Author Topic: Need help from customer support getting 570DI fixed/updated  (Read 18232 times)

Offline ctf58

• Unit(s): 570 DI
Need help from customer support getting 570DI fixed/updated
« on: September 08, 2011, 10:24:20 AM »
Hey guys I need some help. :-\

I'm kind of getting the run around from customer support. I've taken my humminbird 570DI out a couple of times fishing in water about 20 feet with no problems. About a  week ago I went to pre-fish a little for a upcoming local tournament. when I got into 6 feet of water the 570DI went nuts and started reading 275' 345' and would not correct even after moving out to 10+ feet of water until I turned it off and back on. I've read that this is an issue so I called Hummindird support. First person told me it was because the transducer was trolling motor mounted and I needed a new cable with better shielding. I did not think that was the problem because I was not using the trolling motor at the time, it was not even plugged in yet.
I called back today and the guy said it is a known software issue and I need version 4.3
The only version listed on the site is 4.1.1
The guy agreed and said that he could email me the 4.3 version but I needed to buy something like $75 in cables or I could send it in for an update.
I do not really want to send the unit in because I need to have it to pre-fish this weekend and got to have it for the tournament next weekend and am afraid that I will not get it back in time.
The issue I have is why should I have to pay for cables or shipping for a known issue that was from the factory.
I can't return it in time because I got it from Bass Pro Shops 200 miles away and the customer support guy said that all 570DI's were shipped with the buggy version so I would not gain anything.

Why won't they just ship me the cables? If the 570DI is a upgradable system why wouldn't Humminbird give you the capability to upgrade them?

I was very nice and understand that these CS guys might be reading off a troubleshooting list but I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Please somebody give me some advise
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 10:57:57 AM by ctf58 »

Offline ITGEEK

• Unit(s): 1198c -Team Watters SS - Lexerd SP
  • Software: 7.670
  • Accessories: XM Weather - Weathersense
Re: Need help from customer support getting 570DI fixed/updated
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 03:06:36 PM »
I don't understand why the CS person told you to use version 4.3 if it's not yet
available to the public.  I would think if they can send it to you, then it will
most likely be available to you soon through the website.

I would check the obvious first.
 Battery condition.  Charge it up and load test it.
 Battery connections.
 Connections at the back of your unit.

I don't know if you have a gas motor, but that could be
giving you interference.  Cut everything off in the boat
except the sonar and see if it still gives you problems.
If you're fishing close to other boats, their trolling motors
may also give you interference.

Also, the angle of your transducer needs to be flat
against the water with your boat at normal operating
weight.  You may have touched something with it, or it may
have come loose from the bracket.  If it's
angled too far from front to back or vice versa, or not
level, then it won't work at peak efficiency.

Good luck.

Offline ctf58

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 04:07:55 PM »
Thanks ITGEEK,

It's on the trolling motor.
When this happened (which was about 5 times) 3 times it was when I was just floating without using trolling motor. Once the trolling motor was not even plugged into power. Battery is brand new and fully charged. No boats on the water at the time. Battery connections were tight, because I had just put the battery in. I also thought the transducer might be bumped but it was level and square on the trolling motor.
I read on another post that someone had the exact same issues and Humminbird sent them the update via email just like the customer support offered too me.
I just do not understand why they would charge me $75 for cables to fix a "know issue". I know it would be cheaper to pay shipping to them but I think that is sorta cheesy since I did not damage it and they acknowledge that it was shipped from the factory with bad software. Just by the customer support guy saying that if I exchanged it a Bass Pro I would not know if the replacement worked right until I hooked it up and tested it to see what version software was on it.
The guy was ok to deal with but not very outgoing or helpful. He had an attitude of "what ever, but I'm not going out of my way to help."
 I guess I expected a little more from a great company like Humminbird.
This forum has spoiled me I guess, the people here really seem to care.   

Offline navionic

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 04:45:37 PM »

Obviously you're not in the subject.
http://www.xumba.scholleco.com/viewtopic.php?t=3714
Acknowledge the problem. She has more global than you think. Until we found out that the problematic devices were released in April and May 2011. Why is silent producer'll never know.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 04:49:39 PM by navionic »

Offline ctf58

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 07:23:26 PM »
So is my only option to return the unit to humminbird and not have a bow sonar? Also can I return only the head unit? Wiring was a pain to do it right. I am not going to be a happy camper if I have to fish my "first tournament with my down imaging sonar" without the down imaging sonar because it was defective. My other hb 141 is great but it is on the dash.

Offline ctf58

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 10:06:11 PM »
Anyone know if HB will send me a new unit if I pay for it and credit me when I return my defective unit? That would be the closest to a good outcome for me.

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
  • Unit(s): 1197c SI, 997c SI & 785c2
  • Software: 4.950 & 4.510
  • Accessories: Interlink & GRHA
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 11:55:49 PM »
ctf58,

Doesnt sound like they are giving you the run around.  The fact that they are willing to let you send it in and do the upgrade is fantastic.  You just need it quicker than they can get it back. 

If you are handy with the soldering iron, you could make the cable pretty easy.  You would have to buy the USB to Serial adapter somewhere.  You dont have to buy the one from Humminbird. Here's one on ebay for $4

They will do advanced shipping for defective units, but you have to pay for the new unit, then they refund you once they recieve the other unit back.

Good Luck,

Robert
Humminbird Guru and Forum Administrator

Offline ITGEEK

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 06:59:09 AM »
Hey Navionic.
What did you say?  I couldn't quite understand your post.

Offline ctf58

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 10:07:24 AM »
Thanks RGecy about the answer about advance shipping as well as the serial to USB link. I will call today about the advance shipping to see if they have one in stock. As far as the serial to USB, what soldering would be needed? And I would still have to buy the AS PC2? I know i could power the unit from the boat, but I do not have the serial to unit connector. I might want to have that if there are future updates.

I understand that they are trying to work with me and yes I am the one on the time constraint. It is just frustrating when you buy something new, only to find out that a company shipped products that were defective and then want to charge the customer any amount to get it fixed.

It would not help me time wise for the tournament but I would not be near as frustrated if customer support would at least pay the shipping both ways. I asked and the guy said it was not there responsibility.
I could use the unit I have in the tournament and then ship it to them because I'll know when I am in shallow water.

And by run-a-round I meant was the first guy saying it was a shielding issue causing interference and I needed a new cable. I mentioned that I had read on a forum of similar issues and that up-dated software had corrected the other people's problems. The first guy stated that there were no known problems. I call about a week later after experiencing the same issue and this guy says oh yes there is a known issue and there is a fix for it but if I return the unit to the store I purchased it from it would be a crap shoot and I might get a unit with the same issue because the defective ones were not called back. I guess I'm more upset with Humminbird Quality Assurance than I am Customer Support.

I understand software can be buggy at times but I've never heard of a company costing customers money to for the fix. 

Thanks again RGecy and ITGEEK for the suggestions. Navionic I was also a little confused but I did go to the link you  provided.   

Offline navionic

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 10:51:39 AM »
Hey Navionic.
What did you say?  I couldn't quite understand your post.

Support Humminbird does not understand.
They do not know or understand what I mean.
Watch the video:
MVI_8865.avi

Offline navionic

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 11:08:55 AM »
Hey guys I need some help.
The guy agreed and said that he could email me the 4.3 version but I needed to buy something like $75 in cables or I could send it in for an update.
Do you have version 4.30?

Offline ctf58

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 11:52:07 AM »
no they said they would email it to me but I did not tell them to go ahead because I have no way to get it from my computer to the unit. Plus my laptop is being repaired. I'm posting from phone or work.

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
  • Unit(s): 1197c SI, 997c SI & 785c2
  • Software: 4.950 & 4.510
  • Accessories: Interlink & GRHA
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 01:17:19 AM »
ctf,

You keep saying version 4.300, but your unit has 5.470 installed.  The latest software version out for the 570DI that is in testing is 5.640. 

I would go ahead and but the AS PC2 cable and then get the USB to Serial cable off ebay.  In the post above, I was refering to building your own AS PC2 cable.  You just need an old serial cable and the accessory cable from Humminbird.  Ther pins and diagrams for making your own are here on the forum.  I have made several.

Robert
Humminbird Guru and Forum Administrator

Offline ctf58

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2011, 09:56:38 AM »
Thanks again RGecy. The reason I said 4.3 is because that is what the CS guy called it amd it made sense since 4.1.1 is the update listed on HB   website as the current availible upgrade. Maybe it is a update number instead of a true version #.
I'm going to use the one I have through the tournament then send it in. I giess I was just excited to show off my new boat and new sonar to a friend and over reacted that the sonar was not 100%. My friend was looking to buy a new sonar and I hoped he would like mine and get something similar.

Offline navionic

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2011, 11:03:41 AM »
ctf,
You keep saying version 4.300, but your unit has 5.470 installed.  The latest software version out for the 570DI that is in testing is 5.640. 
4.300 -This firmware is the BIOS.It needs to be updated .The current version of firmware is working
Only you can find  4.300?  ::)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 11:06:43 AM by navionic »

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 08:57:57 AM »
ctf58,
Did you ever get your unit sent in and the software updated?

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline Solowolf

• Unit(s): 570 di
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2011, 02:17:17 AM »
Dear friends,
I have a little bit different issue when my 570 di restarts when trying to enter into training mode (with or without transducer).
It looks that their customer support is actually is not willing to help at all. I am trying to get the soft during last couple of weeks. Their response is just to send them an item while I can not do it by now since out of the country for at least 6 months. It appears that my version of the firmware is not working properly. I tried to find it in Internet but can not see any proper one. If somebody has a working (mayble not the latest one soft for 570 di please send me or reference or provide some advise it the problem is known to you.
Thanks a lot.

Update: Unfortunately software update did not help. Therefore other ways to resolve the issue are welcomed
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 02:56:43 AM by Solowolf »

Offline navionic

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2011, 03:29:36 AM »
ctf58,
Did you ever get your unit sent in and the software updated?
It is strange. Why someone is sending software updated. Another denied.

Offline ctf58

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2011, 02:00:17 PM »
Sorry I did not update. Called customer service and they emailed me the updated software. Got a AS-PC2 cable and a serial to USB adapter from ebay. The serial to usb did not work because the drivers were no good (cheap unbranded China item). So I went to my work because that computer has a serial port. Software uploaded just fine and unit worked 100% better.

Thanks for all the help !

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2011, 03:45:42 PM »
Dear friends,
I have a little bit different issue when my 570 di restarts when trying to enter into training mode (with or without transducer).
It looks that their customer support is actually is not willing to help at all. I am trying to get the soft during last couple of weeks. Their response is just to send them an item while I can not do it by now since out of the country for at least 6 months. It appears that my version of the firmware is not working properly. I tried to find it in Internet but can not see any proper one. If somebody has a working (mayble not the latest one soft for 570 di please send me to yevlanovATgmail.com or reference or provide some advise it the problem is known to you.
Thanks a lot.

Solowolf,
Is that the U.S. Customer Service folks who will not send you the software or is that a local customer support group?

Is your unit a 570 DI or a 570X DI model (U.S. version or International version)?

Offline Solowolf

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2011, 12:49:54 PM »
to Humminbird_Greg,
These are people for service@humminbird.com which are probably US-based. The unit is 570di (not X) and it was officially bought in US by myself around 3 weeks ago. The item is traveling with me of course.
I am not really sure whether update of the software would help but since I can post it back for servicing in half-year time only it would be the only (and I recon a good) opportunity anyway.
Regards

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2011, 01:57:17 PM »
That would be the e-mail contact address for our folks here in Eufaula, Alabama (U.S.A>). I called and spoke to someone about this and it all boils down to you being an international Customer with e domestic (U.S.) version unit and the fact that we do not know for certain that the software update would do you any good at all.  The 500 series units do not normally get free software upgrades either though they have offered some free of charge in some instances.

Offline Solowolf

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2011, 03:18:12 PM »
Quite an interesting position however. I live around half a year in Tampa and another half in Europe. I am not an US citizen but Ive never heard that service is only for the citizens. Should I have 2 products if so: one for US use and another one for Ukraine? Sounds strange as well.
I am also not sure if new soft would help or it is an electronic issue but at least I can tryand it the only thing I ask. I do not need any soft update free of charge. I've just expected to have properly working unit (which presumes at least some quality control when it goes out of the factory) but not wait for half a year before I can get it repaired and use my lowrance x4 which is quite old instead. Providing soft to some users only on a selective basis it is also not the best practice of customer support I believe. I would expect practical assistance or solution regardless where I am today.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 06:56:31 AM by Solowolf »

Offline ITGEEK

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2011, 07:49:06 AM »
You learn something everyday.
I assumed all HB units had free software updates.

Offline Solowolf

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2011, 08:54:31 AM »
It their right to provide update or not for units work better than it was described in the glance (e.g. improvements). And whether to charge money for it as well. But providing the software update to remove bugs it is what is normally expected. The issue is that it appears the soft is provided on "like-dislike basis" which I recon not the best service standard.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2011, 02:09:28 PM »
I do not understand why you would think that this a “like-dislike basis”?
You are considered an international Customer due to your not (currently) living in the U.S.A.  As such you should work with your local international dealer who may refuse to help since you have a domestic version unit as I have heard of this happening.

You might want to consider returning the unit through the retailer you purchased it from.

ITG,
As far as software updates are concerned: at a certain price point for a unit and above we do offer free software upgrades.  Below that we only offer them for free to fix specific known problems.  Now these same upgrades are still available to those that want them but they are not free of charge.  Depending on the unit type you may have to ship your unit in to us to get that software upgrade.

Offline Solowolf

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2011, 02:41:55 PM »
From which point I became an international customer? when I got it delivered to my house in FL? Or I should have two units for whatever reason? Or I should not travel at all?
I have already mention that I cannot send it anywhere since it will be my own expenses and the cost of sending is around half of the unit cost each way. Local distributors has nothing in respect of this item and advised myself contact US service centre and will do nothing for free. And I a not intended to pay by myself for the repair of the item I just bought and which was broken OUT OF THE BOX already.
Again - I do not need any update of the software free of charge. I just want to have what I have paid for - the working unit. I suggested the solution which may (or may not) help at no cost to everybody. I was rejected because of I am "an international customer" since I am out of the country as of today and (or?) because the software is provided for "known cases" only. And this case is quite "known" even on this forum.
If it is the final position it would ends up sending the unit for servicing when I back but I do not know who would benefit from it - me with broken item (due to clearly manufacturer's fault) or humminbird because now it is my duty to spend some time to inform the potential users of what to expect regarding the quality and service of the humminbird units in any substandard situation.

Offline Bob B

• Unit(s): 1197c si, 1198c si
  • Software: 6.310, 6.490
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2011, 03:52:47 PM »
Solowolf, sound like you are "beween a rock and a hard place" as they say in the states.

From what I am understanding from Greg, the problem you are experiencing is not the same as ctf58, and a software....or BIOS update may not even resolve the problem.  In order to perform the update yourself, you would also have to have the necessary cable, and that would involve purchasing it.
If the unit is working other than the simulator mode, I would just wait til I got back to Florida to send it to HB, since it should still be in warranty at that point.

After all, it isn't Humminbirds fault that you bought the unit and then left the country.

Just my o2 cents.

Came back as an afterthought.  You could send ctf58 an email or private message.  Maybe he could email you the update.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 04:28:47 PM by Bob B »
**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2011, 06:05:58 PM »

ITG,
As far as software updates are concerned: at a certain price point for a unit and above we do offer free software upgrades.  Below that we only offer them for free to fix specific known problems.  Now these same upgrades are still available to those that want them but they are not free of charge.  Depending on the unit type you may have to ship your unit in to us to get that software upgrade.

Ouch....sounds like built in obsolesce...Buy now, in 3 years buy again....

Chuck

Offline Solowolf

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2011, 11:56:14 PM »
The cable is not the issue - I could borrow it for some time. I am not yet know regarding other sympthoms since the weather does not permit for now ( I would update the forum when I try it during "fieldwork").
The issue is not the same as in this discussion top but is the same as in another discussion of this forum. i mentioned it in this context. But there was no outcome and no solution and the posting was quite old therefore I posted my issue here where software was the solution.
Anyway, thanks to everybody involved. It is likely that I will end up as mentioned above.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 02:33:10 PM by Solowolf »

Offline ctf58

« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2011, 03:09:39 PM »
Sent you a message.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2011, 12:17:16 PM »
I’m hoping that this means that ctf58 sent Solowolf the software update.  I would have but my hands are tied on some things guys.

Offline ctf58

« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2011, 12:18:09 AM »
Found it remotely while out of town and sent it to you. Let me know if I can help you any more.

Offline Solowolf

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2011, 10:26:48 AM »
I've got it together with instructions. Unfortunately software update did not help.
Probably it is the only thing that could help remotely.

Thanks again and happy fishing
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 03:03:54 AM by Solowolf »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo