Author Topic: Black Screen, but full audio  (Read 3336 times)

Offline ScottSp

• Law Offices of Scott W. Spradley
  • Unit(s): 798ci HD SI
Black Screen, but full audio
« on: August 24, 2014, 06:53:09 PM »
Greetings. I suppose these 2 issues will be for Greg and here goes: I have the 798ci si HD, which I purchased 3 years ago and which I used a few times before parking my Trident Ultra 4.7 kayak for quite a while as I had complicated personal business going on. :o Now, 2 years later, I am ready to get the kayak back out and do some fishing. The problem is that when I power up the unit (and yes, I have a new, fully charged battery), the screen is exceedingly dim, if I can see anything at all. But the unit is going through the power cycle as I hear the audio working fine, even though I can't see anything. Also, when I tap the unit (actually a firm slap of the open palm) on the side, I see a flash of full color display, which immediately then disappears back to near dark if not all dark, until I slap it again, and it appears again for an instant, then disappears and so on. So I need some help with that issue, please.

Second issue, I went to the Humminbird website to do an update and I see where my unit is discontinued. Oh well. The issue arose when I was in line to update the 798 software,  and I received a list of what the update will correct, followed by a warning NOT to update the software if I have the Humminbird Weather Unit--which I do. So now what? I need an update, which I can't obtain without losing the capability of the Weather Unit, which I use and paid good money for?

I am obviously stuck for the time being with no visible screen, and with a conflict of whether to update software or save my Weather Unit, and wouild therefore appreciate any advice that is offered.

Thanks in advance.

Scott

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: Black Screen, but full audio
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 01:57:44 PM »
Scott,
If you don’t have a visible screen on the unit; you won’t be able to update the software.  Your only options are to either send the unit in to be looked at by the Techs or to replace the unit.  If you do decide to send it in, make sure and tell the Humminbird Customer resource Rep that you speak with to note in the computer to NOT update the software since you have a WeatherSense module.  Otherwise the software in the unit is normally updated when it goes through the Service department.  I would also write a note stating the same and tape it across the screen of the unit as well.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline ScottSp

• Law Offices of Scott W. Spradley
  • Unit(s): 798ci HD SI
Re: Black Screen, but full audio
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 02:48:54 PM »
Thank you Greg.  I will call Humminbird, speak with the rep, and will let you know what happens.

Thanks again.
Scott

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo