Author Topic: Unit not recognized in HB PC using the Bootstrap Mode  (Read 8737 times)

Offline harbin_22

• Unit(s): 1197, 997
  • Accessories: Interlink
Unit not recognized in HB PC using the Bootstrap Mode
« on: April 04, 2013, 09:21:12 PM »
I have an 1197 locked up on the loading screen, I got the pc cable and it will not recognize the unit when pkugged into the pc. Does this mean I am screwed or am I missing something.

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
  • Unit(s): 1197c SI, 997c SI & 785c2
  • Software: 4.950 & 4.510
  • Accessories: Interlink & GRHA
Re: Unit not recognized in HB PC using the Bootstrap Mode
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 10:34:07 PM »
Please tell us a little more about whats going on?  Step by step....What happens?  Did you get it to come up in bootstrap mode?

Which cable are you using?

Robert
Humminbird Guru and Forum Administrator

Offline harbin_22

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 10:50:27 PM »
Ok, I was on 6.60 and had some bugs, switched to 6.610 and interlink wouldn't stay connected to my 997.  I tried to downgrade to 6.310, after the flashing screens quit it went to the loading screen and just keeps flashing "loading".   It will let me open up on bootstrap mode, I am using the pcs3 cable from humminbird.  Tried all different versions of Humminbird PC.  I tried different sequences between turning on the unit and opening the software, but no matter what I do, it won't recognize tye 1197.  I hooked up to my 997 through the pc and it connected right away and updated it with no problems. I hate to have to send it in and pay to have it fixed. Thanks in advance for the help

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 11:02:39 PM »
What procedure did you use to do the updates? Did you restore the defaults before updating?

Is the sd card still in the unit?  Make sure you have removed it and try powering on.

Try reinstalling 6.600.  Make sure you have no other sd cards in the unit and no other updates on the sd card you are using.

I recommend using the procedures in the video I did to update the unit, .... step by step!

Robert
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 11:09:28 PM by RGecy »

Offline harbin_22

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 11:30:05 PM »
I did restore defaults before I tried to downgrade to 6.310, no SD cards in.  I loaded every software version I had, 1 at a time on an SD card but didn't help. 

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 11:58:07 PM »
Put 6.600 on the sd card and see if unit will try to update!  See if that does anything.  Or did you try that already, as stated above?

And you did get it to go into boostrap mode correct? 

Robert
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 12:00:02 AM by RGecy »

Offline harbin_22

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 06:04:54 AM »
Yes, I have tried loading update on the card and put back in with no change.  Yes I can start it in bootstrap, I tried hitting "program" with the SD in, with different versions, with no change

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 08:15:38 AM »
I think that if your setup recognizes the 997 unit but not the 1197 unit that you will end up having to send the 1197 unit back to the factory to have some components replaced so that it will program.  Call the Humminbird Customer Resource folks to set this up 1-800-633-1468

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline navionic

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 03:46:44 PM »
Ok, I was on 6.60 and had some bugs, switched to 6.610 and interlink wouldn't stay connected to my 997.  I tried to downgrade to 6.310, after the flashing screens quit it went to the loading screen and just keeps flashing "loading".   It will let me open up on bootstrap mode, I am using the pcs3 cable from humminbird.  Tried all different versions of Humminbird PC.  I tried different sequences between turning on the unit and opening the software, but no matter what I do, it won't recognize tye 1197.  I hooked up to my 997 through the pc and it connected right away and updated it with no problems. I hate to have to send it in and pay to have it fixed. Thanks in advance for the help
Enter the boot mode (Power+View)
The device on the program HuminbirdPC will be determined as Invalid
Run firmware version 6.600 or 6.610.

Offline harbin_22

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 06:34:35 PM »
It won't let me run any software, just says no device selected or something like that.  I sent it out today, tired of messing with it.  I guarantee I will never update my software again.  This was way too much hassle

Offline navionic

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 12:56:47 PM »
It won't let me run any software, just says no device selected or something like that.  I sent it out today, tired of messing with it.  I guarantee I will never update my software again.  This was way too much hassle

Possible downgrade the firmware from version 6.610 is impossible.
There is a bit of information
http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?topic=5345.0

Offline strawdg

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 01:26:41 PM »
Possible downgrade the firmware from version 6.610 is impossible.
There is a bit of information
http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?topic=5345.0

Need to read the whole thread...... There was a misunderstanding there all along.... It related to being locked into Humviewer...

Straw

Offline navionic

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2013, 02:41:51 PM »
Need to read the whole thread...... There was a misunderstanding there all along.... It related to being locked into Humviewer...

Straw
All right. What does this?
v6.610 includes changes to POS Script Updates and includes general performance and stability updates plus everything included in v6.600 • Added enhancements for 2D/DI/SI sonar scroll rate on the 798ci HD SI. • Fixed an issue where SI data was scrolling at twice the intended rate. • Fixed an issue where 2D/DI data was not in sync on the 798ci HD SI. • Fixed an issue where 2D/DI data was not in sync if 83/200 kHz mode was enabled. • Fixed an issue where DI Zoom was not in sync. • Fixed SI Sensitivity issues on the 898c SI, 998c SI, 1197c SI, 1198c SI. • Fixed an issue where Demonstration Mode OFF would not force normal mode and a connected transducer state. • Fixed an issue where rapidly forcing the unit into Simulator Mode could cause the unit to restart. • Fixed an issue where Ethernet sonar subscriptions would eventually drop off if the Control Head was booted with Sonar turned Off • Fixed an issue where Ethernet sonar subscriptions would eventually drop off if Sonar was turned Off and then back On within 60 seconds without a reboot. • Fixed an Ethernet issue where the Heading Line ON/OFF setting would not be saved between restarts while subscribed to a remote AS GPS + HS. • Removed Universal Sonar II transducer selection option, now users should select dual beam as their selection. • LakeMaster map coding was updated to work with i-PilotLINK • Tweaks were made to radar functionality to fix a memory leak • Fixed a bug that caused some models to sometimes skip a view when cycling through views. • Locked NMEA output at 4800 baud when enabled • Added 360 Imaging operation menus and capabilities • Added iPilotLINK operation menus and capabilities
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 02:43:11 PM by navionic »

Offline strawdg

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2013, 03:54:04 PM »
Not sure.... it is somewhat cryptic.....

BUT please don't skip over THIS:

[/quote]
Kim,
All they were saying here is (assuming that Martin does not ever update his HummViewer software): for your units to make compatible files to work with HummiViewer you will not be able to update your Humminbird units again.  The reason for this is that the next version of software for your Humminbird units and every version after it would also have these same changes to the sonar recording files, which would not work with HummViewer.  With all of the postings here I’m betting that they should have done a better job of stating this.

Plus remember Greg often sends update back outs from 6.57+ 6.60+ 6.61, to people who request them....

Straw
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 04:05:14 PM by strawdg »

Offline navionic

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2013, 04:04:16 PM »
Not sure.... it is somewhat cryptic.....
BUT please don't skip over THIS:
Plus remember Greg often sends update back outs from 6.57+ to people who request them....
Straw
I do not understand how to roll back the firmware to an older version was able to turn the device into a brick. To such an extent that even the impossible to restore it through the boot mode.

Offline strawdg

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2013, 04:10:45 PM »
I do not understand how to roll back the firmware to an older version was able to turn the device into a brick. To such an extent that even the impossible to restore it through the boot mode.

There are several ways, a bad download, or loosing power during the update are the most notable....

That is why many people recommend NOT to update unless there are new features added that you NEED. Very few people are recommending the last three updates (6.57, 6.60, 6.61) unless you need 360 or Ipilot link.....

Just too many problems being reported....

Also if you haven't heard BOOTSTRAP is no longer available with the newer units..... (Bummer)...

Straw
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 04:13:53 PM by strawdg »

Offline navionic

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2013, 04:30:56 PM »
That is why many people recommend NOT to update unless there are new features added that you NEED. Very few people are recommending the last three updates (6.57, 6.60, 6.61) unless you need 360 or Ipilot link.....
Straw
I absolutely agree. But a new high-precision GPS receiver does not work with the old firmware.
Its accuracy is fantastic. About 0.5 meters!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 04:32:14 PM by navionic »

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2013, 10:50:04 AM »
“includes changes to POS Script Updates”
POS = Point Of Sale.  This just means that there was a change to the text that is shown while the unit is in the Point Of Sale Demonstration mode.

The new GRP and GPS-HS should be no more accurate than the GR50 GPS Receivers we used before these.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline navionic

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2013, 02:03:43 PM »
“ The new GRP and GPS-HS should be no more accurate than the GR50 GPS Receivers we used before these.
Greg thanks for the clarification with POS.
 I did not get this accuracy with GR16 or GR50. Also, not for nothing that he is called Precision GPS.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal