Author Topic: Any Perch fisherman on here?  (Read 4070 times)

Offline October1

• Unit(s): Getting ready to buy
  • Software: N/A
  • Accessories: None
Any Perch fisherman on here?
« on: February 17, 2018, 06:34:54 PM »
I would love to see screen shots of perch & any perch finding/fishing tips would be welcome as well.

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
Re: Any Perch fisherman on here?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 09:41:38 PM »
Jason Halfen doesn't visit here very often but he does have lots of info for the Northern fishermen  ...

http://www.jasonhalfenoutdoors.com

Rickie

Offline October1

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 12:02:44 AM »
I have been on Jason's site before & didn't see much about perch, but I went there & checked again anyway since you were so kind as to reply and post a link. I found a little on perch, but I still didn't find what I was looking for. It's mostly just a lot of products he is selling. I'm sure they are all good products but not really what I was looking for.

When I was a kid in the late 70's & early 80's we used to have phenomenal perch fishing off the piers and out of boats in lake Michigan for jumbo perch. Plus good perch fishing in Muskegon lake, but then invasive species caused too much chaos and the fishery started to collapse. By the mid 80's we could catch 200-500 perch a day out of Muskegon lake ice fishing, but most were small. About one out of 20 was a keeper. Eventually we couldn't even catch a single perch of any size. Then the inland lakes started getting fished out as pressure switched to them & I eventually quit fishing for perch all together and became a river fisherman for trout. Eventually I quit fishing and now I am slowly trying to get back into it.

I'm sure I will never see the glory days of perching again but I know enough are around that if I can learn how to find them I may be able to be spoiled enough to make me happy. They have been very slowly growing in numbers over the years and I know there are guys that do real well on a fairly regular basis, but they are very secretive. So if I can learn more about how and where to find them with sonar throughout the year that would be a great help in becoming a serious perch fisherman again. I'm sure I can figure it out eventually. It would just be nice to shorten the learning curve (especially for lake Michigan) because you can't just go anywhere and catch lots of nice size perch anymore. It seems like seeing perch on sonar may be difficult since they are relatively small and like to hug bottom so I was curious if anyone would have any screen shots of them.

I know there are some serious percher's out there. I just don't know where to find any willing to share their knowledge. I was hoping I might find some of them here.

It's kind of surprising that you can find plenty on finding and fishing for crappies, bluegills, bass, walleye and many others but there is not much on becoming proficient at fishing for perch that I have seen. Mostly just some info here and there on short windows of opportunity.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 12:21:23 AM by October1 »

Offline October1

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 01:17:15 AM »
I guess I shouldn't say there is hardly any info on perch tactics because there is. Just not so much about finding the roaming schools of big perch that like to run the deep water around here in lake Michigan and deeper connecting waters like Muskegon lake. I can always catch an occasional smaller perch (usually 4"-7"), but it's more of an accidental catch than anything and it rarely happens in any numbers.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 01:22:25 AM by October1 »

Offline fshndude

• Unit(s): Helix 8 DI+, 9 G2N, Helix 12+ A/C Pro,
  • Accessories: Ulterra i link, ethernet,
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 06:13:08 PM »
I know what you are going to think, but Crappie.Com. There is a forum that you just might like for your perch. I am in NC so I wouldn't be as much help. There is also a state forum that might be of some help.
Dave in Currituck,NC

Offline October1

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 10:57:40 PM »
Thank you fshndude. I will check it out. 8)

Offline October1

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 09:27:23 PM »
fshndude,
Thanks again. I have been looking around on that forum and found some decent info. I was going to join but they require too much personal information like my date of birth, the town I live in, my favorite lake to fish, etc. I wanted to help a guy getting some bad info but I decided some forums are getting too demanding of personal info and skipped it. I know I could lie but if I feel I have to lie to join a forum I figured maybe I just shouldn't join. Thing is, if it was voluntary I may have given most of that info, but being required seemed like a little much.

Offline fshndude

• Unit(s): Helix 8 DI+, 9 G2N, Helix 12+ A/C Pro,
  • Accessories: Ulterra i link, ethernet,
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 12:15:43 PM »
I am sure you had to give up personal info to be a member of this site. I have been a member of Crappie.com for years, as rnvinc is also. I understand your concerns about you personal information, but that site has some of the most tight rules I have ever seen. It is a VERY family site, but as I said its your choice. Just passing along what I could. Oh and the yellow perch are in full swing down here. Have fun and tight lines to you.
Dave in Currituck,NC

Offline October1

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 01:42:44 PM »
This site doesn't require any personal info, but who knows. Maybe I will change my mind and join crappie.com at some point. It seems to be a decent forum and I like crappie's too!

Hopefully you can get some yellow perch. They sure are great eating. If I get some perch this summer hopefully I will remember this thread so I can try to get some screen shots to post. Good luck and stay safe.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 01:48:00 PM by October1 »

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2018, 08:12:28 AM »
I assure you crappie.com only uses your birthday to send you a Happy birthday notification  ...

I've been a member there a long time  ...

Rickie

Offline October1

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2018, 06:55:35 PM »
That's what I figured and I guess I shouldn't have mentioned birth date because I don't really mind that one even if they show it. My age is not a big deal. I don't care about that, but the town I live in and my favorite lake just seem a little much. Especially when you are likely to be posting on what you catch. You could end up with a lot of help on your favorite lake.

It seems as time goes on everybody wants more and more information from you and it ends up in some big data base and combined with other information about you. Like I said, I could always lie, but I prefer not to lie and it's more about when is it going to stop? They just keep asking for more & more and accumulating more and more info about you. As people get desensitized to being asked for something as required information websites will ask for even more and so on.

It used to be you just needed to pick a user name, a password and an email because that is all that is necessary.

I may still join it at some point though.

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 11:25:17 PM »
If you look at my avatar and info (at crappie.com) I only list a general location of "West Ky"  ...

I've seen many users list even more general than that  ...

Bunch of helpful people there  ... The mods keep to the rules also  ...  following the owner's mantra of "kid friendly"  ...

Rickie
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 11:28:11 PM by rnvinc »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo