Author Topic: Upgrading to new release  (Read 10238 times)

Offline jamisonra

• Unit(s): 788ci, 898si Combo
Upgrading to new release
« on: March 31, 2011, 11:18:41 AM »
Can I update to a new release with the unit off the boat? I have a power supply that allows me to use the unit in Demo mode while at home.

If I insert the update files SD card into the unit and turn it on will it update to the new release?

Thanks for your help.

Offline FuzzyGrub

• Joe Fish
  • Unit(s): 999ci HD, 798ci HD, 597ci HD DI
  • Software: Latest
  • Accessories: TSW,
Re: Upgrading to new release
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 12:51:30 PM »
Yes.  I believe HB recommends inserting the SD chip after the unit is up and running.  That is the way I have done it for the last two releases, and had no issue.  Prior to that, use to insert SD and then power up.  I had no issues with that method either.  Mainly, just switched because of the recommendation. 
If it bends my rod, I'm a happy fisherman.

JohnS

http://joefishin.com/

Offline Enufzed

• Enufzed
  • Oh happy days !!
  • Unit(s): 898cx SI
  • Software: V 6.180
  • Accessories: SanDisk 8GB Extreme III SDHC 30mg
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 12:15:12 AM »
IMPORTANT Dont forget to reset to the default settings on the HB unit before and after new version update.
Old fishos never die: they just smell that way

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 11:21:45 AM »
That is really software dependant Geoff – but it doesn’t hurt to do it regardless of what version software you are running or going to (or back to as the case may be).  One point to consider when doing this off the boat is that you really need to do the menu reset with the unit either in the Normal operating mode or in the forced Simulator mode – not the Simulator mode that the unit will go into with just the power cable connected.  Otherwise the unit does not remember that the menus were reset and problems could ensue.

So if you are going to update your units off the boat:
#1 Make sure that you have a good power source for this.  If the power is interrupted, glitches or otherwise does not supply the voltage and current that the unit needs during the update: it may have to a trip back to the factory to be fixed.

#2 Make the unit into the ‘forced’ Simulator mode.  Do this by powering the unit on as you usually do but while it is still showing the title screen (shows something like: “Humminbird 1198c Si”); press the MENU button.  Let the screen change to show a few menu options and select “Simulator”.  The unit will time out and switch to the forced simulator mode and will remember any menu setting changes along with any changes to the Nav Data.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 11:38:18 AM »
Does Humminbird write the code or is it outsourced to another company?  I ask because of the number of problems in upgrading.
It does not seem like the code is tested completely..
Nor with the different configuration possibilities.
Chuck

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 11:48:15 AM »
Chuck,
It’s all written by Humminbird – JOI folks.
As for testing the code completely with all configurations: it’s gotten to be nigh impossible to do so with all of the potential menu combinations, accessories, linking to other units and such.  We do have a department for just this though and try to test it the best that we can, although we do miss some no-brainer things every now and than.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 11:56:48 AM »
Maybe it is time to step back and regroup.
We should be shipping code defect free and tested.
IBM sent defective code in the 80's and look what it cost them..
All this move forward in technology these days is not always a forward motion. 
I just think that a better job can be done in the name of quality and not money.
Thanks Greg.  maybe HB needs to make you a CEO.... ::)
Chuck

Offline FuzzyGrub

• Joe Fish
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 08:09:42 AM »
No such thing as defect free software, and as an ex-IBMer from the 80's, I'd say there was allot more at play than that, starting with their ego.   MS has made an empire out of s/w full of defects. ;)  by promising the next version, the next, ...

The following is my speculation only:
Anyway, I do feel that HB has made a big dependancy on all their units that will connect on the ethernet.   The implementation appears to be highly coupled and will require a magnitude more of testing than what they had previously.  That will mean longer delays between releases, with more beta testing, etc.  Resouces get focused on that vs new features.   Hope I'm wrong.

JohnS

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 09:24:01 AM »
Fuzzy, you have the focus.  Yes there was more than just code. 

Today, look at all the "stuff" that is dependent on "code" and the amount of problems with each release regardless of the product.

I think we try to get too much out too soon.  Maybe it is time to get back to beta testors with integrity.

Backk to the original post in this thread.  Upgrading needs to be taken with a grain of salt.  We should take time to researeh and plan fpor the upgrade.
What does the upgrade do? Do we need the upgrade? What else in in the upgrade and how will it affect us.

Might be nice to have a sub-topic in the forum on just upgraden info...
Chuck

Offline Moose1am

• Unit(s): 898c si
  • Software: 6.610
  • Accessories: SDHC 8 GB SanDisk Extreme III
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 08:16:50 AM »
I have not seen any beta testing or calls for beta testers from Hummingbird.  I guess all their testing is IN HOUSE?

I have the new 5.410 software for my 898C SI unit and found a bug already. Flashing screens when the sensitivity is set to "Auto" for the SI.   Switching from one screen to the next and back again can correct the flashing screens.  Using the view and exit keys switch forward and then back to the screen.  Or vise versa and the flashing screen will go away.  And I am told that if you use the settings for sensitivity other than "auto" then this is not a problem.

My boat has been out of commission due to a leak but I have that fixed now and am reading to go out and do some crappie fishing for spawning big fat crappie.   I love the spring time crappie run.

I also want to do some recordings and learn to do some more things with my unit using the software that's available.

I purchased the cables to connect my unit to my computer vis usb ports.  So I am ready to play around with is some more and to start using HumViewer.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 08:18:13 AM by Moose1am »
Regards,

Moose1am

Offline FuzzyGrub

• Joe Fish
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 10:37:16 AM »
I have not seen any beta testing or calls for beta testers from Hummingbird.  I guess all their testing is IN HOUSE?

I haven't seen beta releases that are available to the general public.  I have seen people indicate getting beta releases to help solve a problem they are having, prior to the formal release.   I think that is a good practice, and the user doesn't have to load it, if they don't want to risk it. 

I also believe some or all of the Pro-staff get S/W updates (beta?) before the general public.   I think it is mostly to test new features, but issues would be identified.   They are probably bound by a NDA and can not comment what they have encountered without permission from HB. 

JohnS

Offline ITGEEK

• Unit(s): 1198c -Team Watters SS - Lexerd SP
  • Software: 7.670
  • Accessories: XM Weather - Weathersense
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 12:59:29 PM »
As an IT person myself, here are some tips for HB to test out new software:
1) Develope some short sub-routines or MACROS for testing purposes.
2) Carefully test each sub-routine and document who tested it and when.
3) These smaller sub-routines can then be called/used for multiple tests by just passing different parameters to them.
4) When any test is run, it outputs a 1 or 0 to a file (1=pass, 0=fail).
4) Make a comprehensive set of standard tests to be performed on each and every new version of the software.
5) If any HB employee comes up with a new test, then test that test code thoroughly and add that test to the standard  list.
Depending on how many total tests, and how powerful the computers/servers are at HB, a complete test set may take a couple of days to fully run.
Only release the new software when every test output file shows a 1.

Also, each model of sonar may have a different test set, but some of them will use a lot of the same tests.
And that's how you do it.

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 02:04:41 PM »
Also develope and USE a beta test group from selected and approved users other than prostaffers.
. I dont think HB does this and if they do I dont think it is with any guidelines or control...

Sounds like an improvement area for HB...
Chuck
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 02:07:00 PM by sonar2000 »

Offline FuzzyGrub

• Joe Fish
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 04:05:35 PM »
As an IT person myself, here are some tips for HB to test out new software:
1) Develope some short sub-routines or MACROS for testing purposes.
2) Carefully test each sub-routine and document who tested it and when.
3) These smaller sub-routines can then be called/used for multiple tests by just passing different parameters to them.
4) When any test is run, it outputs a 1 or 0 to a file (1=pass, 0=fail).
4) Make a comprehensive set of standard tests to be performed on each and every new version of the software.
5) If any HB employee comes up with a new test, then test that test code thoroughly and add that test to the standard  list.
Depending on how many total tests, and how powerful the computers/servers are at HB, a complete test set may take a couple of days to fully run.
Only release the new software when every test output file shows a 1.

Also, each model of sonar may have a different test set, but some of them will use a lot of the same tests.
And that's how you do it.

My guess is they are already doing most of that to the extent possible.   They are softies and Unix geeks at that!   No way they would be doing all that manually.  :D   Testing embedded S/W on a very specific H/W suite is not as simple.   

Synchronizing to a sonar signal and simulating returns would require some very expensive equipment and allot of constant updates and changes.   I'd say that is unlikely HB has those types of simulators, but they probably has some simplier pass/fail tester. 

Automated tests are not the best for finding issues like what is described above.  ie something required to push button in a particular sequence (with pauses between) and to visually detect if the screen is flashing.   The S/W doesn't know there is a problem to set a bit, given the user was still able to change screens and "correct" it. 

The gps would also require a fairly significant test equipment to inject and over ride anything from the satalites.     

All in all, being an armchair software developer or tester (myself included) is probably much easier than what they actually have to deal with.  ;)   I am sure a couple of them will read and get a good laugh even if they can't publicly respond.

JohnS

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 06:06:41 PM »
Once again.......
Having a defined user test group would eliminate simulators. Test the equipment in the real world.
Users for test would be far less expensive than simulators and measuring probes.
I really think testing can be done better and less costly, especially in finding errors before the buyers have to pay and feel disappointed..........

Chuck

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo