Author Topic: Question on Humminbird ethernet  (Read 10627 times)

Offline flo

• Unit(s): 1198c SI, ROV with USBL Tracking
  • Software: 6.490
  • Accessories: DrDepth, Rotational Device
Question on Humminbird ethernet
« on: November 02, 2012, 05:37:01 PM »
Hello,

there is a ethernet switch available from Humminbird (Humminbird AS ETH 5 PS Ethernet Switch, 5 Ports).

My question - is this switch a standard 10/100Mbit ethernet switch, modified to be water proof and RJ45-Connectors replaced by M12/8-Connectors?

I'm asking because I already have two M12/8 to RJ45 selfmade adapter cables for DrDepth.

A future configuration I have in mind now would be

1 Humminbird 1198c with ethernet connected to a standard switch (for the sonar operator)
1 Humminbird small unit (perhaps 798) connected to the switch (navigation for the skipper)
1 PC with DrDepth connected to Switch (for the rotational device we build recently)
1 iPilot Link (Dez 2012) which I suppose will work with an ethernet connection connected to the switch ("mobile anchor" while ROV deployed)

Is this something feasible or am I on the wrong way? Any hints are welcome.

Thanks for your support.

Best regards,

Florian
--
Watch out where the huskies go, and don't eat that yellow snow

Offline diver651

• Unit(s): 1197, 1198
  • Software: 6.47
  • Accessories: Interlink, Aux Speed/Temp,
Re: Question on Humminbird ethernet
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 10:53:55 PM »
Flo,

I cannot answer your question about the Humminbird switch, but I have successfully connected a laptop running Dr Depth to an 1197 via ethernet using both wired hub/switch and wireless ethernet router using cables that adapt the M12x8 to standard RJ45. So what you are wanting to do should be possible provided everything gets addressed properly and everything can communicate quickly enough. I have had no issues using 10/100 hubs/switches.

Are the servos on your rotating scanner being controlled via the ethernet cabling? Mine uses a USB connection to my computer, and I have not had time or the idea to see if that could be done via an ethernet addressable device. The USB could limit my use due to the relatively short cable run capability and an ethernet option may be worth investigating.

Offline flo

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 12:41:13 PM »
Hi diver651,

thanks for your answer, I think I just have to give it a try to find out - I'm quite sure it should work with two devices only, but currently I don't know how the network packets are adressed when more members join the network and how much bandwith is consumed. I will have a closer look with a network analyzer like wireshark as soon as our 1198c is returned from repair (on/off-Button sometimes stuck).

The servo of our rotational device is controlled via USB cable - 5m cable is enough for our use case. It is possible to extend range of usb 2.0 connections up to 30m using 5 cables 6m long each, connected via usb hubs, that's what specification says. If you need more, "USB line extender" are availabe doing the translation between USB and ethernet.

Since for the rotational device use case the two power lines in the USB cable are not used (only data lines) I was able to successful connect the Maestro Control Center with up to 12m of standard USB-cable.

Regards,

Flo
--

Offline diver651

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 12:53:12 PM »
Flo,

Thanks for the information. I currently have the USB extended for my boat mounted rotational scanner, but one of my projects looking forward will be to have one mounted on a float that can be placed in a lake and controlled from a shore based computer over wireless ethernet. I currently have a standard SI set-up that communicates the information over the wireless ethernet so the live data can be viewed from shore using Dr. Depth. Works effectively in small lakes and ponds too small to launch a boat in.

I know I can always put one computer on the float and view with another, but was trying to simplify the concept and lower the potential loss.

Good luck with your attempt at pushing the envelope!

Mike

Offline flo

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 02:59:54 PM »
Hi Mike,

device returned from repair, just to report what I found out.

I connected the humminbird 1198c to my home network via wifi extender. Also connected to the same network my linux PC and another PC running DrDepth.
On the Linux PC a network sniffer (wireshark) was running.
After booting the 1198c sent DHCP discover request and got a reply from my router with an IP adress from my local range. The client internally used on the 1198c is udhcp 1.13.2, often used on small linux systems together with busybox. Afterwards the 1198c sends periodically service announces to multicast ip adresses:
service:temperatureStream.techsonic
service:navigation.techsonic
service:client.techsonic
service:radarMaster.techsonic
service:ethacc.techsonic
service:sonarStream.techsonic

These service announces are UDP packets. techsonic is the former name of Humminbird, the MAC Adress (range) of the 1198c is also registered by techsonic.

When DrDepth is connected the flow of these UDP streams consumes in my setup 1MBit of the network connection, but since it's mutlicast traffic I would expect that even when more devices join the network and subscribe to the stream this will not increase.

The following network ports are open on my 1198c:
PORT      STATE SERVICE
22/tcp    open  ssh
427/tcp   open  svrloc
50112/tcp open  unknown
50560/tcp open  unknown
50624/tcp open  unknown
50688/tcp open  unknown
50752/tcp open  unknown
50816/tcp open  unknown

The high ports 50xxx are used by the udp streams described above. Very interesting is that the 1198c has an sshd-server running and listening on port 22. They use a small openssh-server (SSH-2.0-dropbear) often used on small embedded systems. Authentication methods allowed are publickkey and username/password.

That's where my investigations end up although it would be interesting to see how the device works internally, but I'm quite sure nobody will tell user/pw  ;)

Flo
--

Offline abraquelebout

• volunteer rescue diver, surfer, publicist, submarine archaeology
  • Unit(s): 898, 1198, helix G2
  • Software: deep,,drdepht,reef.
  • Accessories: towfish lowbird /LSS2-hdsi, 60mcable
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 02:02:59 PM »
i test connection in Rj45 with dr depht, every thing are ok
the conection are the same as standart rj45 wiring (same colours)

Offline Oceanscience

• Z-Boat
    • The Oceanscience Group
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 05:10:12 PM »
Where can I find a pinout diagram for the Humminbird Ethernet cable (Humminbird 9 pin connector) to an RJ45 Ethernet connector? Any ideas or a link to another post? Thanks guys!

Offline Oceanscience

• Z-Boat
    • The Oceanscience Group
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 05:14:43 PM »
Hello,

I too am looking to transmit Humminbird data via a wireless wifi radio. Might you know where I can find a pinout diagram for crafting up a Humminbird ethernet cable and adding an RJ45 connector to one end? Or does anyone know where these can be purchased?

Thanks!

Offline diver651

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 12:41:16 PM »
Take a look at this thread. It details the pin out and wire details to make your own.

http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?topic=2896.0

You can make your own by cutting a Humminbird cable and adding a standard RJ45 plug on the end, or you can cut a standard RJ45 patch cable and add an M12 network plug to the end (if you can find them).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo