Author Topic: 597 CI HD DI help  (Read 3480 times)

Offline Ozzy

• Unit(s): 597 CI HD DI
  • Software: 6.640
597 CI HD DI help
« on: July 27, 2013, 04:58:27 PM »
First off, I'm a newb. I just purchased & finally finished installing a 597 CI HD DI yesterday.  I installed the head unit last week and played with it in Simulator mode just to kind of check things out, seemed fine. I installed the transducer yesterday, and then upgraded the software from 6.09 to 6.640 (yes, I did the restore defaults prior to the upgrade) and then off to the lake. I can't get a temp reading, my transducer has the temp probe, but no temp display or temp options in any menus. In the System Status Accessory Test screen, Temperature shows Not Connected. I wrote to HB support, but I'm not sure if my email went through. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 01:02:15 PM by Ozzy »

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: 597 CI HD DI help
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 01:06:04 PM »
Welcome to the Humminbird Side Imaging Forums Ozzy.

Chances are Ozzy that the problem is in the built-in temperature sensor in the transducer.  Contact Humminbird voa phone (1-800-633-1468) and set it all up to get the transducer replaced.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline Ozzy

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 10:18:51 PM »
Thanks Greg. I have another question though in the temp reading trouble shooting realm. If I disconnected the transducer, and powered up the unit, wouldn't it give me simulated temps in Simulator mode and allow me to see the temp setting options like selecting F or C, and picking where I wanted temperature to display in the Select Readouts menu? Am I nutz, it simulates location, sonar and such without the transducer connected, if it was working correctly, wouldn't it also simulate temps without a transducer connection?
The transducer cable was an absolute pita to get routed through my boat, 3+ hours with an aircraft mech helping me and a Fish Tape. Following the wiring channels was a nightmare, if I have to go through that again... I think I'd rather live without the temp. I would have lost temp anyway if I went with the in hull mount, which I was initially considering, but then I thought it was worth drilling holes in a new boat for temp. Not so sure now. Kicking myself for not playing more with the unit prior to upgrade and transducer connection.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 10:24:11 PM by Ozzy »

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 01:00:17 PM »
If I disconnected the transducer, and powered up the unit, wouldn't it give me simulated temps in Simulator mode and allow me to see the temp setting options like selecting F or C, and picking where I wanted temperature to display in the Select Readouts menu? Am I nutz, it simulates location, sonar and such without the transducer connected, if it was working correctly, wouldn't it also simulate temps without a transducer connection?

It may and it may not Ozzy.  It really depends on how the unit was originally programmed.  Without having my hands on another 597ci HD DI unit (with the same software) I really can’t say for sure as some of the unit have had the temperature as a part of the point of purchase Simulator and some have not.  My guess is that if the Accessory Test View shows it as “NOT CONNECTED” than it was not programmed into the Simulator information and so it will not display a temperature in the Simulator mode.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline Ozzy

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 07:21:30 PM »
Ok then, fair enough. I'm gonna take it on the lake tomorrow, if everything else performs as it should, I'll just live with not having a temp.

To be honest, I can't say I'm certain we didn't damage the cable pulling it through. It didn't feel like we pulled hard enough to damage it, and in the areas where I was able to feel it as we routed it, I didn't feel any nicks or cuts. I would hate to pull it back, find out I damaged it, spend $150.00 on a new transducer (I doubt being a caveman is covered by the warranty  :-[ ) and then run the risk of damaging that one as well as I pull it through.
Thanks for your help Greg, I sincerely appreciate it,
v/r
Ozzy

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal