Author Topic: What changed in the new 5-Port Ethernet Switch?  (Read 16830 times)

Offline rpro

• Unit(s): 999ci HD SI, 1199ci HD SI
  • Software: 7.02
  • Accessories: AS ETH 5PXG, AS ETH NMEA2K
What changed in the new 5-Port Ethernet Switch?
« on: March 12, 2014, 07:02:53 AM »
I am about to rig a new Lund with a 999ci and an 1199ci and an 80 Terrova w/iPilot LINK, but with all of this this "new model" stuff I received an "old model" Ethernet switch, P/N AS ETH 5PS, that is listed as discontinued in some places.
The new model number is P/N AS ETH 5PXG and it's retail price is higher than the previous model. So something tells me that they have made improvements to this new P/N. Can anyone tell me what improvements were made? Humminbird support said only the outer case changed, but why would they just change that and make it much more expensive? I may wish to add an Onix at some point...

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: What changed in the new 5-Port Ethernet Switch?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 12:07:38 PM »
Welcome to the Humminbird Side Imaging Forums rpo.

[EDIT]
Okay, from what I have been told it is not about speed.  It is more of a change in the overall design of the Switch.  Both are Gigabit switches but the 5PXG is better designed to handle our multicast subscriptions and can support the larger numbers of devices and data that will be connected to them along with the ONIX and ION units.

The 5PXG can also be updated through your ONIX or ION unit (the 5PS cannot).

If you plan on running an ONIX unit in the future you should go ahead and get the As-ETH-5PXG version.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 12:56:08 PM by Humminbird_Greg »
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline rpro

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 12:59:52 PM »
Thanks Greg. Some related questions:
I know you said you are checking to confirm, but by this you are suggesting I return the unopened old model and get the new model, correct?

"This increased speed is needed for the ONIX and ION units, so you should see about getting the AS-ETH-5PXG."

When you say "...you should see about getting the AS-ETH-5PXG", are you saying that this old model switch won't work at all with the ONIX and ION units, or are you saying it won't work very well?

Am I correct in thinking that you cannot network an ONIX unit and a 999 or 1199 together or an ION and a 999 and 1199 together?

If that is true that you cannot network these, can you network an ONIX and an ION together?

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 01:25:46 PM »
rpro,
Yes I am suggesting that you return the AS-ETH-5PS and get the AS-ETH-5PXG instead.

Speed isn’t the issue.  I edited my reply above (you must have started your message while I edited mine).  With the ONIX or ION units you will need the 5PXG Switch so it will work correctly with another unit and/or accessories.  I read a post on another web site yesterday where someone is using one of the 5PS Switches with an ONIX unit, 360 Imaging accessory and an i-Pilot Link.  He is having problems with them which may be due to the 5PS Switch that he is using.

Correct, as it stands now you cannot network an ONIX unit with either an ION unit or one of the 700/800/900 or 1100 series units.

Offline RuffWood

• Unit(s): 898c SI, 998c SI, 998c SI, 1199ci HD SI
  • Software: 7.250, 7.510, 7.460
  • Accessories: AS GPS HS, Ethernet, AS ETH 5PS
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 03:04:43 PM »
Does not appear the new AS-ETH-5PXG are available for purchase. There is no way to add them to your cart on the Humminbird site. When will they be released for purchase? In fact the picture displayed is of the old switch.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 03:13:00 PM by RuffWood »

Offline rpro

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 06:43:45 PM »
Greg, if I'm pretty sure that for the next few years at least I will only be using the 999 and 1199, would there be any benefit at all with the newly designed switch vs. the previous model?

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 10:09:38 AM »
If you added a few more units or accessories there may be rpro.  This will be especially so if there are any software changes made that could improve communications between devices.  Without being able to predict the future it is really hard to say.

We are shipping the AS-ETH-5PXG’s now, the web site may not have gotten updated yet.  I’ll check on getting the picture changed – the 5PXG is the same except has “5PXG” in place of the “5PS”.  Call the Humminbird Customer Resource folks to purchase one if your retailer of choice does not have them yet.

Offline RuffWood

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 01:00:27 PM »
Greg,
I happen to own one of the AS-ETH-5PS and there is evidently a problem with the switch or we would not be having this discussion. Is Humminbird going to recall and replace the switches that have been sold and put in service or at the very least have an upgrade or trade in program for the new AS-ETH-5PXG?

Offline rpro

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 05:01:44 PM »
RuffWood, as I understand the way Greg has explained it, the switch does not work with the ONIX and ION units, but for those that purchased this switch for other units in months or years past, it works fine and has been working fine for years.
While it is true that Greg has also said that even for those other units (other than ONIX and ION) there are potential benefits that could be available in the future that this new switch would allow for, but there is not an actual problem with the "old" model unit, other than it doesn't have some of the functionality of the new unit. It is simply newer technology, and as you know, it is difficult to keep up with the latest technology.
The electronics that we all purchased years ago and even months ago, regardless of what they were, may well have been updated since that time to newer technology.
I know that if I would have purchased my iPhone 5S when it came out late last year and then the next month or two after that the iPhone 6 came out with dramatically better technology, I would have been pretty upset with Apple. But I won't be upset with them when they come out with the iPhone 6 later this year, and I'll likely even buy one.

Offline RuffWood

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2014, 11:05:20 AM »
This is what Greg said: "If you added a few more units or accessories there may be rpro.  This will be especially so if there are any software changes made that could improve communications between devices.  Without being able to predict the future it is really hard to say." I have 3 Humminbird units installed now and  just bought the 1199, haven't installed it yet, and am planning on getting the trolling motor 360 in the very near future. Don't want to have problems caused by a switch that is not capable of handling the 5 accessories and software updates as needed for units to function properly.

Offline Bob B

• Unit(s): 1197c si, 1198c si
  • Software: 6.310, 6.490
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2014, 02:44:31 PM »
There will be people who buy the I-phone 5 a couple of months before the 6 comes out.....That is just the nature of the rapid change in electronics technology over the lat 15 years.
**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Offline lcookie

• Unit(s): 998SI/1198SI/788DI/587DI
  • Software: 6.68/6.64/6.64/6.09
  • Accessories: Ethernet, GRHA, ASGPSHS,WeatherSense
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2014, 10:26:57 PM »
I have 4 units on the old switch and have no problems at this time.  Going to get either a 360 or I-link to fill the last spot.  Will post if have problems.

Offline RuffWood

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 07:59:42 AM »
There will be people who buy the Phone 5 a couple of months before the 6 comes out.....That is just the nature of the rapid change in electronics technology over the lat 15 years.

Bob, so if you purchase an Phone, new, old, doesn't make any difference, and you are told that it will connect to and share 5 different networks. You get 3 or 4 connected and everything is fine. Then you try and connect with number 5 and you start having problems, phone getting interference, shutting down, not communicating with all networks, etc. Are you going to be happy with you're Phone if that happens?

Offline RuffWood

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 08:09:33 AM »
I have 4 units on the old switch and have no problems at this time.  Going to get either a 360 or I-link to fill the last spot.  Will post if have problems.

Sounds like you are doing the same as me. I now have an 898 and (2) 998's hooked up and I just got the 1199 for the bow and am adding it specifically for the 360 in the near future. Want to get all four units set up and working then add the 360. Going to be very disappointed if this does not work.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2014, 01:03:29 PM »
As far as I know RuffWood it should all work.  Now with any future accessories or changes in software.. I don’t know because I cannot predict the future.

Offline RuffWood

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2014, 02:30:05 PM »
Greg,
Thank you for the reply and reassurance. I certainly realize you can't predict the future. I just got concerned reading what you said: "If you added a few more units or accessories there may be rpro.  This will be especially so if there are any software changes made that could improve communications between devices." 
I put a lot of faith in what you say, you are a class act as well as a wealth of knowledge, on this board. I have learned a tremendous amount about Humminbird products and their operation by reading your replies to all of us who post their questions and concerns here. Your help is always greatly appreciated.

Offline CarolC

• Unit(s): Onyx 8ci si , Onyx 10ci si
  • Software: 1.1
  • Accessories: lakeshore maps, ipilot link, e adaptor
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2014, 12:33:37 AM »
We have the 5pxg- and it needs to be updated - our network now will not work without it, but cannot register the switch on the HB site to get the new softwear. Right now the terrova, and both onix units can not network. If anyone knows how to get update, would greatly appreciate it. Also found the the softwear update on my download for the onix did not work, Had to get one from my retailer- still unable to update the controller or remote- Hoping we can get this all figured out soon.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2014, 09:41:48 AM »
CarolC,
I don’t think that there has been any new software for the AS-ETH-5PXG 5-Port Ethernet Switch.

If you are having problems in getting the i-Pilot Link’s Controller and/or Remote to load the software update; you should call the Humminbird Customer resource folks.  First though: make sure that you have the Controller and Remote software files for the ONIX type units.  This is all listed in your My Humminbird account.  Also make sure you rename the download files as specified in the instructions in your My Humminbird account.

Offline CarolC

• Unit(s): Onyx 8ci si , Onyx 10ci si
  • Software: 1.1
  • Accessories: lakeshore maps, ipilot link, e adaptor
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2014, 01:06:39 PM »
Greg- thanks for the info, Yes I think we have the right softwear for the hub, I did download the controller and remote softwear, however it does not say to rename, in fact I though it specifically said not to change the file name- I checked the download instructions for the remote, controller and head- I do not see anything about renaming. Where is it stated?  I have been talking to customer service this morning, and have talked to them last week, however on Thursday they were closed and just now open after the holiday weekend, so we were unable to proceed. They are sending a downgrade file and will talk us throught trying to get the hub to reconnect to the units. 

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2014, 02:13:51 PM »
CarolC,
The file name changing may have been for an older version of software or maybe for another product.  If the instructions said not to rename the files than you are okay.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo