Author Topic: No gps antenna connected:798ci Hd Side imaging w/Internal gps antenna???????  (Read 5075 times)

Offline wolfman111471

• All day long
  • Unit(s): 798ci SI HD,
  • Software: 6.250
 let me paint a picture of what happen and what was at stake!!! I just towed my 24 ft sport fish 980 mi from central ny to  Merrels inlet South Carolina for once a year offshore 10 day fishing dream vacation. I get my boat in the water and all is great. Bad weather first day so I kept within 25 mi offshore but but gps is working with my naivonics cards great. The second day I get to marina start my fish finder and no gps on screen? I go to internal test screens and it says no gps antenna connected.??? It is internal antenna!!! I am screwed I have charts and compass but really I neeeed my Gps for trip... Offshore planning, locations to fish and most important fuel monitoring. so to make a long story short, I tried everything imaginable to reboot, test, restart, remove cards, reduced to slapping, shaking unit, pleading w/it and no sign of gps software on unit. The gps tab wouldn't even come up on screen. Ruined my trip not an extra 900.00 to buy new on the spot. I spent my 10 days in paradise close to shore no gps catching 12 in inshore fish, boat set up for offshore dream fish.... I get home and while gathering info to send unit back to hummingbird i popped my unit back on boat At home in New York to get software version number and GPS is now working......excuse my language but WTF is going on. Anybody had similar experience??? any techs out there with any advise??? my software version is 6.250 does it need an update for the gps to work right. This is my second 798 the first had issues also that could not be resolved so they sent me a brand new unit after two returns, I have 149 hrs on unit and it is kept in a padded case w not in use indoors. Only thing connected to it is VHF for distress coordinates  and of course transducer. Pissed and confused is a light statement.  I need answers or I will loose all confidence in hummingbird product line.
Fishing is priceless , bk big fish $4.00

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Can you tell us what problems you were having with the previous 798 unit?  These may or may not be related.

Did you happen to try the 798 unit without the VHF Radio connected to it?

Sometimes a low power issue can cause GPS problems.  Can you make sure that all electrical connections from the unit back to the battery it is powered from are all clean and tight?  Don’t forget the fuse, fuse holder and battery connections.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline wolfman111471

• All day long
My previous 798 was on a different boat but there was issues with no speed and placement of boat on map. The boat was aprox 300 ft  off the actual track on the map it would show me boating on land next to the river. I have since bought a newer boat and put the unit on it 1 yr ago I have ck,d all connections and voltages. All are pristine and tight all with shrink seal fittings. I just tested voltage at head is 11.6v per screen. At batteries I got 12.3. I do have a resettable 3 amp inline thermal breaker in the power supply to the head for protection, could this be an issue, not having a solid fuse. What is min voltage requirement and what type of amp draw is typically normal at the head. I will say I didn't,t do any secondary charging of my batteries while at the marina on vacation. I did put batteries on charge when I returned, the gps now works . You may have it ? Sorry yes I did unplug VHF and it didn't,t make a difference
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 09:32:34 PM by wolfman111471 »

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
If all of the other electrical connections are good, than it could be the in-line thermal breaker causing the voltage drop.  I would not expect to see that kind of a voltage drop from the battery to the unit.  A poor electrical connection can cause this as can too small of a wire gauge used between the unit’s power cable and the battery it is powered from.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline wolfman111471

• All day long
Thanks, I'm suspecting the thermal breaker for voltage drop, the wire is 12 gauge at  length of aprox 15 ft. I,m going to tripple ck all connection points + test, also install a normal fuse. thanks again for the help I will keep ya posted with what i find.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo