Author Topic: XP-9-20-T Transducer  (Read 11980 times)

Offline boilerfishin

• Unit(s): 798ci HD SI, 570
  • Software: 5.410
XP-9-20-T Transducer
« on: March 21, 2011, 10:16:11 PM »
Does this transducer work with the 798ci HD SI unit?  The Humminbird website doesn't list this transducer for the unit.  I have this mounted thru the hull and want to use the transducer for high speed using the splitter cable.  Any information will help.  Thanks in advance

Offline bobby

• Unit(s): 1198 c Si & 997 c Si & X-17 LM
  • Software: 5.2
  • Accessories: weather sense, XM, live well water temp
Re: XP-9-20-T Transducer
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 10:42:30 PM »
I've been asking the same question, on another thread, with regard to the 1198 and this transducewr. I havn't gotten an answer yet. nI have the SI thru hull transducer but the trailer bunk will potentially interfere so I thought I'd look for a smaller thru hull.  It isn't shown on the website as a match and customer service confirmed that by looking at the same place on the website but really couldn't tell we why or if it would work, just that if it isn't listed it won't work...

Offline Trytoofish

• Unit(s): Onix 8, 998HD, 798HD, Ice 55
  • Software: 2.0, 7.51,
  • Accessories: Cannonlink,Eithernet,Mag 20, Ipilot Link
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 07:49:05 AM »
I read on another that optional transducers may not be listed,because were not part of the factory issue. or don't offer all the features listed for the unit. I don't know. but I think all optional transducers should be listed on the Humminbird website. Its the only source for that kind of info. They just need to add more detail to the description,if they have limitations for certain units. IMO.
Try Too Fish  Forced To Work

Offline flipinfool

• Unit(s): (2) Solix 12 SI Units
  • Software: 3.420
  • Accessories: Network Hub
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 07:11:29 PM »
This is very frustrating for me as well. No one that does their homework wants to buy something that doesn't specify that it will work with the 1000 dollar unit they just bought. Come on HB, get with the program

Offline boilerfishin

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 05:39:52 AM »
I called Humminbird CS and they told me the transducer does work with the unit, but the unit only uses the depth sounding part of the transducer and not the temp probe.  It's a little confusing to me because on the unit's diagnostic report, it will state there isn't a individual temperature attachment to the unit until I plug in the cable for the XP-9-20-T.  The person at Humminbird CS stated the units temp readings come from the SI transducer.  If you are on plane, and the SI transducer is out of the water, it must be reading ambient air temps.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 03:47:10 PM »
I've been asking the same question, on another thread, with regard to the 1198 and this transducewr. I havn't gotten an answer yet. nI have the SI thru hull transducer but the trailer bunk will potentially interfere so I thought I'd look for a smaller thru hull.  It isn't shown on the website as a match and customer service confirmed that by looking at the same place on the website but really couldn't tell we why or if it would work, just that if it isn't listed it won't work...

Bobby,
The XP-9-20-T transducer will work with the 1198c Si unit.  It will not allow Si or Di sonar when connected directly to the 1198 unit but it can be used in combination with the AS-Si-DB-Y cable or the TS2-W Transducer Switch for high-speed depth readings.

It is not shown on the web site since it will not provide the full functionality as the standard transducer would.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 03:55:07 PM »
I read on another that optional transducers may not be listed,because were not part of the factory issue. or don't offer all the features listed for the unit. I don't know. but I think all optional transducers should be listed on the Humminbird website. Its the only source for that kind of info. They just need to add more detail to the description,if they have limitations for certain units. IMO.

I wish we could list all of the possible optional transducers for each unit Trytoofish but that list would be quite long and mostly confusing to everyone as it would be full of notes such as “only the 2D 200kHz portion of this transducer will work” or “must be used with the AD-629 adapter” to allow connection” and many other statements like that.  Believe me there would be a lot more confusion as I have made such a file and its hard for some of our Customer Resource folks to understand.

However I did ask about adding the more popular transducers like the XP-9-20 and XP-9-20-T added and have a short comment such as “Must be used as a 2D (conventional) sonar transducer only along with the AS-Si-DB-Y cable or the TS2-W Transducer Switch” but I don’t know if this will be done or if we have that much control over the web site to be able to do this.  At the least I asked for an additional page for “Optional Transducers and Installations” be added.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 04:22:00 PM »
I called Humminbird CS and they told me the transducer does work with the unit, but the unit only uses the depth sounding part of the transducer and not the temp probe.  It's a little confusing to me because on the unit's diagnostic report, it will state there isn't a individual temperature attachment to the unit until I plug in the cable for the XP-9-20-T.  The person at Humminbird CS stated the units temp readings come from the SI transducer.  If you are on plane, and the SI transducer is out of the water, it must be reading ambient air temps.

boilerfishin,
The XP-9-20-T transducer can work with the 798ci HD Si unit but it can only provide the 2D sonar (200/83kHz) and water temperature.

Depending on how this transducer is connected to your unit will dictate whether the temperature being displayed is from the XP-9-20-T transducer or the Si transducer.  If you are using the AS-Si-DB-Y cable than the temperature will always come from the Si transducer whether it is in the water or in the air.  If you are using the TS2-W Transducer Switch than the water temperature will come from whichever transducer you have the switch toggled to.

Since most folks use the AS-Si-DB-Y cable to connect an inside-the-hull DualBeam transducer to get high-speed depth readings they probably answered your questions from this perspective.

Offline boilerfishin

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 05:54:12 AM »
Greg,
Thanks for the information.  My last question is why does the unit recognize the temp probe from the XP-9-20-T as an accessory, but it never uses the temp probe?

Again, thanks for the help

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 11:39:11 AM »
It shouldn’t boilerfishin.  You are using the AS-Si-DB-Y cable right?
The Accessory Test View should only be showing that the “Temperature” is “Connected” and that the “Aux. Temperature” should show as “Unconnected”.  Is this what you are seeing?  If it isn’t could you confirm how your transducers are connected to your unit and post an image of what the Accessory Test View is showing?

Offline boilerfishin

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 05:25:26 PM »
It does show "Connected" for the Temperature.  This unit doesn't have an "Aux. Temp" line.  I'm using the Y cable.  It appears everything is correct.  Going to Ken. Lake on Monday.

Again, thanks for your help.

Offline skeeter92

• Unit(s): 798ci si
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 10:32:43 AM »
I can tell you I just posted a question along these lines. I just installed the thru hull transducer you identified because on this forum I was told to use it with the splitter cable. I got to the lake and the sonar wouldn't work, showed .6ft all the time. I called tech support and they told me to isolate which transducer was giving me problems so I removed the splitter cable and direct wired the transom transducer straight to the head and it worked. Now I don't know if the splitter cable is bad, or there not compatible, or the thru hull transducer is bad... can't afford to change everything just to test or potentially have the same problem because they are not compatible. good luck

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 11:55:24 AM »
I replied to your other post skeeter92.  Try what I posted and let us know the results.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo