Author Topic: If you were to do it all over again - Autochart? Fish finder brand?  (Read 10716 times)

Offline Conrad_Turbo

• Unit(s): 798SI HD
If you had a budget of $2000-3000USD, and could start over with a fish finder what would you choose?  I have been using my 798CI HD SI for a few years now and am developing an automated contour mapping drone boat that will allow me to map lake bottoms with gridded/GPS accuracy to build high quality maps.  However I am looking at all options now, Lowrance, Humminbird, Garmin etc...

I like the use of Autochart Pro, but the data I am loading into it will be nil compared to what I load from these drone boats I plan on building and deploying.  My concern is the lack of memory errors that come up from Autochart Pro, my computer has 8 gigs of ram and can handle 3D models in SolidWworks no problem...so I am wondering if it's just a poorly coded software as I have lots of free ram when using Autochart Pro.  I need to be able to overlay sidescan data with 1:32 image resolution as well as build contour maps.  I can always reduce resolution size or make the map smaller, however I am going to be doing acres of mapping at a time and need software that will work...my questions are:

1. Is Reefmaster any better than Autochart Pro?  Can it work with Sidescan data at the highest quality possible?  Does it have the shoreline of the existing lake?  It works to build the initial map, however I would be tracing out google earth shoreline for a more accurate shoreline in the long run.
2. How is the quality of the SI imaging of Lowrance vs Humminbird or other companies out there right now?
3. What other fish finder has quality software for building contour maps or overlaying side scan data?
4. What amount of ram is necessary to map 1/32 image resolution at a map size of 7000m x 7000m? "You do not have enough memory for the current resolution setting.  Please reduce the sidescan resolution, or the size of the internal map."

I am going to mapping huge bodies of water and reducing the map size and having to overlay data won't be acceptable in my application.  The boat will be running 150' parallel passes at 3-15mph depending on the process being performed.

Offline D S

• Unit(s): 1198 ,798hd , ipilot link and 360tm
  • Software: 7.5
  • Accessories: HDSI reefmaster Dr Depth autocharts pro
Re: If you were to do it all over again - Autochart? Fish finder brand?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 11:59:38 AM »
Conrad, I run both software and prefer RM.
Auto charts is good for 2d maps but I agree has issues with amount of ram/processor load to process maps
I have 16gb ram and 2 dell xenon processors and occasionally have memory  issues.
its a whole different animal with producing maps with Rm and the IMC plugin you can input large volumes of data tell it to calculate a map and walk away leaving the imc to do the work ( I once digitaized an old paper map of our local waterbody to a raster to overlay on HDS9 it took almost a full day to complete running in background on pc but now have a raster image down to 1/32)
Ps I don't do much with sidesan so cant comment on that
I would suggest going to the Rm forum and asking Matt your specific questions/issues he is very helpful
DS
stgr

Offline Conrad_Turbo

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 01:29:36 PM »
Conrad, I run both software and prefer RM.
Auto charts is good for 2d maps but I agree has issues with amount of ram/processor load to process maps
I have 16gb ram and 2 dell xenon processors and occasionally have memory  issues.
its a whole different animal with producing maps with Rm and the IMC plugin you can input large volumes of data tell it to calculate a map and walk away leaving the imc to do the work ( I once digitaized an old paper map of our local waterbody to a raster to overlay on HDS9 it took almost a full day to complete running in background on pc but now have a raster image down to 1/32)
Ps I don't do much with sidesan so cant comment on that
I would suggest going to the Rm forum and asking Matt your specific questions/issues he is very helpful
DS

I just installed the demo and loaded a bunch of my Hummingbird data...my jaw has hit the floor in about 15 minutes of use and after watching this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQnN4Ov5Ndg

The KML Super-overlay is exactly what I am looking for, wow is that ever amazing.  And the fact that you can edit the width of sidescan data among many other things...wow...

What is the IMC plugin you referring to?  I am fine with a computer doing heavy computing for hours on end, I'd rather a hardware limitation just make the process take longer than not happen at all.  lol.

Offline Gimp

• Unit(s): 998 HD SI
  • Accessories: i-Pilot Link
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 03:54:23 PM »
If I had $3000 and could do it all over again, yup, it would be Lowrance and RM with a Motorguide Trolling motor. I run RM and love it for large maps and heavy data load. The renderings are gorgeous. Lowrance takes them nicely as does my Garmin Handheld. I'm updating hardware as the budget allows with a new PC and then a new finder and trolling motor cme next. It will take a couple of years.

I learned a lot using my Humminbirds and they were NOT junk. They just don't fill my needs.

Offline Conrad_Turbo

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 12:34:35 PM »
If I had $3000 and could do it all over again, yup, it would be Lowrance and RM with a Motorguide Trolling motor. I run RM and love it for large maps and heavy data load. The renderings are gorgeous. Lowrance takes them nicely as does my Garmin Handheld. I'm updating hardware as the budget allows with a new PC and then a new finder and trolling motor cme next. It will take a couple of years.

I learned a lot using my Humminbirds and they were NOT junk. They just don't fill my needs.

I agree!  My 798CI HD SI has opened my eyes up to the technology out there, but now I'm just wanting more...  Now when I bought the 798CI HD SI it was the cheapest fish finder on the market (at the time) to have side scan and mapping ability.  Now most any fish finder can record depth and GPS location without a problem, so map generation is not a brand dependant factor, especially now...  I think it comes down to Side Scan technology.  I wonder what the best quality side scan transducer is with the cheapest head unit just simply for recording the data.  It could be a 2" screen for all I care.  Haha.

I wonder if Humminbird or Lowrance have demo units as I'd be buying a pile of them if one outperformed the other.

Offline Nitro78

• French frog
  • French frog!
  • Unit(s): Solix mega
  • Accessories: TM265 LH + 2 side imagin transdeucer an
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 05:06:43 AM »
I préfère RM tout autochart,  but for side scaning notaire il better than New humminbird MEGA and 455/800 CHIRP side, résolution is fantastic !
Son for best results humminbird helix g2 or if YouTube candidature à solix(better)  with RM!

Offline fishreed

• fishreed
  • Unit(s): 899CI SI HD,1199SI HD, Helix 12 SI GEN3
  • Software: current
  • Accessories: ALL, and a HW ducer for the Helix 12 2D
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 09:48:21 PM »
Always remember one thing about side scanning guys. Lowrance was caught stealing the SI scanning technology from Humminbird as that  was decided in federal court with huge fine. If you want to deal with the Lowrance  thieves, I suggest you leave this Humminbird website and go kiss Lowrance's thieving butt elsewhere!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo