Author Topic: GPS and SI issues on 797c2 SI NVB  (Read 7954 times)

Offline bpm3067

• Unit(s): 797C2 SI
GPS and SI issues on 797c2 SI NVB
« on: January 27, 2011, 02:15:56 PM »
Hi...I'm new to this site, but I figured if anyone could help me figure out what's wrong with my HB, you guys could.

I have a 797c2 SI NVB that I bought in '08.  Unfortunately it has a few issues.  The unit stopped recognizing the GPS antenna after only a couple months of use.  The system status screen showed the GPS as "UNCONNECTED" and none of the map screens were available.  I sent it back to HB under warranty and they sent it back working fine.  The invoice indicated all that was done was update the software, but I had already done that at home with an SD card, so I'm not sure exactly what they did.  It worked fine for a few trips, but then a couple months later, it started doing the same thing again, this time after the warranty expired.

A few weeks ago, I noticed the SI screens only showed a return on the right side.  I hadn't changed anything about my setup or even updated the software since the last trip, when it worked fine.  I tried updating the software to the latest version off the HB website but this didn't make any difference, other than add the DI capability (which looks great, BTW...). Last week, I took it all off the boat to test it on a spare battery with the transducer in a bucket of water.  But this didn't fix anything either.   I doubt the transducer and/or GPS antenna have both gone bad, so my guess is that there's just some software glitch in the main unit. 

Is there anything else I can try?  Like a hard reset or something?  I've tried restoring the factory defaults already to no avail.  I really don't have the money right now for the $200 repair fee that HB will charge if I send back to them, and I really don't have confidence that even if I did send it back, it wouldn't do the same thing again.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks,

Ben

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: GPS and SI issues on 797c2 SI NVB
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 04:06:25 PM »
Ben,
I would try testing your 797c2 unit on someone else’s boat that has a 797 unit.  Be sure that it is a 787 unit as the GPS Receiver to some of the other newer Si units can damage the circuitry in your 797c Si unit.  That will show you where the problem is (unit, transducer, GPS).

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 04:18:55 PM »
Ben, which gps antenna do you have??????

Also check the connectors at the unit.
HB connectors are not a good connector and do have problems with being loose (I am talking abut the pins and female receiver).

Although, I am tending to believe that your problem is the unit.

As Greg stated you might try swaping with an identical system if you can find one close by.

You could check the membership area but not everyone here has listed their location.

You can call customer service and ask to be connected to a supervisor and explain that the problem still exists and escalate your concern especially if warranty is now an issue. It would seem it was not fixed the first time...

Be diplomatic in this conversation.
Chuck

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 04:34:02 PM »
Something else came to mind.  How often do you use the unit?.
How long does it sit without being turned on?.
Chuck

Offline bpm3067

• Unit(s): 797C2 SI
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 06:51:07 PM »
The GPS antenna is the GR 16/4.  I checked all the connections and tried spreading the pins out on all the connections with no success.  I don't know of anyone around here with an identical unit to test with, unfortunately.  I moved down here to Texas from Washington a little over a year ago, and don't know many fisherman here locally yet.  I installed the unit in the spring of '08 and used it pretty regularly (at least once a month) for that summer in Washington.  I sent it back to HB for the first repair in May 08, and then the GPS stopped working again a few weeks later.  It then sat in my garage on the boat from probably Oct 08 to Apr 09 or so without being turned on.  I used it a handful of times in the spring and summer of 09 before we moved, then it didn't get used again until last May here in Texas.  Here, I've used it a couple times a month, starting in May 2010 thoughout the summer and fall.  The left side of the SI stopped working in November.

I'll probably call HB tomorrow and see if I can talk to a supervisor.  Meanwhile, would it be useful to try and load an earlier software version on there and try that?  And then maybe try to reload the new software?  If so, how do I do that?

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 01:15:49 PM »
I don’t think loading old or new software will help at all.  Without being able test your unit on another transducer and GR16 GPS Receiver, there is no way of knowing where the problem is.  You may need to end up sending the unit, GPS Receiver and transducer in for testing.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo