comments made on this and other forums regarding Quality and dependability of their equipment and why there is not many glowing comments of certain models of equipment I would like to comment.

There is no new equipment weather it is Electronic or mechanical where EVERY unit works without any material or manufacturing defect.  This is the reason for a Warranty.  Now there also many problems on new equipment that are a result of operator problems.  Today’s electronic devices can be very complicated and there are steep learning curves.  Unfortunately some do not want to take the time to read the manual or watch the many videos available to figure out how to use the equipment and understand all of the functions available.   I have been working with electronic equipment for over 50 years and believe me there is nothing out there that doesn't at times cause problems.  Being able to get it fixed is what counts and Humminbird is one of the best in correcting problems with there equipment.

We are fortunate to have sites like this one where we can pick the minds of others when we run into a problem that we do not understand.

When I am in the market for a piece of equipment I look at the features available.  When I bought my 1198, I did because I wanted a larger screen. My 798  screen was just to small.  The 1198 served me well and I was able to download my info to allow me to use Dr Depth to make maps of my favorite lakes it also allowed me to network the 360 and connect to i Link on my trolling motor.  The Onix was out for over a year before I purchased it so I felt that most of the initial bugs were worked out. I did have a problem with the Onix right out of the box  but Humminbird took care of that right away.  One of the reasons that I went with the Onix was because of Auto Chart Live.  This is a feature that was only available on the Onix at the time. There are many other features that the Onix has that are great to have. Today if I was looking to purchase a new unit I would probably look at the Helix 12 not only because of the price but because of the features.  However there is no way I am going to give up my Onix 10 to go to a Helix.   

When looking to upgrade you have to look at all of the features that the units have and figure out witch ones that you would like to have for your type of fishing and what fits into your budget.

Phil

So what does the Onix 10  have the Helix 12  doesn't other than the  12 inch screen and $1000 bucks less in price?

Offline N9Phil

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 11:06:45 AM »
Here are some reviews where you can compare the units mentioned
One nice feature of the Onix is you are able to use side imaging and down imaging while using 360.  The Helix shuts off the DI and SI when using 360.

It can be a job to determine what is best for your situation.  Have fun.

Phil

http://hummingbirdfishfinderreviews.com/category/humminbird-onix-series/

Here is a list of Helix12 features

Humminbird Helix 12 - Chirp Si GPS
Manufacture ID: 410030-1
The HELIX 12 CHIRP SI GPS features a large 12.1" display with LED backlight, Side Imaging and Down Imaging sonar with CHIRP sonar with up to 8000 Watts PTP power output, GPS Chartplotting with built-in ContourXD maps, and Ethernet networking capabilities. Includes unit cover.

*Optional 50 kHz transducers available for extreme deepwater use and to obtain 1000 watts.

*Optional Chirp transducer purchase required for 28kHz to 250kHz and maximum 3500 ft depth performance

Features:

- Exclusive Multi-Range Chirp: View low, mid and high Chirp ranges, either individually or all at once
- 360 Imaging: We have you surrounded. 360 Imaging allows you to isolate your sweep, see 5 preset views or see all around you
- Side Imaging Sonar: Gain a 180 side to side perspective on the world below the surface
- Down Imaging Sonar: Get a fish-eye's view of what's happening below your boat. Incredible images are created with High-frequency sound waves
- SwitchFire Sonar: Take command of how your sonar returns appear with Clear and Max Modes
- Dualbeam Plus Sonar: Two beams combine for great detail and a wide coverage area. Use the narrow beam for high-accuracy returns and bottom. Use the wide beam when you want a larger search area
- Internal GPS: GPS antenna built into the head unit
- Up-gradable Software: Access software updates to enhance the performance of your Humminbird unit through the My Humminbird section of the site
- Dual SD Card Slots: Use one slot for advanced cartography and the other to save screenshots, sonar recordings and waypoints
- High Definition Display: Provides bright, crystal-clear images for easy viewing in harsh sunlight
- Contour XD: Built-in base map cartography that covers 3,000 US lakes with depth contours and many other locations without contours
- Ethernet: Rig up the ultimate fishing system. Use the 5-Port Ethernet switch to link together multiple Humminbird head units or share transducers
- HD Radar: In darkness and fog, busy channels and treacherous weather, situational awareness is the name of the game
- AIS: Battle fish - not other boats. Humminbird's state of the art AIS technology takes the risk and guesswork out of navigating high-traffic channels or low-visibility seas
- Autopilot: Never deviate from your route with the precise control and proven performance of your Humminbird Autopilot System
- NMEA 2000 ready: Boat performance, weather or water conditions, make sense of it all with networking solutions
- i-Pilot Link: An integrated GPS Trolling System available on select Minn Kota Terrova and PowerDrive V2 motors which enable your motor and Humminbird to communicate
- AutoChart Live: Make a map where there is no map. The patent pending AutoChart Live allows you to create digital, detailed maps live and on the water. You can also use it to enhance your existing charts
- NMEA 2000: Get an at-a-glance view of fuel consumption, engine performance and other vessel data
- Wireless: Take wireless control of your Humminbird with the new Bluetooth Remote and Dongle

Specifications:

- Display Size - Diagonal: 12.1"
- Display Pixel Matrix: 1280H x 800V
- Display Type: Color TFT
- Display Colors Grayscale: 65,000 Colors
- Sonar Standard: Broadband Chirp/HD Side Imaging/HD Down Imaging/DualBeam PLUS
- Standard Sonar Coverage: 20 , 60 , (2) 86 & (2) 55 @ -10db (Total of 180 )
- Standard Sonar Frequency: 200/83/455/800/50* kHz
- Sonar Optional: 28kHz to 250kHz
- Target Separation: 2.5"
- Power Output RMS: 1000 Watts*
- Power Output Peak to Peak: 8000 Watts*
- Depth Capability: 150 ft (SI/DI), 1500 ft, 3500 ft*
- Temperature: Built-In Transducer
- Speed: GPS Speed Included
- Backlight: LED
- Unit Size - Gimbal Mount: 14.86"W x 8.83"H x 4.25"D
- Mount A Type: Gimbal Mount
- Unit Size - Indash Mount: 14.86"W x 8.52"H x 1.36"D
- Mounting Options: Optional In-Dash Mounting Kit
- Transducer Standard: XHS 9 HDSI 180 T
- Transducer Mounting: Transom
- Power Input: 10-20 VDC
- Power Draw: 1.75 Amps
- GPS Receiver: Included
- GPS Tracking: Included
- GPS Chartplotting: Included
- Waypoints, Routes, Tracks/Points: 2,500, 47, 50/20,000
- Humminbird Mapping: Optional
- Navionics Gold/HotMaps: Optional
- Navionics Platinum+: Optional
- Platinum Capable: Optional
- C-Map 4D: Not Supported
- 360 Imaging: Optional
- i-Pilot Link: Optional
- HD Radar: Optional
- NMEA 2000: Optional
- 5 Port Expansion Module: Optional
- WeatherSense: Not Supported
- Precision GPS: Included
- Heading Sensor GPS: Optional
- PC Connect: Optional
- External GPS Receiver: Optional
- AS Interlink: Not Supported
- AIS Compatability: Optional
- SwitchFire Sonar: Included
- Screen Snap Shot: Included
- Sonar Recording: Included
- Humminbird PC: Included
- Upgradable Internal Software: Included
- Split Screen Zoom: Included
- Split Screen Bottom Lock: Included
- 3D Chart View: Included
- Large Digits View: Included
- Wide/Narrow Cone Split Screen: Included
- Custom View Selections: Included
- Custom Digital Readout: Included
- View Preset Keys: Included
- Temperature Graph: Included
- Temperature Alarm: Included
- Freeze Frame: Included
- Instant Image Update: Included
- Mark Structure on Sonar: Included
- Selective Fish ID+: Included
- Real Time Sonar: Included
- Triplog: Included
- X-Press Menu System: Included
- Card Reader Available: Yes

Solix 15 SI  Onix10 CI SI - 1198 CSIAccessories:80Terova W/ i-Link -- Transom 360

Offline fishreed

• fishreed
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 02:23:44 PM »
Here are some reviews where you can compare the units mentioned
One nice feature of the Onix is you are able to use side imaging and down imaging while using 360.  The Helix shuts off the DI and SI when using 360.

It can be a job to determine what is best for your situation.  Have fun.

Phil

http://hummingbirdfishfinderreviews.com/category/humminbird-onix-series/

Here is a list of Helix12 features

Humminbird Helix 12 - Chirp Si GPS
Manufacture ID: 410030-1
The HELIX 12 CHIRP SI GPS features a large 12.1" display with LED backlight, Side Imaging and Down Imaging sonar with CHIRP sonar with up to 8000 Watts PTP power output, GPS Chartplotting with built-in ContourXD maps, and Ethernet networking capabilities. Includes unit cover.

*Optional 50 kHz transducers available for extreme deepwater use and to obtain 1000 watts.

*Optional Chirp transducer purchase required for 28kHz to 250kHz and maximum 3500 ft depth performance

Features:

- Exclusive Multi-Range Chirp: View low, mid and high Chirp ranges, either individually or all at once
- 360 Imaging: We have you surrounded. 360 Imaging allows you to isolate your sweep, see 5 preset views or see all around you
- Side Imaging Sonar: Gain a 180 side to side perspective on the world below the surface
- Down Imaging Sonar: Get a fish-eye's view of what's happening below your boat. Incredible images are created with High-frequency sound waves
- SwitchFire Sonar: Take command of how your sonar returns appear with Clear and Max Modes
- Dualbeam Plus Sonar: Two beams combine for great detail and a wide coverage area. Use the narrow beam for high-accuracy returns and bottom. Use the wide beam when you want a larger search area
- Internal GPS: GPS antenna built into the head unit
- Up-gradable Software: Access software updates to enhance the performance of your Humminbird unit through the My Humminbird section of the site
- Dual SD Card Slots: Use one slot for advanced cartography and the other to save screenshots, sonar recordings and waypoints
- High Definition Display: Provides bright, crystal-clear images for easy viewing in harsh sunlight
- Contour XD: Built-in base map cartography that covers 3,000 US lakes with depth contours and many other locations without contours
- Ethernet: Rig up the ultimate fishing system. Use the 5-Port Ethernet switch to link together multiple Humminbird head units or share transducers
- HD Radar: In darkness and fog, busy channels and treacherous weather, situational awareness is the name of the game
- AIS: Battle fish - not other boats. Humminbird's state of the art AIS technology takes the risk and guesswork out of navigating high-traffic channels or low-visibility seas
- Autopilot: Never deviate from your route with the precise control and proven performance of your Humminbird Autopilot System
- NMEA 2000 ready: Boat performance, weather or water conditions, make sense of it all with networking solutions
- i-Pilot Link: An integrated GPS Trolling System available on select Minn Kota Terrova and PowerDrive V2 motors which enable your motor and Humminbird to communicate
- AutoChart Live: Make a map where there is no map. The patent pending AutoChart Live allows you to create digital, detailed maps live and on the water. You can also use it to enhance your existing charts
- NMEA 2000: Get an at-a-glance view of fuel consumption, engine performance and other vessel data
- Wireless: Take wireless control of your Humminbird with the new Bluetooth Remote and Dongle

Specifications:

- Display Size - Diagonal: 12.1"
- Display Pixel Matrix: 1280H x 800V
- Display Type: Color TFT
- Display Colors Grayscale: 65,000 Colors
- Sonar Standard: Broadband Chirp/HD Side Imaging/HD Down Imaging/DualBeam PLUS
- Standard Sonar Coverage: 20 , 60 , (2) 86 & (2) 55 @ -10db (Total of 180 )
- Standard Sonar Frequency: 200/83/455/800/50* kHz
- Sonar Optional: 28kHz to 250kHz
- Target Separation: 2.5"
- Power Output RMS: 1000 Watts*
- Power Output Peak to Peak: 8000 Watts*
- Depth Capability: 150 ft (SI/DI), 1500 ft, 3500 ft*
- Temperature: Built-In Transducer
- Speed: GPS Speed Included
- Backlight: LED
- Unit Size - Gimbal Mount: 14.86"W x 8.83"H x 4.25"D
- Mount A Type: Gimbal Mount
- Unit Size - Indash Mount: 14.86"W x 8.52"H x 1.36"D
- Mounting Options: Optional In-Dash Mounting Kit
- Transducer Standard: XHS 9 HDSI 180 T
- Transducer Mounting: Transom
- Power Input: 10-20 VDC
- Power Draw: 1.75 Amps
- GPS Receiver: Included
- GPS Tracking: Included
- GPS Chartplotting: Included
- Waypoints, Routes, Tracks/Points: 2,500, 47, 50/20,000
- Humminbird Mapping: Optional
- Navionics Gold/HotMaps: Optional
- Navionics Platinum+: Optional
- Platinum Capable: Optional
- C-Map 4D: Not Supported
- 360 Imaging: Optional
- i-Pilot Link: Optional
- HD Radar: Optional
- NMEA 2000: Optional
- 5 Port Expansion Module: Optional
- WeatherSense: Not Supported
- Precision GPS: Included
- Heading Sensor GPS: Optional
- PC Connect: Optional
- External GPS Receiver: Optional
- AS Interlink: Not Supported
- AIS Compatability: Optional
- SwitchFire Sonar: Included
- Screen Snap Shot: Included
- Sonar Recording: Included
- Humminbird PC: Included
- Upgradable Internal Software: Included
- Split Screen Zoom: Included
- Split Screen Bottom Lock: Included
- 3D Chart View: Included
- Large Digits View: Included
- Wide/Narrow Cone Split Screen: Included
- Custom View Selections: Included
- Custom Digital Readout: Included
- View Preset Keys: Included
- Temperature Graph: Included
- Temperature Alarm: Included
- Freeze Frame: Included
- Instant Image Update: Included
- Mark Structure on Sonar: Included
- Selective Fish ID+: Included
- Real Time Sonar: Included
- Triplog: Included
- X-Press Menu System: Included
- Card Reader Available: Yes

So I agree too,  the Helix 12 is a much better purchase than the Onix 10....case closed.

Offline N9Phil

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 02:30:43 PM »
I don't say they are a much better purchase than a Onix 10.  What I do say is it all depends on what you feel is what you need and what you can fit into you budget.  As good as the Helix 12 is, I still wouldn't begin to think of trading my Onix10 for one.

Offline Bob B

• Unit(s): 1197c si, 1198c si
  • Software: 6.310, 6.490
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 03:18:17 PM »

So what does the Onix 10  have the Helix 12  doesn't other than the  12 inch screen and $1000 bucks less in price?

It has the all in one transducer that includes a dedicated DI transducer which has pretty much the best DI imaging on the market.... and excellent SI at the same time.
To Get great DI and SI with the Helix series you would have to have 2 units.

It also has map sharing between units....The Helix series doesn't.  If you travel and use map chips from different manufactures, this could save you a LOT of money on mapping chips.

There are a host of software options on the Onix that the other models don't have that allow configuring the unit and view much more adaptable to the way you fish....it can do a 4 way split of whatever imaging/mapping combination you want.

With the 360, you can run the SI and DI at 800 Khz at the same time as the 360 ..... with the other models, the SI and DI are automatically disconnected when the 360 is connected.

There Onix has more mapping options than the Helix or core series....and much more. There is no doubt that the Onix is still the flagship model for Humminbird.
**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Offline fishreed

• fishreed
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 10:34:31 PM »
It has the all in one transducer that includes a dedicated DI transducer which has pretty much the best DI imaging on the market.... and excellent SI at the same time.
To Get great DI and SI with the Helix series you would have to have 2 units.

It also has map sharing between units....The Helix series doesn't.  If you travel and use map chips from different manufactures, this could save you a LOT of money on mapping chips.

There are a host of software options on the Onix that the other models don't have that allow configuring the unit and view much more adaptable to the way you fish....it can do a 4 way split of whatever imaging/mapping combination you want.

With the 360, you can run the SI and DI at 800 Khz at the same time as the 360 ..... with the other models, the SI and DI are automatically disconnected when the 360 is connected.

There Onix has more mapping options than the Helix or core series....and much more. There is no doubt that the Onix is still the flagship model for Humminbird.

coulda, woulda, shoulda ...and well it should be the Flagship for the HUGE  increase in price, with  the minimum amount  of feature  differences  for 95% of people interested in spending that amount of money,  doesn't amount to a hill of beans. The basic fact is ...the Onix only has a 10 inch screen as compared to Helix 12 inch screen  and that difference alone is HUGE!  I would bet there are plans in the works as we speak to put the Onix features into a Onix 12 inch screen and drop the price accordingly...the Helix 12 will do NOTHING but steal sales away from the Onix "flagship" line to a point where the Onix line can Not financially justify its continued  existence and price point existence.  That is the way it is in electronics....until then only a small percentage  of people will blindly select the Onix 10 over the Helix 12.     

Offline Bob B

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2016, 11:07:42 PM »
Your supreme insight is appreciated. ::)

Offline newkid4si

• Unit(s): 998c si
  • Software: v 5.70
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 10:13:49 AM »
Buckle your seat belt folks, Garmin is coming out with 17, 22 + 24" displays. HB shouldn't be far behind. Soon it will be like the classic line in Jaws, "I think we need a bigger boat".

http://fishingtackleretailer.com/garmin-unveils-new-high-res-gpsmap-units-with-17-22-and-24-inch-displays/

Mike

Offline N9Phil

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2016, 01:06:46 PM »
OK but these Garmin units are only in HD  I am going to wait until Humminbird comes out with a large screen in 3D.

Phil

Offline Bob B

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2016, 05:59:00 PM »
They are going to have to start re-designing the console on these boats ..... I guess JOI is going to have to buy one of the boat MFG like they did with Minn Kota..... and design a heads up display and make some room for those big units.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo