Author Topic: First trip out with my new 798si need help with some haze on the right side  (Read 17915 times)

Offline fishwhenican

• Unit(s): 798si
I took my first trip out with my new 798 and I loved it!!

I do have one question, about 1/2 way through the morning, i started getting some sort of haze on the right side of the side imaging.  it had worked fine for several hours.  Once it started doing this I could not get it to stop.  Any suggestions or advice?

Offline coriobay

• Unit(s): 898csi
  • Software: 6.1
  • Accessories: none
I am not the expert but the lines on on the centreline is turbulance from the hull or motors or something attached to the boat,

the rest look like air bubbles from another boat that just run over the area, i get the same if i follow another boat.

Offline fishwhenican

the rest look like air bubbles from another boat that just run over the area, i get the same if i follow another boat.

I had originally thought this as well, I had two boats pass on the right side of me about 10-15 minutes prior to snapping this screen shot.  I found it odd that the haziness only showed up on the right side though.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
That haziness also seems to mainly appear after 23 feet of distance from the transducer as well.  Where is your transducer mounted and could it possibly be cocked counterclockwise when viewed from behind.  Either that or maybe the boat was listing to the port side such that the right Si beam was pointing more upwards than the left Si beam?

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline fishwhenican

That haziness also seems to mainly appear after 23 feet of distance from the transducer as well.  Where is your transducer mounted and could it possibly be cocked counterclockwise when viewed from behind.  Either that or maybe the boat was listing to the port side such that the right Si beam was pointing more upwards than the left Si beam?

The transducer is mounted on an aluminum plate welded to the boat from the factory.  It is clear from all obstructions.  I had used the finder continuously for about 1 1/2 hours before the haziness appeared getting, clear great results.  I had not had any problems until those boats passed by.  None of the variables changed from the time I started to the time the haziness appeared.  I had the same person in the boat, and maintained the same rate of speed. I checked the transducer when I pulled the boat out of the water and it had not moved.  It was still lined up with the marks I scribed on the plate during my installation.  It is a puzzler!

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
By “None of the variables changed from the time I started to the time the haziness appeared” I am assuming that you meant that the water conditions did not change either than, correct?

Is there anything to the left of the transducer?  I know that your concern is the haze in the right Si beam but maybe it is not showing in the left Si beam because the very top of the beam is blocked?

Offline fishwhenican

By “None of the variables changed from the time I started to the time the haziness appeared” I am assuming that you meant that the water conditions did not change either than, correct? (yes, we launched about 8:00 and left the water about 11:00.

Is there anything to the left of the transducer?  I know that your concern is the haze in the right Si beam but maybe it is not showing in the left Si beam because the very top of the beam is blocked?

There is nothing to the left or right of the transducer.  My boat is a thuderjet luxor and the outboard is mounted on a platform.  I will snap a picture and post it. I might try and lower the transducer, I mounted as high as I though practical to make sure it would not get hit by anything. The weird part is everything worked great for the first couple of hours and then it started this haziness.   I was able to mark sturgeon clearly on the bottom which is what I was hoping it would do.   I am heading out again this weekend I will try again and post my results if I am still having problems.  Thanks for your help.

Offline fishwhenican

So I double and triple checked the install.  Everything is level and looks good.  I still cannot seem to get rid of the haze on the right side Side imaging.  I recorded for a full hour and the haziness is in every shot.  I am going to take a picture of my install tomorrow and post it.

Offline stillbear

• Stillbear
  • Unit(s): 997c SI - 1198 c SI - HDS-10
  • Software: 5.840 5.700- 4.0
  • Accessories: Barometer ,GRHA , 8gb 30 mb/ extreme III
Need to see two images of the mounted transducer 1st with boat setting level on trailer from rear of motor
 2nd side view looking side to side make sure you get down level with the transducer to take your shots.
   Gary

Offline Shooter00

• Unit(s): 798c SI 788ci HD
Have you tried restoring factory default while you were on the water ?

Offline fishwhenican

Have you tried restoring factory default while you were on the water ?

Yes, I have tried that

Offline Shooter00

• Unit(s): 798c SI 788ci HD
Yes, I have tried that

I would send that pic to HB and see what they say and see if they will exchange TD's with you and try a new one out....

Offline terry0540

• Unit(s): 798ci SI NVB
  • Software: 4.780
  • Accessories: none
Can you try your unit on another boat. I had the same condition and another member put my unit on his boat the haze
followed the unit. I returned my unit to HB with screen snapshots from both boats and they repaired it. Just a idea that worked for me.

Offline fishwhenican

Here are a few pictures of the transducer mounted.  Any issues or problems anyone sees?

Offline fishwhenican

more

Offline fishwhenican

last two

Offline stillbear

• Stillbear
  • Unit(s): 997c SI - 1198 c SI - HDS-10
  • Software: 5.840 5.700- 4.0
  • Accessories: Barometer ,GRHA , 8gb 30 mb/ extreme III
fishwhenican excellent images installation looks good. This time of year the water
is cold and clear the unit seams to be real sharp the water looks oxygenated 1st I would
take it out again . Make sure the transducer is level side to side with the boat loaded.
Do you have a friend with another HB you could switch heads .   Gary

PS  If it was my boat I would mount that TD to the right on that plate all the way over
to get away from any reflection from that set back .Next time out switch back and fourth
right side and left side only on the screen.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 04:13:27 AM by stillbear »

Offline fishwhenican

fishwhenican excellent images installation looks good. This time of year the water
is cold and clear the unit seams to be real sharp the water looks oxygenated 1st I would
take it out again.

This is the second trip out, and it has done it both times.  If the water is oxygenated, I would think I would see something on both sides.  I find it odd it is only on the right side.  I tired to shoot both directions seperately and it only appears on the right side.  I have also tried to reset all the factory defaults twice???   I also tried trimming the motor up as far as it would go with no change. 

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
It sure does look strange and especially on the right side and not the left...If there is nothing to possibly interfere with or inject bubbles to that side you might be looking at an internal transducer defect.
Swapping to another boat could be of help but if that is not easily done then it could be time for conversation with HB support and possibly a return.
Although I do lean towards the transducer and not so much the unit...

Chuck
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 04:34:15 PM by sonar2000 »

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
Something else I just thought of:
If you have a friend who has a unit and not installed it yet, take his transducer and put it on a stick and hold it in the water while you slowly troll.
that would eliminate your transducer.. or point to it..

Chuck

Offline Carl

• Unit(s): 798ci SI
  • Software: 4.620
I've had my unit for a couple of years and mine had the same problem on the same side.  It tends to come and go at times for me.  I also noticed that humviewer will amplify the problem compared to what you see on your unit.  I was finally able to take care of mine by adjusting the contrast with the sensitivity.  I do not see the milky look on my unit now and I still get good recordings.  However,  I do still get a slight milky look in the water column on the right side when I run the files through Humviewer.  An indication that something is still going on but I didn't want to take the time to send the unit back to Humminbird as I have already sent it in once for a sticky card slot and I'm happy with my results on the water.  I can look back through my files for pictures if I still have them.  I also posted some on this site a year ago but I don't think anyone really knows what is causing the issue.  I also didn't swap transducers or units with anyone as I just fish occasionally and don't know anyone to swap with.

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
Unless you send the whole unit to HB the only way in the field to determine the cause of the problem is to swap. 

For those that cant make this happen..........wait for those that can and then look for posted results...

Chuck

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Here’s a thought: it is oxygenated water and due to the transducer being mounted so close to the setback of the boat; the uppermost portion of the left Si sonar is being blocked and does not show this oxygenated water.   ???  ;D  The only way to know if this is going on is to test the unit with another Si transducer hung below the boat or remove the one you have and mount it on a pole or broom handle and lower it down below the boat while drifting.

You can test this or your unit on another person’s Si transducer even if it is not another 798 unit.  You can swap with any other Si unit that we have made for this test – just connect only the power and transducer for the test(s).

Offline fishwhenican

Here’s a thought: it is oxygenated water and due to the transducer being mounted so close to the setback of the boat; the uppermost portion of the left Si sonar is being blocked and does not show this oxygenated water.   ???  ;D 

Can you explain this a little more please?  I am not sure I am following you. 

This still does not explain why it showed up an hour or so after the first use.  You would think it would have shown up immediately? ???

Offline fishwhenican

PS  If it was my boat I would mount that TD to the right on that plate all the way over
to get away from any reflection from that set back .Next time out switch back and fourth

I might try moving th TD over as you suggested and see if I get any better results.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
I mean that there could be very small air bubbles mixed in the top foot or so of the water.  If the uppermost part of the left Si beam is being blocked by the setback hull it would not show this while the fully unblocked right Si beam would.

It does not explain why this showed up after an hour or so unless the water conditions did change or you started going over an area of water where a boat had recently passed.

See if you can cross test your unit on someone else’s Si transducer, their unit on your transducer and/or hang your transducer below your boat to see if this continues or not.

Offline fishwhenican

I mean that there could be very small air bubbles mixed in the top foot or so of the water.  If the uppermost part of the left Si beam is being blocked by the setback hull it would not show this while the fully unblocked right Si beam would.

It does not explain why this showed up after an hour or so unless the water conditions did change or you started going over an area of water where a boat had recently passed.

See if you can cross test your unit on someone else’s Si transducer, their unit on your transducer and/or hang your transducer below your boat to see if this continues or not.

Ok, That makes sense.  I am going to see if I can track someone down with another unit.  If not I will try the broom handle trick.  It might be a few weeks until I get back on the water.  Thanks again!

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
After looking at your picture in an exploded view, it appears that the right transducer is either getting above the water line or is malfunctioning. I dont think it is bubbles as much as a bounce. Could someone have moved in the boat and caused the transducer to rock slightly on the right element.

I agree now that lowering the transducer in the water may prove to be helpful in determining this issue.....

If that does not do it then I would swap or send in for repair..

chuck

Offline fishwhenican

take it out again . Make sure the transducer is level side to side with the boat loaded.
Do you have a friend with another HB you could switch heads .   Gary

Sorry, Stillbear could you clarify this. Do you think the transducer should be closer of farther away from the motor.  If it is farther away, will the setback interfere with the SI on the left side.  I am getting interference on my sonar as well.  It is almost unreadable from 0-10ft.  Sonar is good from 20ft down.  Down imaging is horrible most of the time, tons of clutter and haziness.  Side imaging is ok.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 11:17:37 PM by fishwhenican »

Offline fishwhenican

Here is a screen shot of the sonar the weekend before last see how the upper 20ft look cluttered.  No matter what I do it will not go away.

The image is cool. This is a bunch of Mackinaw heavily feeding on a school of kokonee!!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 11:25:48 PM by fishwhenican »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo