Author Topic: GPS out  (Read 5698 times)

Offline mozzy10

• Unit(s): 797 c2 si
GPS out
« on: October 12, 2011, 11:03:19 AM »
Gps recently went out on my unit 797c2. I've checked all connectors and even slightly bent a few of them to ensure a good connection. Recently bought a new GPS receiver GR16 (as was suggested from Humminbird). But that did not fix my problem. What options do I have left and how much will it cost me? I'm just hoping Humminbird will refund my money on GPS receiver.

Offline ITGEEK

• Unit(s): 1198c -Team Watters SS - Lexerd SP
  • Software: 7.670
  • Accessories: XM Weather - Weathersense
Re: GPS out
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 12:47:45 PM »
Have you tried booting up and pressing the menu key,
and booting up in system status mode?

Then, press the view key and toggle between system checks.
See if your unit recognizes your gps.

Offline mozzy10

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 09:52:04 AM »
Yes I booted up in system status mode and my unit does not recognize GPS. I bought a new GR16 receiver and that wasn't the problem. So I sent my unit in for repair and got it back Sat. Oct. 22. My unit connected to the GPS at my house. Thought everything was good so I took it to the lake and marked my first top with it. I continued to fish without even thinking about GPS anymore until later that day. Then I tried to mark another top and was unable to. Can't remember exactly what my unit was showing but it was something in order of my GPS not having a fix on position. So I kept trying to mark my top and was unable to do so. Now my unit doesn't recognize the GPS again. All it does is beep when I hit the mark button. Tried rebooting in system status mode but it will not connect to GPS. I've checked all pins, thats not it. Please help if you have any suggestions. Hate to send it in again as the fish are just now starting to turn on and I would hate having to fish without it. If anyone has any suggestions please SUGGEST!!

Offline ITGEEK

• Unit(s): 1198c -Team Watters SS - Lexerd SP
  • Software: 7.670
  • Accessories: XM Weather - Weathersense
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 10:07:01 AM »
These are about all I can come up with:

Make sure your GPS override menu setting is set to AUTO.
Make sure there physically is nothing blocking your gps puck view of the sky.
Make sure interference from other electrical devices is not causing a problem.
Cut off everything in your boat except your Humminbird and see if you get
a GPS fix then.

And, of course there is always the battery question.
Charge and load test your battery.
Your battery may be borderline, and may not have
enough juice to run your unit for more than a few hours.

I'm out of ideas.
Hopefully, some other users will have some other ideas for you.

I hope you get your problem fixed.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 10:15:36 AM by ITGEEK »

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 12:31:10 PM »
Mozzy,
Is the GR16 GPS Receiver connected directly to the 797c2 unit or is there an extension cable or the Y-cable installed?  If it is not already connected so; directly connect the GR16 GPS Receiver to the 797c2 unit (no extension of Y-cables) and try it again.

Try testing someone else’s GPS capable Humminbird unit on your 797’s unit mount and see if you get the same results or not.  This does not have to be another 797c2 unit as many of the 700 series units use the same mount, power cable, transducer and GPS Receiver.

Other then that you can try calling Humminbird again and see if they can ship you a unit and you ship yours in when you receive the unit that they sent.  That will help you be without a Humminbird sonar unit.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 12:58:36 PM by sonar2000 »
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline mozzy10

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 01:28:15 PM »
Greg thanks for replying and yes I tried hooking it up both ways. It still will not connect to GPS. That is an excellent idea about swapping units out until mine is fixed. Don't guess it can hurt me to ask Humminbird. Thanks.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 01:46:36 PM »
mozzy,
Did you try someone else’s unit on your boat and if so; which model unit was it and what was the result?

Offline mozzy10

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 03:06:52 PM »
No I haven't, the only person I know who has one has an internal antenna. As ITGEEK suggested earlier in this topic I'm hoping it may be a weak battery or something like that. My batteries are charging right now and when I get home from work I will see if maybe thats the problem. I did just get off the phone with Humminbird and they told me that the only thing they could tell that the tech who worked on did, was replace the connectors to the back of unit. I have checked all my connectors and they seem to be good. Humminbird wants me to send it back to them. Guess I'll just have to do without it for a couple of more weeks.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 04:08:22 PM »
I was hoping that they could do a unit exchange with you or something mossy.  At least they are not as busy as they are during the Summer so they should be able to get your unit turned around and back on its way to you quickly.

Do one more thing before shipping it in: look for that shorter cable that comes out of the GPS connector.  It should be about a foot long and end in a black plastic cap.  Remove that cap and spread the three wires ends you find under it and try it one more time with your 797c2 unit.  Sometimes these wires become shorted out and will result in no GPS.  Doesn’t happen often but is worth checking.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal