Author Topic: GPS external antena placement  (Read 9192 times)

Offline MarioFisherman

• FatherWalleye
  • Unit(s): 898 SI Combo
  • Software: 5.7 and 6.610
  • Accessories: I pilot link,
GPS external antena placement
« on: April 11, 2013, 04:37:46 PM »
Greetings to everyone,

Finally I got a loan and I'm picking up a new boat at the end of April - 2013 Crestliner 1750 Super Hawk with 2013 Evinrude ETec 130 and 80 Terrova with I-Pilot and Universal Sonar 2.

For the first time HB 898c SI Combo will be installed on it. I got this unit as a Christmas gift 2 years ago and never used it on the water. Just playing and watching you tub videos and reading some articles and postings on this Forum. This year I'm getting serious about it. Looking forward to catch more Big-Eyes. This winter on Jan 22 I caught 13LB/82cm/32.3" walleye under the ice. The post is attached to this message.

ila_rendered

I spoke with some of my former parishioners who have a Humminbird SI units re: placement of the GPS external antenna.

At the Regina Marina where I bought a boat they informed me that usually the install it on the dash.
Friend of my told me: don't do that and don't drill the holes.  Place the pack on the wooden board and you can move where you want to.

I need you pros advice what is the best place- permanent place or movable?

In my opinion you want to record your tracks and other info relates to images on HB or form I pilot link. Should not be in between those 2 units at least? You want to have better accuracy - I would think put the GPS pack in on spot. Where? Any advice, please?

Thank you and God bless you

With prayers
Fr. Mariusz "Father Walleye"
Remember a famous fishing tip: "Praying and Jigging"

Offline 4d-rock

• Unit(s): 997c SI, 778c, 570
  • Software: 6.30
Re: GPS external antena placement
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 05:37:05 PM »
Best location for the external antenna would be as close as you can get it to the transducer as that is the point of reference for what your fish finder sees. 

Nice fish!

Offline MarioFisherman

• FatherWalleye
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 07:25:10 PM »
4d-rock, Thank you for your suggestion. I heard that concern of keeping the GPS puck as close as is possible to the transducer.

My situation should be different due to Minn Kotta I pilot link. As I am aware, both units are talking to each other and Trolling motor has a own Gps build in transducer. If I do choose do not use HB 898, I can still save a viewpoints and use I pilot to go wherever I want.

Does anyone have a I pilot link trolling motor and have a similar concern and a word of advice? Thank you

Offline MTBob

• MTBob
  • Unit(s): HB 998c
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 07:54:35 PM »
I thought a long while before locating my GPS.  Like others have said here, I tried to keep it near the SI transducer.  I decided to mount mine on the rear gunwale using velcro.  That way I can move it off the top area to a more protected location when it's not in use.  Scroll to the bottom of this posting and you can see the way I did it.  Since I've never used a GPS, I wanted the flexibility of seeing how it works and whether it's likely to get whacked.  If it works OK in this position, eventually I may screw it down.
http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?topic=5286.msg33152#msg33152
Bob

Offline MarioFisherman

• FatherWalleye
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 11:39:00 PM »
Bob,
Thank you so much for this link. A lot of good suggestions. This is well thought project of placing a transducer on a plastic board. I like your idea of mounting on extra aluminum plate so you can experiment moving it up and down.

I think, instead of letting Regina Marine to install the transducer, I have a lot of tools to make it myself. On this forum there is so much detail info of how and where to place the transducer and the GPS puck. Thank you all

with prayers
Fr. Mariusz "Father Walleye"

Offline MarioFisherman

• FatherWalleye
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 01:48:02 AM »
I talked to Regina Marine, Regina, SK re: the place of GPS puck and the transducer

They told me that they  have on stoke an extra mounting board (not that expensive). Re: GPS puck they will put as close is possible to the transducer. I made the deal at the time of purchase that all installations will be done with no charge to me.

Here is another link to a similar and a good posting from more than a year ago:

http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?topic=3820.0

Enjoy it. God bless you

with prayers
Fr. Mariusz "Father Walleye" :)

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 12:58:22 PM »
I think that you will be happier with the results with the 898’s GPS Receiver mounted as close over the 898’s transducer as they can get it.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline MarioFisherman

• FatherWalleye
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 02:37:32 AM »
Greg,

THANK YOU SO MUCH for your advice. At Regina Marine in Regina, SK they told me that on the starport side the is a swimming ladder and they concern that would be knocked off or damaged. I asked them to figure this out and passed them your advice.
Hopefully they will find the spot.

I got 2013 Crestliner 1750 Super Hawk with 130 Evenrude Etec. Any word of advice where to place it on that boat?

Thank you again and God bless you

with prayers

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 02:53:52 PM »
Not without some pictures of the boat Father.

If there is a swimming ladder on the starboard side why not mount the transducer and GPS Receiver on the port side?  As long as the cables will reach this should work fine.

Offline MarioFisherman

• FatherWalleye
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 03:20:50 AM »
Greg,

I want some day to put a kicker motor on the port side. Even thou at Honda Marine in Melfort, SK a dealer told me to get to used to 80 Terrova Minn kota I pilot link before I purchase a kicker 9.9Hp and spend an extra money. He said that I don't need it. We shall see.
 Here is the reply from Regina Marine, Regina, SK to my request of keeping GPS puck as close is possible to the HB transducer ( per yours and other members of this SI forum):

Father Walleye,

We will mount the puck on the Starboard (right hand side) on the transom as close to the transducer as possible. This will be a custom install. Anytime custom installation is requested the results may or may not be 100% desirable. We will do our best to meet your request.

Once it is mounted in a custom location, it will not be changed. These are the risks associated with "experimenting" with the installation of components.

I feel like been between the hummer and "kowadlo" - in polish. One of my parishioners delivered today to Regina Marine my HB 898c SI Combo to be installed instead the very simple and basic one they sell with the boat.

I asked them to do their best to place as close is possible to each other. I don't have any other choice only trust that they find a safe spot on the Starboard side. I don't know if I have any other option. They promise to installed my unit for free. I don't want to be to picky. But I like your advice Greg and other on the SI Forum to have as close as possible the GPS puck to the transducer. That make sense to me, too.

Thank you for your help. I posted a very good link on General Forum re: I pilot link and HB SI unit in action "I pilot link - Dr. Jason Halfen Guide and Teaching Pro". Enjoy it.

God bless you and have a good night. Time to go to bed. I like read and surf on the Forum for more info but it is to late now..
Good night.

with prayers

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 10:47:09 AM »
Wow, they’ve got me worried about what they are planning on doing with their “custom install” and “the results may or may not be 100% desirable” comments…  ???

Many do-it-yourselfers install these every day Fr. Walleye, so it is not that hard to do.  It is easy to test for as you can power the unit up with the GPS Receiver laying where you want to install it and see whether it will work or not.  It’s not rakieta science here (hope Google translated that correctly): the GPS Receiver is either near the transducer or it isn’t and it can either track the satellites or it doesn’t.

Offline MarioFisherman

• FatherWalleye
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 02:16:24 PM »
Greg,

Thank you so much for your wise advice. I just talked to Regina Marine person I dealt with and asked him, as per your advice, to do not install the GPS puck permanently and let me find the place for it and then - as Bob also suggested - eventually mounted it for good.

They say that they want their costumers to be happy and they were OK to accommodate my request. When I'll pick my boat up at the end of this month. I'll take the snap shots of the transom and post it on our HB forum for your advice.
THANK YOU SO MUCH for your help and I'm looking forward to share the pix of BIG EYEs when the ice will be gone at Tobin Lake, SK.
A great lake for trophy walleye, pike and lately sturgeon (only catch and release).

God bless you

with prayers
Fr. Mariusz "Father Walleye"  :)

Offline MarioFisherman

• FatherWalleye
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 03:19:47 AM »
After picking my new boat up on Tuesday at Regina Marine, Regina, SK, I'll post the pictures of a transom asking for your advice where to place GPS puck on my boat. Have a good night and God bless you

with prayers

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo