Author Topic: 2 SI units and 2 transducers configuration options  (Read 8500 times)

Offline wolfs4evr

• Unit(s): 898c SI / 798ci HD SI
2 SI units and 2 transducers configuration options
« on: October 25, 2011, 10:05:10 AM »
Lost and confused.  Sorry ahead time since I know this post will ramble on.

Currently I have a 898c SI mounted on my console with the transducer mounted on the transom (2012 Tracker V-175 WT aluminum deep V boat).  I am planning on getting something for the bow since I spend a majority of my time there.  For the sake of argument say a 798c SI.  If I understand it correctly once I mount the 798c SI and get power to it I can purchase/connect a Ethernet cable (plus the Ethernet adapter cable that is specific for 798c SI applications) to it and run it to the 898c SI and be good to go.  This allows me to have SI/DI/Sonar/Temp, etc at both units from the transom transducer plus the sharing of info like waypoints.  There is somewhat of a question in all of that…  Am I correct?

Will the 798c SI use the external GPS data from the 898c SI or go off its own internal when connected via Ethernet?

On to my next question.

I have a Minn Kota Terrova I-Pilot trolling motor with US2.  I already have the adapter cable that goes between it and a Humminbird.  How can I add that into this scenario?  What cables/adapters would be required and how would they be ran between the two units so that both can display the same info at the same time?  (My daughter is always with me fishing from the back and she likes to use and look at the dash mount so I don’t want to get into a configuration where only one unit displays info at a time.)

Reading the forums and from what I gather I believe a AS-Si-DB-Y cable would/could do something for me in the line of what I am thinking about.  Giving me dual beam plus info from the bow US2 transducer and SI/DI/temp info from the transom mounted.  If that is the case how is it hooked up since the 798c SI doesn’t have a dedicated Ethernet port and the transducer port has to be used for the Ethernet connection?  Is there a way to connect this all up so that both units display the same data?  Dual beam from the US2 and everything else from the transom mount?

Now if that is something that works on to the next question.

I have the trolling motor up how do I switch the configuration around so that all of the data is coming from the transom mount transducer to both units?

I am also pondering moving the 898 to the bow and installing a 998 on the dash.  Not sure if that would change anything or not as far as this specific question other than I would have two dedicated Ethernet ports available verse having to use the transducer port on a 798 as the Ethernet port.

I might as well add another question since I am rambling on.  If I understood what I have been reading correctly if I purchase another SI unit I can trade in the new unused transom mounted transducer for a TM mount SI transducer directly from Humminbird.  If I decide to go down that road and mount that transducer on my TM how does that work in and what else would be needed so that I could switch between the two (front or rear SI transducer) and have info available on both units?

Tom

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: 2 SI units and 2 transducers configuration options
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 12:40:21 PM »
Well then I will just give you a rambling answer Tom!  ;D

Yes, when the 798ci HD Si (it has to be an “HD” version unit or it will not have Ethernet connectivity) is connected to the 898c Si unit you will be able to use the GPS data and see the sonar data from the 898c Si unit on the 798ci HD Si unit.  The exception to this will be that the 798ci HD Si unit will not be able to display the 800kHz Si sonar if you are using that setting on the 898c Si unit because the 798ci HD Si does not have the 800kHz capability built into it.

The 798ci HD Si unit will use whichever GPS Receiver you tell it to use as this is one of the things that you can setup with the Ethernet connection.

For the Terrova’s US2 sonar to be seen on both units at the same time, you will need to purchase a TS3 Transducer Switch and connect it to the 898c Si unit.  Both the HDSi transducer of the 898c Si unit and the US2 transducer would be connected to the US3 as well so that at a toggle of the US3 switch you are either looking at the Si/Di/2D sonar from the HDSi transducer or just the 2D sonar of the US2 transducer.

I don’t think that you want to use the AS-Si-DB-Y cable in your setup as the US2 transducer will be out of the water when your boat is moving at anything above an idle speed with the big motor.

The 798ci HD Si unit uses separate connectors for the transducer and Ethernet.  The connector that used to be for the Temp/Speed accessory was replaced by an Ethernet connection that works with the quick disconnect setup of this unit.

If you end up with a 998c Si unit (either at the bow or console) the connections would be the same except that you would not need the 700 Series Ethernet Adapter Cable.  The same TS3 Transducer Switch could be used to change between the transom and trolling motor mounted HDSi transducers.  Yes you can exchange the new and unused transom mounted HDSi transducer for one that will mount on the trolling motor.  It is in reality the same transducer but with different mounting hardware.  Some instead use an aftermarket adapter such as from Transducer Shield & Saver, Transducer Armor or Raptor, instead of our trolling motor adapter hardware as these companies adapters do offer some protection to the expensive trolling motor mounted HDSi transducer.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 01:25:38 PM by sonar2000 »
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline wolfs4evr

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 02:35:10 PM »
Technology these days just kills me.  It takes some time to sink in anyways.

Of course I am all confused now.  The whole TS3/US3 thing blew me apart.  I thought connecting the units via a Ethernet cable avoided that whole plethora of cables, switches, etc.

I went and downloaded/read the Ethernet pdf and that opened my eyes some more.  Now I have more questions/ready for a whole new start

To keep it simple lets go with I have a 898 on the dash and a 898 on the bow scenario.  I have both of the included transducers mounted on my boat.  One on the transom and the other on the trolling motor.  Can’t I just connect the trolling motor mounted transducer to the bow 898 and the transom mounted transducer to the dash 898 and select which transducer I want to use electronically via the Ethernet settings on each unit and share the transducer information that way?

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 02:56:35 PM »
Tom,
Adding the US2 in the mixture added some complexity to what you were wanting to do.  You could have used the AS-Si-DB-Y cable to connect it to your console mounted Si unit but than you would lose depth reading information at any time that you brought the trolling motor out of the water.  The AS-Si-DB-Y does not change from one transducer to another; rather it hard wires the 2D sonar from the DualBeam (or in your case US2) transducer to the unit replacing the 2D sonar from the HDSi transducer.  The 2D sonar from the HDSi transducer is no longer connected to the unit.

Using the Ethernet allows you to direct the unit to the sonar source you want: either the transducer that is plugged into the unit or through the Ethernet connection to the transducer that a second unit is using.

Now to answer your question: Yes.  That is exactly how the Ethernet connection works.  Since both units use the same model transducer and both have the same sonar capabilities: both units will be able to fully use and display the sonar information from the other unit.

Hope that clears it up some...

Offline wolfs4evr

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 04:41:28 PM »
I am sure a simple phone call would clear my mind in seconds...  lol  But I will continue to beat up these buttons on the keyboard for now and maybe eventually a light bulb will turn on in my thick skull.  I am sorry ahead of time for being a pain…

I just got my first boat a month ago so all of this is soooo new to me.  I thought I really read up ahead of time prior to being a owner so I was all full of knowledge but since have discovered I don’t know squat.  lol

A 788Ci HD on the bow would work then since it just uses 83/200 and it can get that from the 898c SI transducer.

What if I have the 898 set to 800 will the 798 still get 455 from the rear transducer or is that negated since I have the main unit set to 800?

Tom
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 05:35:42 AM by wolfs4evr »

Offline wolfs4evr

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 09:34:31 AM »
Back onto the US2/HD transducer question:

Let’s go to just one unit to simplify for now.  My 898c Si on the dash.  Reading the .pdf files on the TS3/US3 I don’t understand how the signals can be split but yet combined per se with these.  The description describes them as switches which makes me think one or the other/on or off but I am guessing that isn’t totally correct after re-reading your replies and they can be used to combine/blend multiple sources like what the AS-Si-DB-Y cable does but electronically and not permanent per se?

With these switches how do I configure them to get 2D from the bow mounted Minn Kota US2 transducer and Si/Di from the transom mounted HD transducer at the same time?

(I know and understand how this can be done with the AS-Si-DB-Y cable but not a desired way of doing it at all since I would lose 2D when the US2 is out of water.)

But then I would want to be able to get Si/Di/2D from just the transom when the TM US2 is stored.  Do I have to power the unit down when switching or is it just a matter of flipping a switch and that is it?

Do I really want to do that if that is possible?  What I mean is is something like that use full or am I wasting my time and getting in over my head in technology?  Now thinking on it if I am looking at a split screen of Sonar and Si/Di they wouldn’t match up.  There would be roughly a 17 foot difference in data due to the transducers being on opposite ends of the boat.  It would be nice to know the depth at the bow where I am at and have sonar data at the spot I am standing but if I am wanting to look at the multiple view screens it would be technically old data plus new data on the screen which I can see could lead to confusion.

If all of my guesses/assumptions are correct and what I understand is correct maybe I might just be better off going with whatever I choose to buy on the bow hooked up to the US2 and the 898 hooked to the transom with a Ethernet cable between them and if I want to see Sonar from the bow select it via the Ethernet settings and just skip being able to view Si/Di at the same time.  Way simpler for sure.  If I go down that road for simplicity do I have to change the settings on both units every time I do that?  Or can I just select US2 from the front unit and be good to go?

Sorry again for being a pain...  Hopefully all of my garble helps out others as dense as me :)

Tom

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 11:37:42 AM »
I am sure a simple phone call would clear my mind in seconds...  lol  But I will continue to beat up these buttons on the keyboard for now and maybe eventually a light bulb will turn on in my thick skull.  I am sorry ahead of time for being a pain…

I just got my first boat a month ago so all of this is soooo new to me.  I thought I really read up ahead of time prior to being a owner so I was all full of knowledge but since have discovered I don’t know squat.  lol

A 788Ci HD on the bow would work then since it just uses 83/200 and it can get that from the 898c SI transducer.

What if I have the 898 set to 800 will the 798 still get 455 from the rear transducer or is that negated since I have the main unit set to 800?

Tom

Sorry Tom but I have been on vacation with the family and not real far from you (Yellowstone is closer to you than Eufaula, Alabama!).

Yes the 788ci HD would work on the bow and the 898c Si’s HDSi transducer will work for both the 200kHz and the 83kHz.

Not sure what will happen as I have not tried this myself, but I suspect that you would not get any Si data.  Let me ask around about this.  Maybe someone on the forum has tried this and will post back.

Offline wolfs4evr

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 11:57:42 AM »
I did end up getting a 798 and am happy with it.  Only been out once since the purchase of a second unit for the bow and forgot to see what happens if I select 800 on the console 898 up front on the 798.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 12:03:09 PM by wolfs4evr »

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 11:58:15 AM »
Back onto the US2/HD transducer question:

Let’s go to just one unit to simplify for now.  My 898c Si on the dash.  Reading the .pdf files on the TS3/US3 I don’t understand how the signals can be split but yet combined per se with these.  The description describes them as switches which makes me think one or the other/on or off but I am guessing that isn’t totally correct after re-reading your replies and they can be used to combine/blend multiple sources like what the AS-Si-DB-Y cable does but electronically and not permanent per se?

With these switches how do I configure them to get 2D from the bow mounted Minn Kota US2 transducer and Si/Di from the transom mounted HD transducer at the same time?

(I know and understand how this can be done with the AS-Si-DB-Y cable but not a desired way of doing it at all since I would lose 2D when the US2 is out of water.)

But then I would want to be able to get Si/Di/2D from just the transom when the TM US2 is stored.  Do I have to power the unit down when switching or is it just a matter of flipping a switch and that is it?

Do I really want to do that if that is possible?  What I mean is is something like that use full or am I wasting my time and getting in over my head in technology?  Now thinking on it if I am looking at a split screen of Sonar and Si/Di they wouldn’t match up.  There would be roughly a 17 foot difference in data due to the transducers being on opposite ends of the boat.  It would be nice to know the depth at the bow where I am at and have sonar data at the spot I am standing but if I am wanting to look at the multiple view screens it would be technically old data plus new data on the screen which I can see could lead to confusion.

If all of my guesses/assumptions are correct and what I understand is correct maybe I might just be better off going with whatever I choose to buy on the bow hooked up to the US2 and the 898 hooked to the transom with a Ethernet cable between them and if I want to see Sonar from the bow select it via the Ethernet settings and just skip being able to view Si/Di at the same time.  Way simpler for sure.  If I go down that road for simplicity do I have to change the settings on both units every time I do that?  Or can I just select US2 from the front unit and be good to go?

Sorry again for being a pain...  Hopefully all of my garble helps out others as dense as me :)

Tom

Tom,
Without opening the switch up and doing some rewiring; there is no way to use the transducer switches to combine sonar from multiple transducers.  The transducer switches are just that: switches.  Either one or the other transducers are connected to the unit.

Without surgery or making a custom cable; I don’t think that you could configure your system up so that your console mounted 898c Si unit could use the 2D sonar from either the US2 or its own HDSi transducer while also showing the Si/Di sonar from the HDSi transducer but this would take multiple transducer/unit switches to do so.  With the cables and switches we now offer you could either have the 2D sonar from the US2 transducer and Si sonar from the HDSi transducer OR have both the 2D and the Si sonar come from the HDSi transducer.  Using a second Ethernet connected unit at the bow would allow you to change to display either the 2D and Si sonar from the HDSi transducer to the (Ethernet connected) 2D sonar (only) from the US2 transducer.

When using the transducer switch you do not have to power the unit down.  In fact all you have to do is toggle the switch without changing any menu setting on the 898 unit itself.  Now if you want to view the US2 2D sonar on the 898c Si unit via the Ethernet connection, then you have to make the appropriate change in the Ethernet menus but you do not have to power the unit down.

“If all of my guesses/assumptions are correct and what I understand is correct maybe I might just be better off going with whatever I choose to buy on the bow hooked up to the US2 and the 898 hooked to the transom with a Ethernet cable between them and if I want to see Sonar from the bow select it via the Ethernet settings and just skip being able to view Si/Di at the same time.  Way simpler for sure.  If I go down that road for simplicity do I have to change the settings on both units every time I do that?  Or can I just select US2 from the front unit and be good to go?”

All you would have to do is make the change in the 898c Si unit’s Ethernet menu to change to the US2 transducer’s 2D sonar (and back to the HDSi transducer’s sonar).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo