Author Topic: what battery to use for my birds  (Read 7900 times)

Offline lester547

• Unit(s): 997 & 788
  • Accessories: INTERLINK
what battery to use for my birds
« on: December 15, 2009, 01:54:36 PM »
I just bought a 997 and 788, i was wondering what you alls recommendations on batteies were. I have a three bank set up, two deep cycle for TM and 1 for cranking. I was told that I should use a deep cycle for cranking and running my birds. Or would a Starting battery be just as good.  Whats some good makes and sizes? All comments are appreciated.

Offline Carver

• CNC carving and Pattern making
  • Unit(s): 398 and 998 si on kayaks
  • Software: 570
  • Accessories: weathersense
Re: what battery to use for my birds
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 12:41:35 PM »
I think everything you have is overkill for the birds.   I run a 997 with dual transducers on a 12v / 10 AH deer feeder battery all day in my kayak with no problems.

In a power boat I would be reluctant to hook anything up to my battery used for starting the main engine.

Congrats on the great toys !

Phill
Phill Pittman ---- Rogue Kayak Angler

Offline soretoe

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 05:52:52 PM »
Your "Birds" should be connected to youir cranking battery. The deep cycle batteries should be used for your trolling motor only. If you connect the Humminbird units to the deep cycle batteries the trolling motor has a better chance to cause interference on your units. I have two units on my boat, both are connected to the cranking battery and do not over drain it. I do not know of many people that would run their cranking battery down from their fish finders. Every time you start the big motor your battery is charging. Performing regular maintenance on all batteries will extend their lives.
Freedom isnt free, if you want to know the real cost visit a national cemetery or VA Hospital.

I can also be found at;
http://allatoonabass.proboards.com/

Offline George

• Unit(s): 2 - Solix 15s AutoChart Pro 1198
  • Software: Always up todate
  • Accessories: SI on Transom and Trolling Motor
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 07:31:30 PM »
I agree with Soretoe, when I hooked up to the deep cycle I did get interference from the trolling motor, when hooked up to the cranking battery I do not get any interference. 

George

Offline lester547

• Unit(s): 997 & 788
  • Accessories: INTERLINK
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 11:34:31 AM »
thanks for advise, but i was talking about having a three deep cycle system. two for trolling motor ONLY and the third for big motor and my units. I talked to some marine battery dealers and they said it would be fine to do that, and they said that u do not want to use a starting battery for prolonged accessories, like fish finders. and that third deep cycle will work fine for cranking as well. thanks
P.S.
Im so dang confused on the stories im getting, i dont know what to buy, I just want to start my boat no problems, run my new humminbirds all day without a problem. which by the way i am having a problem NOW, with my starting batt, going dead, while running two mid-size lowrances. HELP. This is why im getting a new battery for my new HBs.

Offline George

• Unit(s): 2 - Solix 15s AutoChart Pro 1198
  • Software: Always up todate
  • Accessories: SI on Transom and Trolling Motor
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 02:44:51 PM »
lester547

If you want to use a deep cycle battery as a cranking battery it probably works ok to use it for both cranking and your Humminbird, however; why would you spend the extra money on a deep cycle battery.  I do not know if there is a benefit using a deep cycle battery for cranking.

George

Offline soretoe

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 03:14:53 PM »
Deep cycle batteries will not last any longer if you use them as a cranking battery. If you purchase one just for your accessories, like your Humminbird units and only for the accessories then it will work OK. But you are spending money that you don't need to spend. Just purchase a good quality, high ampherehour cranking battery and then perform regular maintenance on it and it will out last any deep cycle. My batteries last about three to 4 years each. I clean all connections every couple of months. There is also some contact protection that you can apply over the connections after cleaning and you will have no problems from your batteries. While cleaning connections, don't forget to clean the other ends of the cranking battery wires in your motor if you can access them. If you ignore them you might have starting problems.
Freedom isnt free, if you want to know the real cost visit a national cemetery or VA Hospital.

I can also be found at;

Offline Carver

• CNC carving and Pattern making
  • Unit(s): 398 and 998 si on kayaks
  • Software: 570
  • Accessories: weathersense
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 08:32:31 PM »
I never considered interference from other electrical sources as I don't get to contend with it.  I stand corrected.  I was just looking at supply / demand.

Soretoe, I like your tag line about the vets.  You will probably appreciate our Kayak fishing group. :

http://www.heroesonthewater.org/   We take vets out of the VA hospitals kayak fishing and have been having some very nice surprise results.  We are up to 17 chapters nationally.

Take care, Phill
Phill Pittman ---- Rogue Kayak Angler

Offline soretoe

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 09:12:00 PM »
Soretoe, I like your tag line about the vets.  You will probably appreciate our Kayak fishing group. :

http://www.heroesonthewater.org/   We take vets out of the VA hospitals kayak fishing and have been having some very nice surprise results.  We are up to 17 chapters nationally.

Take care, Phill

That is a great thing that you do. We are in the process of building a fishing dock on my home lake for handicapped vets.

I can also be found at;

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo