Author Topic: My Top 10 798ci SI Combo Qs on AS SIDB Y vs TS3 w/ XTM 9 HDSI 18 T & XP 9 20T  (Read 4684 times)

Offline Philip Brown

• Unit(s): 798ci HD SI Combo (replaced 798ci SI)
  • Software: ?
  • Accessories: 2nd xducer aimed through hull &Y split
I've searched the forums, but am still a little confused.

I have a  798ci SI Combo, and it's hooked up like this:

ila_rendered

( source: http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?action=media;sa=media;in=218 )

I'm using the XTM 9 HDSI 180 T transducer near the transom on a custom made bracket mounted to my jacking plate.

I also have the XP 9 20 T "puck" transducer epoxied inside my hull with the temp probe mounted in the water on the transom.

After reading many posts for well over 8 hrs, I've learned a ton, but I'm still unclear on several points, and I hope that some of the more seasoned pro's will be kind enough to take the time to straighten me out!   ;)

Without further ado, here are my TOP TEN QUESTIONS about using the 798ci SI Combo with two transducers and the latest software!
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Q1 - Using the setup as indicated with the AS SIDB Y cable, are there any draw backs (cons) vs using a transducer switch to change between
        the two transducers.   (see http://www.humminbird.com/Products/TS3/ for the switch ) ?

Here's what I believe...  (Please correct if I am wrong) 
             --Without a Y cable, the side imaging transducer also uses 83khz & 200 khz  to produce 2D sonar images below the boat.
             -- With the AS SIDB Y cable, the ONLY difference is that the 83khz & 200 khz 2D sonar will come out of the puck transducer instead of the side-imaging one.
             (I understand that the shoot-thru-hull puck transducer is to give me depth readings at high speed... and it works well, BTW)

So if I use the Y cable with the shoot-thru puck transducer will I see any decrease in the features or  performance of the system?
(I'm talking practical differences that I would be able to discern.  Not extremely minute technical differences that most people would never notice).

Q2 -- I have upgraded the firmware on my 798ci SI combo, so when I'm using the XTM 9 HDSI 180 T transducer directly connected to my head unit,
         I have access to the down-imaging features of the unit.
        Using the Y cable, will I  still have ALL of the features, including the down-imaging, and will the quality be the same -- (or maybe even better)?

Q3 -- The  XTM 9 HDSI 180 T transducer supports two frequencies for Side Imaging  (455khz & 800 khz).
         Can my  my unit -- the 798ci SI Combo --use or benefit from the 800 khz signal available in the side imaging transducer I purchased?

Q4 -- Which transducer do I select in the menu system on my Head Unit?
         I don't  see a choice for the transducers that I'm using, and I'm not clear if the "correct" transducer selection would change if I use the "Y" cable and add
        the puck transducer.

Q5 -- If I decide to use the TS3 switch instead of the Y cable, will I need to change the transducer settings in the menu on my unit when I toggle the switch
         to change between the puck transducer and the side-imaging transducer?

Q6 -- I am aware that one drawback of using the TS3 switch is when I select the puck transducer, I won't have access to side imaging.
        Will I also lose down-imaging when I select the Puck using the TS3 switch ?  (using the switch instead of using the Y cable ).

Q7 -- Is there ANY BENEFIT at all to using the TS3 switch for my system?

Q8 -- Can my system utilize the autochart and/or autochart pro features if I purchase the software and SD card?

Q9 -- Will Autochart work for the tidal Potomac river in Washington DC and the creeks and tributaries connected to it?
        I'm aware that many lakes are included, but I'm unclear  about use on the Potomac.

Q10 -- Chart Upgrades --  Is there a discounted UPGRADE price to get the latest Navionics maps and features, and if so what benefit, if any, will I get from the upgrade?
         A few years ago I purchased the Navionics SD chart for the coastal US (the version that is compatible with my head unit).

I know these are a lot of questions... which I guess shows just how confused I am  :o   .

I would be happy to break these questions up into three or so separate posts with more closely related questions if that would be useful or advisable -- moderators
and more seasoned users, please let me know if that would be helpful.

Greg & Everyone, thank you so much for the information that you regularly share.  While my questions have been touched on in some ways in some of the threads
I have read, after more than 8 hrs of searching and reading I am still very much confused as to some of the finer points, particularly when you  factor in my head-unit (the 798 ci SI combo) which doesn't have ethernet or some of the fancier features of the higher-end units.

Sincerely,

-Philip
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 02:39:38 PM by Philip Brown »

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Phillip,
Q1 – Correct on all accounts.  With the AS-Si-DB-Y cable the 200/83kHz 2D sonar is hardwired to the puck transducer (there is no 200/83kHz 2D sonar signal going to or from the 2D portion of the HDSi transducer).  When using the TS2 switch, you chose which transducer the unit is electrically connected to.

With a good installation you should not notice a difference in the 2D sonar from either the puck or the HDSi transducer.

Q2 – Yes you will still have the same featutres and performance from the Si sonar (which is used to make the Di sonar in the 798 units).  So you should not notice any differences in the Si or Di sonar.

Q3 – No, the 798 units do not have the electrical circuitry to use the 800kHz frequency.  Both the unit and the transducer have to be capable of the frequencies and features to be able to use them.

Q4 – You don’t need to select a transducer.  Just leave it on the Compact SideScan setting.  The unit does not know that you have two transducers connected to it with a Y-cable, nor does it care!  It is programmed to transmit/receive the 2D 200/83kHz and 455kHz Si sonar frequencies and so it does.

Q5 – No you will not.  This was debated long ago and our Engineers stated that you would not need to change the Transducer Select menu.

Q6 – Yes, you will lose the DI sonar anytime that you lose the Si sonar.  This is because the 798 units use the Si sonar information to make up the DI sonar View.

Q7 – No, not really.  I don’t think that many use a switch for this sort of setup.

Q8 – That feature has not been added to the 798ci Si model units yet and I don’t know if it will be.  It was added to the 798ci HD SI models though but that does not help you but I added it for informational purposes in case someone else reads this that has a 798ci HD Si model unit.

AutoChart can be used on any body of water even if that body of water is not on the AutoChart Zero Line mapping card because you can add the lake/river to the mapping card.

Q9 (this is actually your second Q8 question) – You will have to ask that question to Navionics.  We do sell the Navionics mapping cards through our web site but we do not trade/exchange them.

No problem with all the questions all together like this Phillip.
I’ve been a bit confused myself this week, as I think that someone here pranked me on something… but I haven’t totally made up my mind that I just am not losing said mind!  :o  ;D

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline Philip Brown

• Unit(s): 798ci HD SI Combo (replaced 798ci SI)
  • Software: ?
  • Accessories: 2nd xducer aimed through hull &Y split
Thanks Greg!

I appreciate the info, and your response was lightning fast!

:)

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
Holy cow ... I'm glad Greg got that one ... Lol ...

I only have one iota to add ...

The temp probe in the XP 9 20 T that you have externally mounted into the water at the transom has no operational functionality ...

There is no temp channel wire in the "Dual Beam" leg of the AS SIDB Y cable ...so the temp probe of the XP 9 20 T is a dead channel (no wire) ... You can see this in the very diagram you posted for the pinout of the AS SIDB Y cable ... the "Dual Beam" leg only has 2 pins = the 2d pin at the top and the ground/drain in the center ...

It would have sufficed to use the XP 9 20 instead of the XP 9 20 T for using the AS SIDB Y cable setup ...

The temp reading in the AS SIDB Y cable setup is always coming from the HDSI connected to the "Side Image" leg of the AS SIDB Y cable ...

Rickie
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 12:50:59 AM by rnvinc »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo