Author Topic: 788ci hd combo  (Read 4887 times)

Offline panth41

• Unit(s): 788ci hd
  • Software: up to date
788ci hd combo
« on: July 10, 2014, 10:31:02 AM »
Hello all, I am hoping to get some advise and a possible resolution for a unit that from install has never worked properly.  Well it might have for a handful of trips, but never a reliable unit.  It is a 788ci hd combo.  I have tried two transducers the transom mount it came with and a thru hull.  Same issues with both.  The latest issues are the following,: Gps signal is about 50yards off the mark.  I noticed it coming in Government cut from a nite trip two nights ago.  If i didn't know the area and followed the gps i would have ended up on the beach.   Then it brought me within less than 5 ft of a channel marker on the route through the inter coastal. This is a new problem. before i could navigate using my past tracks and be right where I needed to be. I can't use the boat at night with this unit like this. Any suggestions?

The depth reading has never been consistent.  Sometimes it will read down to 300' with great detail.  Other times it won't read below 25'.  Almost always works when I'm catching bait in 7' to 15' ft. 

At one point the unit was freezing on a certain view.  I was told to get rid of corrupt waypoints.  I did and the unit worked for one trip. Then started freezing up again. I removed the sd card and it stopped freezing.  So I formatted the card and put it in and that seamed to fix the freezing issue.
But I'm not reading over 25' and the gps is way off so the unit is not usable.  Can anyone tell me what my options are.

The kicker is I have a trip to the keys planned on the 19th of this month and can not go without GPS. So if I have to replace the unit What other brands should I look at?  I think I should have paid a little more and gone with a better unit to start.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: 788ci hd combo
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 11:41:11 AM »
Welcome to the Humminbird Side Imaging Forums panth41.

On the GPS being 50 yards off: are these the actual coordinates that are off or is this what the map is showing that is off?  If this is the map you should be able to use the Map Offset menu to correct it.
When the unit is running go to the GPS Diagnostic View and tell us what is shown for the Fix Type, HDOP and Estimated Position Error numbers.

For the depth readings being wrong: does this only happen when some other piece of electronic equipment is running or when the main motor is running?
Make sure that the unit has a good electrical connection to the battery.  No loose or corroded connections anywhere, so be sure to check all connections including the fuse, fuse holder and the battery contacts.

When you got rid of the corrupt waypoints did you use the Format Nav Directories menu? If not, this a good thing to do as it will clear all of the data more thoroughly.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline panth41

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 10:00:35 PM »
Hi, sorry for the delay in responding,  I have been rewiring the boat. When you told me to check for corroded wires, I did and I found almost everything needed to be replaced. Finished tonight and will launch in the morning.  Hope that is the source of the issue.
I could not find the  Format Nav Directories in the menu.  Please let me know where to look. 
I will take a look at the GPS diagnostic view and let you know what I find there as well.

Again Thanks for the help

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 10:38:59 AM »
panth41,
The Format Nav Directories menu is under the Setup menu tab.  You should not have to be in the Advanced User Mode menu setting to see it.
What version software are you running in that 788ci HD unit?

Offline panth41

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 12:10:45 PM »

Offline panth41

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 12:16:20 PM »
I can't find it anywhere in my menu

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 12:52:35 PM »
Your software is two+ years old and I know they added the Format Nav Directories menu since then (in the 6.420 version I think…).  So to do this you would have to update your 788ci HD unit to the current software version in your My Humminbird account on the Humminbird web site.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo