Author Topic: Getting the hang of the 598. Advice on tweaking settings please...  (Read 6518 times)

Offline flippinphil

• Unit(s): 598ci HD SI with XHS 9 HDSI 180
  • Software: 6.460
  • Accessories: Portable (PTC-U)
I have a 598ci that is upgraded to the HDSI transducer.  I have this unit set up as a portable as I fish out of different boats as part of a fishing club. 

Last week I visited a lake where the owner kept a photo book of the lake's construction on the coffee table in the guest cabin.  I was encouraged that I was able to locate much of the structure in the book on my SI unit.  I am interested in garnering suggestions on tweaking the settings based on the screenshots.  Seems the sensitivity may need to be increased to show further definition of structure/cover.  Also, I was not able to discern many fish (other than bait) on the screen shots, but the lake is absolutely full of shad, tilapia, and bass.  The largest bass caught was 8.4 on a buzzbait.

Most of what I noticed in the screenshots was only after I uploaded to my computer after the trip.  Given the smaller screen of the 598, perhaps I need to be using the zoom more and trying to interpret in real time.

The pictures show huge piles of logs (trees) that were assembled from cleared timber, as well as a sunken van/truck.

I am anxiously awaiting the release of Lakemaster AutoChart and the ability to create maps of these private lakes.

Any/all suggestions appreciated.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 05:37:59 PM by flippinphil »

Offline slabbacks

• Is it Friday yet!
  • Unit(s): 898c HD SI / 859ci HD
  • Software: 6.490
Re: Getting the hang of the 598. Advice on tweaking settings please...
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 03:43:59 AM »
flippin I've been using inverse and sharpness to bring out the fish.  I will go through an area in SI blue and mark structure, I then go closer in the inverse screen and up sharpness. I find that it really pulls out the fish.  The shot will be grainy but I'm wanting to find fish not post a nice snapshot.

not sure on your unit but if you have this option you may want to give it a try.  I'm going off the 898.  Hope this helps out and if not a option for you sorry for the miss information.  Good luck
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 03:47:33 AM by slabbacks »
Tell them I've gone fishing!

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 12:53:07 PM »
He’s got the same options on his 598 unit slabbacks.  Glad to see that some are using more than just the blue or amber colors.  I like the grey and inverse colors too depending on the ambient light conditions (or maybe it’s how old my eyes are on that particular day).

I would recommend either reducing the SI Range or changing the unit to show only one side (left or right) like slabbacks did in his screen snapshot above.  You cover less area but everything appears larger.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline slabbacks

• Is it Friday yet!
  • Unit(s): 898c HD SI / 859ci HD
  • Software: 6.490
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 04:50:39 PM »
Good to go, hope it works for you flippin.  Can see now where I should have changed 70 to 50 or less to inlarge for even better detail.  That info with go on the cheat sheet for sure.  thx Greg
Tell them I've gone fishing!

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 09:21:16 AM »
With the SI Range and whether to view a single side or both sides of the Si sonar is always going to be a give and take situation.  A higher range and viewing both Si beams at the same time = a larger area covered, but you may not be able to see the detail that you need.  The general consensus is to set the SI Range menu at 2x to 3x the water depth.  Slabbacks image showed that he was set to less than this and when combined with showing only the right Si sonar, allowed us to see individual fish where a larger SI Range setting of viewing both sides of the Si sonar may not have allowed us to do so as easily.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline flippinphil

• Unit(s): 598ci HD SI with XHS 9 HDSI 180
  • Software: 6.460
  • Accessories: Portable (PTC-U)
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 09:55:27 AM »
I will play around with those settings next time. I can see where the inverse might be useful for seeing detail under the boat. To the sides it seems to all run together.  Makes sense at the ranges I'm using it might be hard to identify individual fish, even though schools of bait stand out nicely.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo