Author Topic: New Member 1197 Question! Hello All  (Read 4945 times)

Offline Ranger0019

• Unit(s): 1197SI HD & 995C
New Member 1197 Question! Hello All
« on: March 27, 2018, 10:12:36 PM »
Hello Everyone!

I am new to the forum and already really appreciate the vast amount of info on here. It is very impressive!

I am having issues with my 1197. I just purchased this from a guy on craigslist a few months ago which it was working fine the 1st time I used it. For some reason there are now no map tabs (when stepping through views). All though my GPS puck is connecting to satellites and my unit getting full power (new battery and tested voltage on unit side with multimeter). Now that there are no maps its also getting stuck on this screen and freezing after going through all the views a few times... It gives me the following text.... (Tried to attach picture of the frozen screen.. hope this works)

**THE TRACK WILL RECORD FOR 10 MORE MINUTES BEFORE BEING FULL. SAVE THE TRACK AND CREATE A NEW ONE OR ADJUST THE TRACK POINT INTERVAL TO AVOID OVER WRITING DATA**

Has anyone seen this before and know why it would be getting stuck here?

From here I went ahead and went back to an older software possibly thinking that might work.. No luck so far :(.. no maps and one through views it gets stuck on that dang message. Oh also the unit was running most recent software. On thing the seller did remove all waypoints.. Maybe something happened here?

Any help is greatly appreciated!! Sorry for the long story.

-Matt
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 10:17:31 PM by Ranger0019 »

Offline Ranger0019

Re: New Member 1197 Question! Hello All
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 10:40:02 PM »
I also cannot get into the waypoint reset in simulation mode. The unit just automatically freezes when I try to click on it.

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 11:33:38 PM »
That popup should only occur when the Current Track has been active for some time and it is nearing becoming full (20,000 track points)  ...

Clearing Current Track is a good idea at least once per day as we have seen reports of weird gremlins in map functions when the track point cache is becoming full  ... (Save Current Track before clearing Current Track if that track is important for retracing)  ...
-----

Map views (and no Chart tab or Nav tab) is an indication of no satellite reception  ...

Make GPS Diagnostic view Visible under the Views tab to have info if the satellites are being received  ...

Also  ... Inspect the "pigtail" of the GPS antenna cable (the short cable near the connector)  ... Remove the plastic cap on the pigtail and verify that none of the bare wire ends are touching each other  ... Then put a drop of glue or silicone on the bare wire tips before replacing the plastic cap to help keep the bare wire ends separated  ...
-----

Export all waypoints and open them in Humminbird PC (free software in your HB account) to inspect for corrupt waypoints  ... Look for odd dates, lat/lon formats that don't look right, even odd characters or spaces in waypoint names can cause issues (only use letters or numbers)  ...

Then delete all waypoints from the unit and test operation with no waypoints in the unit  ...
-----

Remove map cards, Restore Defaults and test operation with no map cards in the unit  ...

Rickie
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 11:42:35 PM by rnvinc »

Offline Ranger0019

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 09:26:25 AM »
Hello RNVIC-

Thank you for the reply!

It seems this unit is stuck on recording a track even though the boat/unit are not moving anywhere.

As for the Map Views.. My GPS puck is reading that its locking in with satellites and it shows connected on the GPS diagnostic but still no map views which is odd.. I have not checked the pig tails yet (Ill do that when I get home from work today).

Am I able to export waypoints if not even able to click into that without the unit freezing? The previous user supposedly removed all the waypoints but I am not able to click into that to confirm this is true? I have a feeling when he was deleting them he turned of unit or program prior to being finish (Just an idea)?

I would love to be able to delete all the waypoints but I just flat out freezes every time I go into that location of the unit :(.   

Hmm..

Offline Ranger0019

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 08:26:36 PM »
Alright adding another update..

On the unit I am not able to get into the waypoint section or clear current track because it freezes the unit right away. My goal was to go in an delete ALL waypoints since one could be corrupt causing this.

Does anyone have an alternate route on how to do this?

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 09:56:28 PM »
Did you try taking out all SD cards  ...??
-----

Can you get into the Setup tab to Restore Defaults  ...??
(And also look for "Format Nav Directories" under the Setup tab)  ...

Rickie

Offline Ranger0019

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 09:26:35 AM »
This has been fixed.. Only way I was able to get into the waypoint/current track section on the unit was to go back to software 5.5... This seems to be the fix to a lot of glitches as I tried 3 other version above this that did not work.

Good to go and thank you for everyone who chimed in!

Offline fishreed

• fishreed
  • Unit(s): 899CI SI HD,1199SI HD, Helix 12 SI GEN3
  • Software: current
  • Accessories: ALL, and a HW ducer for the Helix 12 2D
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2018, 06:09:39 PM »
This has been fixed.. Only way I was able to get into the waypoint/current track section on the unit was to go back to software 5.5... This seems to be the fix to a lot of glitches as I tried 3 other version above this that did not work.

I'm glad you fixed it  Ranger, the one thing  preach to everyone regardless of the brand sonar electronics  they use,  software upgrades are a more of a pain in the butt than they are worth. 90%  of the time the mfg has never upgraded a unit to see if they even work.  I stay away from software upgrades  like a bad case of Herpes....if it is not broke....don't try to fix it thinking  a software upgrade is a magic genie  in a bottle to your problems.

Offline Bob B

• Unit(s): 1197c si, 1198c si
  • Software: 6.310, 6.490
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2018, 06:38:43 PM »

For the 1197, version 6.310 is generally very bullet proof.  That is what I am running on mine and do not have any issues like you are describing.  I have heard reports of waypoints causing problems from on release to another even though I haven't had that problem.  Sometimes things like duplicate or corrupt waypoints can cause problems at one release and not another.  It might be worth making sure you have a good backup of your waypoints and then format the Nav directory in your unit.  Look at the waypoints closely in Humminbird PC before you do the format to make sure you have a good backup. Scan the waypoints to make sure you don't have any duplicate waypoint names or waypoint names with special characters ..... Test your unit without the waypoints to see if it is OK.  Once you are satisfied it is OK, write the waypoints from HB PC to another SD card and load them back in the unit.
**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo