Author Topic: inflatable boat transducer mount?  (Read 10603 times)

Offline gooral

inflatable boat transducer mount?
« on: October 22, 2013, 08:14:31 PM »
hi guys.
i just bought boat like this (slightly bigger one):

and having hard time to instal transducer. Air deck extends past transom so transducer would be behind prop or very close to it (not good).
thought many things (L bracket going from bench over tube straight down, strap on tube at the stern - again past prop...)
And also thought of some sort of container filled with water (not sure closed or open bottom) so transducer not necessarily will have to be fitted bellow water level - tubes are quite big and fitting going over them would have to be really strong to stay solid at 20mph+
i guess it wont work through air deck...
any ideas welcome.

Offline CaptainYowza

• Unit(s): 997c
Re: inflatable boat transducer mount?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 03:37:03 PM »
When I first had to deal with that issue, it was on a 2.5 hp 5 mph Sea Eagle rig so I just got a big hose clamp, attached the transducer to a big Arizona Iced Tea bottle, and pulled it a couple feet behind the boat. It worked surprisingly well, and led to an expansion into full portability by using a 8 x AA battery box from Radio Shack to get 12v DC. Used it while shore fishing with great success and allowed for resale for much more than I'd dreamed possible (non side-imaging HB).

Now, I'll be using a 10' inflatable with 8 hp as my second boat/RV rig, and the tea bottle probably ain't gonna cut it. Plus, it's kind of an insult to my beloved 997C. The best idea I can come up with so far is a modified quick-remove bracket with a screw clamp.

I'm in the middle of building a zombie apocalypse 4x4 expedition vehicle, so I've not yet made it to the point of sinking my teeth into the transducer issue, but high on my list for dealing with it is a trip to the iboats forums, which contains a subforum for inflatables. Lots of people who know their stuff there, and I'd expect a good solution is rattling around in one of their melons.

Good luck....to both of us. Sigh......it just dawned on me that I gotta get another GPS puck, too. And another knob for the RAM mount. It never ends. So goes having two boats, but only one "Golden Child" (our name for the 997C, which, by the way, I got for just $650 over 2 years ago).

Offline Chapaj

• Unit(s): HDS GEN3
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 10:48:45 AM »
I thought a long time to mount the sensor on the side-scan your RIB SkyBoat360. If you hang on the transom as a normal sonar sensor, the lower gear will close half of the review. Finally I decided to hang it on the contrary - from the stern to the bow at the bottom. Greatly tightened the adjustment bolt bracket. And he hung it on the bolt rope that pulls the bottom section of the fiberglass. I was afraid of big resistance movement. But it turned out that the time-to-gliding decreased. The sensor acts as a spoiler.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 10:53:28 AM by Chapaj »

Offline gooral

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 02:47:48 PM »
nice solution!. but i would be concern about rolling my boat back to bag with transducer and head bracket fitted to boat permanently + was affraid it will be too close to outboard.
So here is what i did:
stern of my boat (you can see why i couldn't install it on the transom:

i thought of fitting it to the front bench but in plane it is quite high in the air and if made long enough to reach water it will catch weed on shallows in summer...

so i decided to copy float tube solution and used straps (it was 1h after work before heading out at 5 am tomorrow so i used random stuff lying in the garage):

this way it is far away from engine, not too long yet always in water. I used random straps - if it works i will swap them to proper ratchet straps. Straps are going through 2 handles so it should not slide back as boat plains. easy to fit and remove will report tomorrow did i lost transducer or not ;P

« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 02:49:21 PM by gooral »

Offline gooral

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 02:21:49 PM »
it worked fine for few h (speeds 15-19 mph) and i removed it (transducer fault ). i will keep in touch once i got transducer sorted.

Offline Rüdiger

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 04:34:40 AM »
Hi Gooral

Your idea is good, but does not work with SI, there is then the Motot in the way.
A simple towfish (CaptainYawoza) is easier to use and works perfectly for DI and SI.

mvh
Rüdiger

Offline bigkahuna

• Accessories: Custom ROV with Imagenex sonar
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 05:12:20 PM »
Anyone mount it from the bow or from the rail, from a post of some sort?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo