Author Topic: one transducer w/ 2 units  (Read 11597 times)

Offline jimmythegreek

• Unit(s): 998c SI, 958cHD DI, 596HD, 595cGPS, 565
one transducer w/ 2 units
« on: October 02, 2012, 12:11:43 PM »
I currently have a new (this season) 998 SI on the bow w the HDSI ducer on the transom.  I have a second standard ducer for the 595c GPS on the console.  I am looking to upgrade that unit to either a 997 or 998 if I can get a good deal on one.  I have read that only the 998's are capable of sharing one transducer, what are my options, I dont really want to add another HDSI in place of the standard one next to it just wanna run w one ducer.  I have US2 on my terrova but dont use it cause I use the DI and SI alot for locating fish........thanks

Offline wolfs4evr

• Unit(s): 898c SI / 798ci HD SI
Re: one transducer w/ 2 units
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 12:47:47 PM »
Too bad the fish are +/- 20 feet behind you.  Drop shotting/vertical fishing, etc would be semi fruitless on the bow since everything you see on your 998 is +/- 20 feet behind you (however long your boat is).

Any Bird that is ethernet capable can share a transducer.  Unless you buy a SI/DI unit the 2nd unit will only be able to use 2D info from the 998 transducer (83/200).

Mounting your 998 TD on the TM would be a huge improvement IMO for the type of fishing you appear to be doing.  Then buy say a 778C HD for the console for basic navigation plus mount the transducer it comes with on the transom.  (Cheapest route for a Network).

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 01:28:44 PM »
If you are just set on a 998 at the console to go with the one you have on the bow than you can share your existing HDSi transducer between the units.  One unit will have to be the primary unit (the one that the HDSi transducer is connected to) and will have to be on for the second unit to share the transducer data.  With two 998 units you will be able to share all of the sonar: 2D/Si/Di.  Connection between the units is simple: just one cable and you are done.

I agree with jimmythegreek though and recommend that each unit have their own transducer.  Many are running an HDSi transducer on the trolling motor.  I’m not sure if you will have the room to mount it on your trolling motor with that US2 on your Terrova though.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline jimmythegreek

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 02:20:10 PM »
I dont do much bass fishing anymore, I do alot of trolling 4 walleyes and stripers etc.  I fish alot of electric only lakes here in NJ and use the SI to find structure mostly.  Only 2 large lakes I fish allow my main engine to run, thats where I run into problems having to look over the console to see the SI, my 595c has GPS and navionics so does the 998.  I was thinking of maybe just getting a 8" LCD screen and using my video out cable to it on the dash behind the windscreen, but id still have to run up to the front to change screens.  I thought about mounting the HDSI on the TM but doesnt turning the TM to steer blurr the SI picture?  any of u guys that have it that way does it work well up front?

Offline wolfs4evr

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 04:41:03 PM »
The more the info the better we can assist.  Your initial post missed several key items.

Just making sure I am on track...

In the big picture you are a Walleye fisherman and typically troll?

Your TM requires you to be up front?  So that is why the 998 is up front?

If so, skip the new unit and get a Minnkota Terrova so you can run your TM via a remote and mount the 998 at the console.

Done.

What I would do.  If I have the facts correct and some guesses correct.

I also own a Minnkota Terrova w/US2 Trolling Motor and I know for a fact I wouldn't buy another boat or use mine if it didn't have that trolling motor on it for big lake fishing.  Track recording, speed setting via GPS, course setting via GPS, soon there will be available a set-up that will connect your 998 to the Terrova TM so you can "semi" control your TM via the 998, etc, etc.

Something you may want to look into in a BIG way.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 05:13:28 PM by wolfs4evr »

Offline wolfs4evr

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 04:50:01 PM »
I have the smaller 798ci HD SI transducer on mine right now with plenty of room via a transducer shield and saver mount.  I never measured but fairly sure there would be plenty of room left over to fit the bigger HDSi TD.

http://www.transducershieldandsaver.com
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 05:12:08 PM by wolfs4evr »

Offline wolfs4evr

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 05:10:07 PM »
Yes to a point turning the TM will "blurr" a little bit of the screen.  But really no different than changing direction any other way.  You turn then go straight.  A little bit of data will be skewed a little.

I am always up front fishing but I do bass fish.  I have a 798 on the bow with its transducer mounted on my US2 equip'd Terrova TM (I don't use the US2.  Matter of fact I removed the cable from the head of the TM down to the end connector just to get it out of the way).  That way I can see what is under my exact position not what is under the back of the boat.  My 898 is on the console with its TD on the transom.  They are connected together via a Ethernet cable.  I can select either transducer from either unit and share waypoints, etc, etc (If I use the bow TD on the 898 I only loose 800mhz since the 798 isn't capable of that freq.)  The 798 gives me excellant SI/DI/2D being mounted on the TM.  You just have to account for course changes when looking at the screen and cross out that little bit of info that is "blurred" from the turn mentally.

If I happen to be out chasing Stripers, which I don't do often, I can run the big motor and have the TM out of the water.  I will select the 898 TD via the Ethernet settings on the 798 so both units can display data.  I might leave my front on 2D and have the rear on full screen DI or SI and just look over the console to see 2D.  If I wanted to.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 05:17:03 PM by wolfs4evr »

Offline jimmythegreek

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 09:16:13 PM »
Im not really a walleye fisherman, I dont know what I am really lol.  I do alot of trolling anymore and use planer boards and drop rigging.I also fish reservoirs for trout w my downriggers, I get in it all even fish muskies, I vary ALOT.  I dont chase LM and SM the way most people do, its diff here in NJ.  Many of the productive lakes are electric only, they are the only ones u can really fish from labor day to memorial day.  The 2 main lakes by me that are unlimited HP are packed solid during those months  its not worth fishing them.  I have the 998SI on the bow cause thats where I fish from mostly even when trolling especially when on electric only water.  If im on the big water w the gas motor I usually look over the console to the bow but its hard to see well and the contour lines when following a depth contour.  I do have a terrova 80lb w US2 w wireless remote currently, but didnt think I could mount the HDSI on the TM but maybe I can.  I wanted the 2nd 998 cause I do alot of waypoints, and the 595c is tiny now at the console since upgrading. If i can fit an HDSI on the terrova that would work cause I can use the new 998 at the console and ethernet them and Im golden.  I saw someone run the ducer wire inside the terrova collar but not sure how well that works I love the clean factory setup w US2 but dont use it now since I got rid of the 565 I had on bow and went 998.  Maybe I should just get a 958 w an HDSI ducer and just switch units from bow and console depending on where Im fishing, that would work too I guess and save some $$$    does anybody know where I can find pics of a HDSI ducer on a terrova for some ideas?  thanks again guys
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 09:21:21 PM by jimmythegreek »

Offline wolfs4evr

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 10:01:32 PM »
This post will show you two different set of pics I posted.

http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?topic=3692.0

"Kinda" how to run a cable on a Terrova cleanly.  (Some pics of mine tore down and what you have to go through.)  You will also read in that post that I didn't go down this route.  I got mega interference on both of my units going down this road.  Also some pics on how I ended up routing my CSi TD cable to avoid interference.  Not as clean but works!

Also you will see that there is plenty of space for a HDSi transducer.  The HDSi ducer is 2 inches longer than the CSi ducer and there is plenty of room.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 10:09:57 PM by wolfs4evr »

Offline wolfs4evr

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 10:07:49 PM »
A SI unit and a DI unit are two different animals/2 different transducers that can't work to their fullest using the others TD. Going with one transducer the other unit will only be able to get 2D info from the host unit.

This is really really really what I wanted to do.  SI on the console and DI on the bow but not a reality if one wants to take full advantage of 2 ducers and be able to mix things up.  Why I went 898/798.  Same units per se and I can switch to the others TD and be able to get what I wanted.  Dual 998s or 1198s would of been awesome...  Too spendy for my wallet.

Also the quick release on the 798 is awesome.  No cables to unscrew.  Just push the button to release.  I don't leave it on the bow when I am trailering and if I am fishing for Stripers I am never on the bow and usually don't even break the 798 out of the compartment I keep it in.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 10:16:03 PM by wolfs4evr »

Offline wolfs4evr

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 10:23:22 PM »
I don't troll very often at all.  But when I do I have zero desire to be on the bow.  Currious why you like to be on the bow?

I use the 898 on the console to find my structure, mark it, etc and then fish from the bow when fishing for Bass.  The 798 is plenty big enough for me for that scenerio.  I don't use SI up there that much but wanted a unit capable of 2D/DI and this was the only road I could go down and be able to share transducers.  It was important to be able to share since I have to switch the console 898 to the bows TD to avoid cross talk.  More or less when I am in over 20 feet of water I can't run both TDs at the same time.  2D info will get crosstalk/interference.  It doesn't seem to bother SI or DI.  Anyways, this allows my daughter of whomever is in the rear of the boat to have a graph also to check out.  Also I can jump into the console seat and drive the boat around via the Terrova and check areas out on the 898 via the bows TM mounted transducer and see what is ahead of me if I want a bigger screen to look at.  I can turn the TM and look around SI wise faster and easier with the TM mounted ducer.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo