Author Topic: Navionics Corrupt? (video)  (Read 10877 times)

Offline Jay415

• Unit(s): 1198c SI, 998c SI, 385ci DI
Navionics Corrupt? (video)
« on: February 07, 2014, 03:50:53 PM »
I'm having a really annoying problem and the same thing happens when the chip is in my 998 or my 1198. I am guessing that my navionics data is corrupt, but I have updated it multiple times and it has not fix it. At certain scales the chart is fine and others data is missing and the land is jagged. for example .25sm scale has no data and land looks jagged then I zoom in to 1000ft or 500ft or even zoom out and everything is fine. This video shows the problem and I am in the .25sm scale. All I am doing is moving the cursor left and right. and the problem comes and goes. If you notice though, the cursor is on a map border so it is probably reading from 2 different files as I move the cursor left and right. How do I fix this?

Corrupt navionics map

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: Navionics Corrupt? (video)
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 02:26:23 PM »
I would see if anyone else has that same year model and make of mapping card and have them try it at the same coordinates.  It may not help you get rid of your problem but it will show if there is a problem with the cards/mapping data.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline Jay415

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 08:22:29 AM »
I would see if anyone else has that same year model and make of mapping card and have them try it at the same coordinates.  It may not help you get rid of your problem but it will show if there is a problem with the cards/mapping data.

That's a great idea! If anyone could help me out with that, I'd appreciate it!
I have Navionics Hot Maps Platinum East. I think it's the 2012 version. Recently updated (daily, trying to fix it, lol)
Couldn't hurt if someone who uses Freshest update to test it also. Thanks in advance!
Area in question is at the 0.25sm scale and is around 40°37.197 N, 73°29.826 W.
Near Stone Creek, Goose Creek, Green Island.
Here's a pic of my card.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 08:47:57 AM by Jay415 »

Offline freezerfiller

• Unit(s): 998c SI
  • Software: ??
  • Accessories: Ipilot link
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 09:40:48 AM »
If it's happening in both of your machines, than I'd have to say it's a glitch in the map data.  BTW, posting that video really helps see the problem.  I can't imagine trying to describe that in a paragraph!  Does it do it in other locations, or at other scales?

Offline Jay415

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 11:43:34 AM »
If it's happening in both of your machines, than I'd have to say it's a glitch in the map data.  BTW, posting that video really helps see the problem.  I can't imagine trying to describe that in a paragraph!  Does it do it in other locations, or at other scales?
Yea I figured it was definitely with the map data. But I guess the question is, is it corrupt and can be fixed or is it an issue that navionics missed with submitting the maps for download? I thought if it was corrupt, that it would be fixed by doing an update. Maybe I'm chasing a problem that navionics has to fix.

Zoomed in further its fine. Zoomed out 1 step (don't know the scale offhand) it gets better but not like the rest of the maps. Zoom out more and it's fine again.

I'm planning on calling navionics when I get a chance, but as you stated, explaining this is going to be fun!!! Lol

Offline newkid4si

• Unit(s): 998c si
  • Software: v 5.70
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 11:57:07 PM »
When you get someone on the phone, ask if you can email a link to this page so they can watch the video. Nothing to lose.

Offline Jay415

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 10:17:07 AM »
I am emailing back and forth with a navionics rep so I sent him a link to this thread, a link to the video and other information he requested. I will update when I have a resolution to the problem.

Offline Jay415

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 08:10:00 AM »
I finally got a response and even though this is happening on 2 different humminbird units running different software versions and they can reproduce the problem, they are still blaming HB software. I don't get how it's a HB software problem if it reads other parts of the chart fine. Obviously there's a problem with the file that controls that part of the map since it's the only part of the chart it happens on. They are still investigating it, so hopefully they'll fix it. Their find would make sense if it happened everywhere in the .25 scale.

Here's the email response:
Dear Jason,

this is to inform you that your case has been assigned to Technical Support.

We have been able to reproduce the issue you are experiencing with your Humminbird and Hot maps Platinum East  MSD/HMPT-E6

Even if we are still investigating, what you are facing it seems more likely related to the SW of your Humminbird units which is not able to manage the dataset in a proper manner.
Same chart in other units works properly.

Neverthless, we have escalated to our Engineering Dept for further check and we will provide a feedback as soon as the investigation will be completed, hopefully by the end of next week.

Thank you

Best regards

Navionics Technical Support
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 08:12:15 AM by Jay415 »

Offline Jay415

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 10:00:56 AM »
I finally got a new reply from Navionics and apparently they found an issue with Humminbird software and have been in contact with Humminbird engineering dept. Hopefully they fix it. Here's a copy of the email.

Dear Jason,

first of all we would like to express our sincere apologize for the late of our reply.

During this time your case has been investigate from engineering point of view involving also the engineering dept of Humminbird that few days ago confirmed us that the problem is related to a SW issue of the Humminbird products.

They have logged this issue as bug and they have elevate it in order to fix it as soon as possible.
On the light of that we would suggest you to get in touch with Humminbird that will be able to provide you additional details about the plan of the sw release that will get your issue fixed.

Best Regards

Navionics Technical Support

Offline hays47

• Unit(s): 1198C , 899C , 360 vision
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 03:03:32 PM »
This kinda reminds me of the old days in computers. Trying to keep large networks running. When a problem popped up the software design people would blame the hardware. Upon contacting the hardware companies they would immediately blame the software.

This kinda left us techs and consumers stuck in the middle of it all. I remember trying to load Windows on a brand new computer. Consumer wanted a special video card. After several attempts Windows ( 98 second edition at the time ) it would just crash and abort installation. Finally in desperation tried a different video card and Windows installed just fine.  Never could figure out why but never wasted that amount of time again on " jinxed " configuration.

Hopefully Navionics and Humminbird solve your problem in the near future.

Offline MTBob

• MTBob
  • Unit(s): HB 998c
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 10:41:04 AM »
"They have logged this issue as bug and they have elevate it in order to fix it as soon as possible.
On the light of that we would suggest you to get in touch with Humminbird that will be able to provide you additional details about the plan of the sw release that will get your issue fixed."

This is exactly the kind of 1980's finger pointing nonsense that drives consumers to purchase other products - and may eventually lead to the demise of Navionics.  Navionics products are a supplement to HBs products and thus it is Navionics responsibility to figure out what is wrong and make their system work.  AND, more important, it's not the customer's responsibility to figure out who or what is wrong.  In my opinion this issue is a symptomatic of a poorly run company with a very ineffective customer service department.  In today's world of global customer open communication, Navionics needs to wake up and become more customer focused.  I say all this because I really like the Navionics maps and want to see the company succeed. 
Bob

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo