Author Topic: Fish Arcs, chart speed and recording for Autochart. Lag?  (Read 2959 times)

Offline Conrad_Turbo

• Unit(s): 798SI HD
Fish Arcs, chart speed and recording for Autochart. Lag?
« on: July 05, 2016, 06:41:47 PM »
I have a 798CI SI HD (Version 7.680 software)  and have the Zeroline card in my fish finder at all times.  As soon as I'm in the water I'm always recording to the SD card for review later with Humviewer or to update the zeroline card with Autochart Pro.  Now the thing I am wondering is that I rarely see fish arc's, moreso just balls of what I assume are fish...so I want to speed up the chart speed and it doesn't seem to make much of a difference.  I am wondering if writing to the zero line card and reading from it (for the maps) is causing my 798 to lag with the chart display?  Has anyone else noticed this?

I use 200/83kHz sonar and side scan a lot...but I have noticed a lack of detail in the sidescan primarily and I'm wondering if it's because the chart speed is so slow that anything of interest is just being compressed and not really being noticed?

I won't be back out on the water till this weekend but wanted to get some feedback before I tried experimenting on the boat.  With no map or recording, with the map and no recording and then map and recording to the zeroline card and then ultimately using the map and recording to the second SD slot on a blank SD card.

Is the read/write speed of the zeroline card quite slow?

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
Re: Fish Arcs, chart speed and recording for Autochart. Lag?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 10:58:12 PM »
There have always been reports of the 700 series being a little lacking in processing power ...so it is possible that the mapping on your Zero Line card could be slowing some other processes down ...

Do you notice a difference without the Zero Line Card in the unit ... ??
-----

Now fish arches ... Unfortunately the Chart speed is global ...meaning the Chart speed is the same for 2d/DI and SI ...

This is an unfortunate conundrum ...because imaging needs a Chart speed to match boat speed ...conversely 2d needs a much faster Chart speed ...

And not to mention that fish arches are elusive anyway ...

Here is fish arch info ...

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.humminbird.com/Category/Support/FAQ/FishArches/&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwjm0N-cruDNAhUDdh4KHURSDEsQFggEMAA&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNE_PXOhZ5qQRIyQ2NUGZH81LcH9pw

Rickie
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 11:01:05 PM by rnvinc »

Offline Conrad_Turbo

• Unit(s): 798SI HD
Re: Fish Arcs, chart speed and recording for Autochart. Lag?
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 11:23:50 PM »
There have always been reports of the 700 series being a little lacking in processing power ...so it is possible that the mapping on your Zero Line card could be slowing some other processes down ...

Do you notice a difference without the Zero Line Card in the unit ... ??
-----

Now fish arches ... Unfortunately the Chart speed is global ...meaning the Chart speed is the same for 2d/DI and SI ...

This is an unfortunate conundrum ...because imaging needs a Chart speed to match boat speed ...conversely 2d needs a much faster Chart speed ...

And not to mention that fish arches are elusive anyway ...

Here is fish arch info ...

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.humminbird.com/Category/Support/FAQ/FishArches/&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwjm0N-cruDNAhUDdh4KHURSDEsQFggEMAA&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNE_PXOhZ5qQRIyQ2NUGZH81LcH9pw

Rickie

I am hoping it's a read/write being the roadblock here and not the processing power of the unit.  If that's the case then Autochart is of little value to me if I have to shut it off to actually get use out of my fish finder.  Brutal.

I got my 798 early 2014 and got the Autochart card mid 2014 and have just noticed the lack of quality of finding fish or with side scan.  Going back over my recordings I could see they were really quite good before I began using Autochart and it almost seems to be progressively getting worse, to the point now I only see slivers of strong returns...which is what got me thinking about chart speed being too low.  Matching chart speed to boat speed is just making sure you're not overly stretching or compressing what's being scanned.  However I'd fall asleep if I had it on 2 when I was trolling at 2mph...although when I crank it up I honestly didn't notice much of a difference.  I watch tons of youtube videos of Autochart tutorials and watch them crank up the chart speed and it's noticeable faster, mine isn't like that at all.

It also makes sense with my side scanning as it just looks like featureless garbage now, because if you'r running at a very low chart speed and moving quickly that's what it'd look like.  I think Autochart and/or recording is bringing my 798 to it's knees....

I have a feeling my chart speed is running at 1 or 0.5 (even if I crank it up to 10) and if I shut off the maps the chart speed will pick up and then I can start to get good side scanning and 2D sonar.  That really sucks if that's the case!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo