Author Topic: NEMA 2K & 798ci HD SI  (Read 7574 times)

Offline RayBersch

• Semperfi
  • Unit(s): Matrix 17
  • Accessories: GPS antenna
NEMA 2K & 798ci HD SI
« on: January 02, 2013, 05:19:29 PM »
I was under the impression that all HD units were NEMA 2k compatible but I just looked at the HB site for the 798 ci HD SI and in bold letters it said "This product is not NMEA2000 compatible"  I had viewed the web page in the past but did not notice this comment.  Then, sure enough when checking the AS ETH interface it does not list the 798 in its compatibility list but it does list the 788 units.  I was about to buy a 798 unit but this changes things and it looks like I must go to the 788 and forfeit the side imaging. (Yes, I want a 700 series and the DI but I would also like the SI)

I want the NEMA 2k in order to get engine data from my Yamaha F150 (2011 mfg date)

Was I wrong or is this a new development perhaps brought on by problems in the field?  Comments anyone?

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 05:25:14 PM by RayBersch »
Ray

Offline Bob B

• Unit(s): 1197c si, 1198c si
  • Software: 6.310, 6.490
Re: NEMA 2K & 798ci HD SI
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 08:23:05 PM »
Good question....I would have thought the 798Ci Si HD model would be able to display nema 2000 data since the HD model does have ethernet and the nema 2000 is an ethernet accessory.  (Humminbird sometimes has errors in their documentation.  It could be this is a warning associated with the non-HD version of the 798.)

Hopefully Greg will check in and be able to answer your question.
**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Offline RayBersch

• Semperfi
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 10:48:55 PM »
Thanks, I do hope Greg can shed some light - I just checked back in my files on SI and NEMA2k and found that back in May 2012 I copied and pasted the list of compatible units from the AS ETH page on the HB net site and the 798 ci HD SI was definitely on the list.  Of course that was way early in the game and I am not sure if the interface was even available at that time - but it does appear that there has been a change and I would sure like to know why and if there may be a software change being worked on for release in the future - makes a difference as to which unit I buy - and considering that I am not interested in an ice fishing unit, I certainly have time to make a purchase.
Ray

Offline RayBersch

• Semperfi
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 11:30:51 PM »
Am I asking this question in the wrong forum and should I just try to call customer service?  It is difficult to get time during the day to wait on the phone for a customer service rep and I thought this would be the best place to ask the question.  Perhaps there is another forum that someone can point me to - any help would be appreciated.   
Ray

Offline Bob B

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 04:17:18 PM »
Greg is as good a resource as you can find, but sometimes he gets very busy......keeping up with the forums is not part of his job.  He just does it when he gets a chance.

You might try posting on here also  http://www.bbcboards.net/humminbird-sonar-gps/   There are some very knowledgable folks on there also.

You can always call customer support and ask them, but from what I have heard don't do it on a Monday morning.  That is their busy time.

Offline RayBersch

• Semperfi
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 08:24:10 PM »
Ok, there were a couple of recommendations that I contact customer service. I have always been treated well when dealing with HB customer service and today was no exception.  I guess it was a slow day as it did not take long to be connected.  The service rep understood my questions but did not have the answers at hand so she asked if I would mind holding for awhile - long story short (because it did take awhile to sort out the issues,) the answer to my primary question is that NO, the 798ci HD Si model is not NEMA 2k compatible and, of course, that is now clearly stated in at least a couple of locations on the web site.  Indeed it was anticipated the unit would be compatible but it seems that the tech folks had to make hard decisions regarding resource allocations.  There is only so much that can be done with the hardware so the decision was made (probably by marketing, but who knows)  to allow 360 Imaging in lieu of NEMA 2k compatibility on the 798 -  I guess it was felt there would be more demand for the 360 feature on the 798 model and the unit simply could not accommodate both technologies.  :( Sad for me, of course, and I did cast one vote against the idea but I understand the issues and can't criticize how the company wants to set up its model lines.

Once I get over the loss of SI in my new purchase there are two bits of good news in all of this; 1) the 788ci HD DI unit is NEMA 2K compatible (but NOT 360) and it is considerably less costly than the 798 and 2) I had a hell of a good experience with a wonderful service rep (and I failed to ask her name) who doggedly dug into the back rooms for answers to my questions and always came back with a smile and a clear answer.

For those wondering why I don't step up to an 800 series, there just is not room for anything larger than the 700 in the location that I want to mount it on my Skeeter SL 190. 

I did go over to BBC to ask my questions so I will post this answer over there also.
Ray

Offline Bob B

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 12:57:03 AM »
Hey, glad you finally got the answers you were looking for.....sorry it wasn't the answer you hoped for.

I'd be kind of surprised though that there are that many people who will be using the 798 for the 360.  If a person wants to shell out the money for the 360, they will probably be wanting to view it on a larger screen. :-\

Maybe HB should reconsider that one.

Offline LocDown

• Fishing Videos
  • Unit(s): 1199 H12G2N-HW-MSI
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 02:33:03 AM »
are ram mounts an  option if the location doesn't have the space you need?

Offline RayBersch

• Semperfi
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 05:17:22 PM »
I'm 100% in agreement with Bob B.  The 798 is minimalist for viewing SI and I think 360 is a stretch.  But what do I know?

And, no, a ram mount won't do for me.  I do have an alternative, however.  I can switch to Command Link gauges and get what I want for engine data.  Then I can use the 798 - what the hell, it's only money.

Thanks for the replies.
Ray

Offline xSilmarilSx

• Unit(s): HB 798ci SI HD - HB 778c Quad Beam
  • Software: 6.250 - 5.320
  • Accessories: TG W, NMEA Cable, Ethernet
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 12:50:58 PM »
I know it's a HB forum, but wouldn't it be cheaper to use a Lowrance unit to display NMEA2000 data, since it's built-in in their units compared to HB which you need to buy a extension bridge?

From what I have seen, the NMEA2000 on a HB unit don't seem very popular.

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 01:02:07 PM »
Right as usual XSil.....
Although this is an HB based forum, we dont want folks to buy an HB and have a bad taste. This can spill over and be a bigger headache. Not every sonar is the right one for all.
This forum supports HB but does not want the buyer to waste his/her money and then spend the rest of their life saying bad things about HB. HB loses in the long run.
Buyers should research prior to buying. Wonder how many really do?
As I have posted on this and other forums....One particular brand does not fit all needs. Be an informed buyer and spend your money wisely and you will be happy..

Chuck
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 01:15:10 PM by sonar2000 »

Offline RayBersch

• Semperfi
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 01:29:58 PM »
Thanks for the comments and suggestions on Lowrance, but rest assured I have researched their products and lets just say that HB is more attractive to me and I am willing to work with what HB has to offer.  As with many things in life; boats, airplanes and women included, compromise seems to always be at hand.  Had I purchased a 798 earlier on with the understanding that it would be NEMA 2k compatible only to find out that the manufacturer changed its mind, I would have been very angry - THAT is the lesson for HB to take to heart in this case.  But as far as I am concerned at this time, no harm, no foul.

I will keep tuned to this site and continue to absorb all that is being offered.
Ray

Offline tboltmike

• Cheetah Mike
  • Unit(s): 788ci
  • Software: 5.4
  • Accessories: quadrabeam
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 05:21:09 PM »
I have a 788 and had it less than a year when the HD DI model came out.  I also have the NMEA 2k with the LMF 400 head for display.  The 788 HD was said to be 2k compatible, but not my plane 788.  So no DI, SI nor 2k connection.

However, if it is still true that the HD is 2k compatible, the quadrabeam gives wide field of view capability.  Thought not SI, it does do a good job of finding structure and it has a 90 degree beam width.  May ease you loss in not getting SI/DI
Mike T

Offline RayBersch

• Semperfi
Re: NMEA 2K & 798ci HD SI
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 07:37:45 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I've looked around quite a bit and have had several suggestions thrown my way.  Many suggest the Lowrance.  So I have (kinda and reluctantly) made up my mind to switch to the Lowrance products.  It appears that they are seamless using the N2K and also provide a better, perhaps more complete, engine info presentation.  I have decided to go up to the HDS Touch models, the 7 will work for me.  I almost ordered the unit this weekend but paused - once again - for several reasons: 1st have have had good luck with HB and MinnKota products and especially customer service - hard to leave that behind in the face of complaints about the Lowrance customer service and lastly, I will need to make the HSD 7 "fit" in a space that begs for a smaller unit, like the 788/798. 

But the boat gets unwrapped at the end of this month so its time to get this done - the only thing delaying me is my own head!

Thanks again, I appreciate your taking the time to respond.
Ray

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo