Author Topic: Upgrading from single Helix 7 to multiples  (Read 1134 times)

Offline BrockSolid

• Unit(s): Helix 7
Upgrading from single Helix 7 to multiples
« on: January 05, 2024, 01:43:43 PM »
I plan to run two units which I would like to network. Probably a Helix 10 Mega SI GPS G4N on the bow with an 8" or 9" of the same at the console.
My questions....
1. I currently have a HD transducer (XHS 9 HDSI 180 T). Will the mega side imaging transducers provide a better/stronger image, or should I stay with this transducer?
2. If going with the Mega transducer am I good to run both units off of the same transducer, or should I install one for each unit? Trying to save space on the transom where they will be mounted.
3. Thoughts on keeping the 7 G2 (Not networkable) on the console and using my current transducer. Install G4N on the bow and run off a separate mega imaging transducer. Obviously, this would save me some money but I would not have the capability of sharing waypoints, etc..

Any suggestions here are appreciated. I have a 22' SeaArk and would like to up my game where electronics are concerned. 
Thanks

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
Re: Upgrading from single Helix 7 to multiples
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2024, 09:13:49 PM »
I plan to run two units which I would like to network. Probably a Helix 10 Mega SI GPS G4N on the bow with an 8" or 9" of the same at the console.
My questions....
1. I currently have a HD transducer (XHS 9 HDSI 180 T). Will the mega side imaging transducers provide a better/stronger image, or should I stay with this transducer?
2. If going with the Mega transducer am I good to run both units off of the same transducer, or should I install one for each unit? Trying to save space on the transom where they will be mounted.
3. Thoughts on keeping the 7 G2 (Not networkable) on the console and using my current transducer. Install G4N on the bow and run off a separate mega imaging transducer. Obviously, this would save me some money but I would not have the capability of sharing waypoints, etc..

Any suggestions here are appreciated. I have a 22' SeaArk and would like to up my game where electronics are concerned. 
Thanks

1. The MEGA SI xducer has CHIRP HW LowQ 2d and 1200kHz MEGA imaging.  It will give noticeably better performance that your current XHS 9 HDSI 180 T  ...

2. An xducer at the bow and an xducer at the transom are usually far enough apart not to create crosstalk interference - unless in super deep water where the 2d beam cones could overlap  ... Installing 2 xducers at the transom would most likely create crosstalk interference  ...

3. There is great benefit in networking a console unit and a bow unit for sharing  ...

Rickie
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 09:15:30 PM by rnvinc »

Offline BrockSolid

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2024, 10:08:46 AM »
Appreciate the feedback. I really don’t want to run a transducer off the trolling motor, or have one off the bow necessarily. I tend to often troll or pole up into very shallow area (7-8”) and inevitably forget to pull the trolling motor. Just concerned about ruining or damaging a transducer up front.
Suggestions appreciated.
Thanks

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2024, 04:42:04 PM »
Appreciate the feedback. I really don’t want to run a transducer off the trolling motor, or have one off the bow necessarily. I tend to often troll or pole up into very shallow area (7-8”) and inevitably forget to pull the trolling motor. Just concerned about ruining or damaging a transducer up front.
Suggestions appreciated.
Thanks

More than one xducer at the transom would again most likely create crosstalk interference  ...

There’s no reason why you couldn’t temporarily attach the second xdcuer to the transom and test for crosstalk tho  ...

If there is crosstalk interference then the fix is networking the two units with an Ethernet cable and adapter cables for each head unit  ...

https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.com/us/shop/accessories/cables

https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.com/us/shop/accessories/cables/ec-qde-ethernet-adapter-cable

Rickie

Offline BrockSolid

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2024, 02:43:48 PM »
Can I run the two networked units off the same transducer, or would I be better off running them off separate transducers? Thanks

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2024, 07:28:00 PM »
Can I run the two networked units off the same transducer, or would I be better off running them off separate transducers? Thanks

One xducer connected to either head unit - with the head units Ethernet networked is the most common scenario of preventing crosstalk interference from 2 xducers pings at the same time  ...

Rickie

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo