Author Topic: 898c SI units - clarification and opinions on older software versions  (Read 7299 times)

Offline MarioFisherman

• FatherWalleye
  • Unit(s): 898 SI Combo
  • Software: 5.7 and 6.610
  • Accessories: I pilot link,
This is a continuation of our discussion re: software versions for 898c SI combo. ALLELUJA!!!!

To make our discussion more interested I would like to invite anyone to share your opinion and advice re: v.4.970 and v.5.700

Greg, you mentioned:

I need your clarification to your statement:

though if you are running one of the new GPS Receivers (GRP or GPS-HS), the 360 Imaging or the iPilot Link you may not be able to run an older version of software.

When I got 898c SI combo in 2010 for Christmas, the factory version was showing on the unit v.4.970. At that time when I registered on Humminbird website, it was showing ready for download the version v.5.700. I downloaded both of these versions to SD cards.

My questions are:

1. do I need to keep any other older versions besides a last "stable" version v.6.490? Am I going to use it at all?

2. I've seen some of our members have listed v. 5.700 under the: accessories (in their profiles)
    If we can use it for 898c units, does anyone is still using this software, what are the results?

3. Some of us have I pilot link, so obviously we have to use it v.6.610 to take advantage of link connection.
    If something doesn't work with v.6.610 while you are fishing, is the v.6.490 the only option (the best option) for us to switch to (after restoring the defaults on your HB unit prior to downloading any software)?

4. is there any other reliable version for 898c units we can use/ or recommended to use it?

Sometimes it is good to have a plain answers before we make any "bu-bu" and be sorry maybe to late.  :o
Thank so much for any advice from any person. God bless you

with prayers
Fr. Mariusz "Father Walleye"  :)

Remember a famous fishing tip: "Praying and Jigging"

Offline MarioFisherman

• FatherWalleye
Re: 898c SI units - clarification and opinions on older software versions
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 08:44:18 PM »
Greg and Rickie, have touched some of the questions re: "version" topic on another posting.

They mentioned that newer versions have the other previous versions included (fixed bugs and other problems, etc.).

The last "stable version for 898c SI is v.6.490. I would imagine that v.4.970 and v.5.700 are included in v.6.490.
Is that right?

So, if some of us they still have listed v.5.700 in their accessories (in their profile), do anybody is using them; is there any benefit of having that version as an extra ( "back up"?) version or stick to only two: newest v.6,610 and the stable one v.6.490?

Thanks for your help and God bless you

with prayers

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 10:34:24 AM »
The only version releases I actually keep "on SD cards" (and with my unit) are the current version I am experimenting with and the last know "stable" version for my unit...

All other versions that HB has released for my unit (since I purchased it) are simply residing in a file on my computer labeled HB software version releases...

Some of those older versions I used as they were released..some I did not...

I have yet to actually return to and use any of those older versions ...but they take so little space on my computer's hard drive I just leave them there...

The 1 exception to this is my "stable" 6.310...I have reloaded it several times while experimenting with the 6.600 and 6.610 for my 1197....

Rickie
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 10:46:05 AM by rnvinc »

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 10:48:57 AM »
Father Walleye,
My statement just meant that not all older versions of software support all accessories.  The new GRP GPS Receiver requires software version 6.300 of higher.  The iPilot Link and 360 Imaging require version 6.570 or higher.

1. I don’t think that you would need to keep any other software versions unless you just want to.  I’m a pack rat and have most software versions but that has more to do with the Customers I try and help than what I would personally keep.

3. I think that 6.490 would be the best option right now.  Remember that some of your accessories may not work if you back up to this software version.

Yes, software version 6.490 has all of the changes made in all eight software versions (that I am aware of) made between the 4.970 software and the 6.490 software versions.

Just remember to not back up to a software version older than what the unit was produced with or you may have to send it in to Humminbird to have a memory chip replaced…
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline raypla

• Unit(s): 898 HD SI
  • Accessories: I-Link
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 08:57:52 PM »
Greg, you recommend the 6.49 software.   Since the 6.61 was a flop, when can we expect the next version that will allow my new equipment to function as advertised.  Im aware that I can download the 6,61 and everything should function, but I haven't seen anything but negative comments about it and would rather just wait .
16.5' Tracker Deep-V
50 hp Mercury
55lb Terrova I-Link
898 HDSI

Offline MarioFisherman

• FatherWalleye
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 03:18:27 AM »
Thank you Greg and Ray for your replies.

Greg,

I the factory software version for my 2010 unit is v.4.970 and when I updated software in 2010 at that time it was v.5700.
Both of them I downloaded at that time in 2010. Which one will be considered the one that should not go below  as a "factory" version for  my unit?
v.4.970 or v.5700?

Just remember to not back up to a software version older than what the unit was produced with or you may have to send it in to Humminbird to have a memory chip replaced

I don't want to make a bu-bu.  :o  And be sorry afterwards.  Thank you for your advice.

Ray,
As you mentioned re; some of the problems that v.6.610 makes. Which one you have been using lately? do you like it? Did you try using v.6490 a "stable" version on your 898c SI unit?  Thanks for your reply.

God bless you and have a good night

with prayers

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 11:09:47 AM »
Greg, you recommend the 6.49 software.   Since the 6.61 was a flop, when can we expect the next version that will allow my new equipment to function as advertised.  Im aware that I can download the 6,61 and everything should function, but I haven't seen anything but negative comments about it and would rather just wait .

raypla,
That recommendation is based on the numerous complaints from the 6.570 and higher software.  There are those that have not had any complaints at all.  Since most only post when they have problems or complaints; I have no way of knowing how many have not had any issues at all or for that matter: how many have not updated their units at all.  If you do not need the newer software for a certain accessory or change that we know that it has; I would wait as well.

I will know when the next software version is released when I see the paperwork that releases it.  I do not get an advanced notice of this.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 11:11:33 AM »
Thank you Greg and Ray for your replies.

Greg,

I the factory software version for my 2010 unit is v.4.970 and when I updated software in 2010 at that time it was v.5700.
Both of them I downloaded at that time in 2010. Which one will be considered the one that should not go below  as a "factory" version for  my unit?
v.4.970 or v.5700?

I don't want to make a bu-bu.  :o  And be sorry afterwards.  Thank you for your advice.

Ray,
As you mentioned re; some of the problems that v.6.610 makes. Which one you have been using lately? do you like it? Did you try using v.6490 a "stable" version on your 898c SI unit?  Thanks for your reply.

God bless you and have a good night

with prayers

Father Walleye,
If your unit came from the factory with 4.970 software than this is the version you do not want to back up beyond.

Offline MarioFisherman

• FatherWalleye
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 03:16:16 AM »
Greg,

THANK YOU SO MUCH for finding time to assist us, until we "click it". Thank you for your patience and guidance.
On Tuesday I'll pick my new boat in Regina, SK (Regina Marine) and after taking picture of a transom and post it on Forum asking for  an advice where to put GPS puck. Thanks again and God bless you

with prayers
Fr. Mariusz "Father Walleye" :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo