Side Imaging Forums > Helix Series Units

Will HB Helix be out classed by Lowrance Elite Ti this year?

(1/3) > >>

October1:
I know that's a strong statement, but I think it's a legitimate one and it drives me nuts that HB dose not have side imaging "mosaic live" on all it's Helix models (or even one of them) when it's competitions comparable units (Lorwance Elite Ti series) has the same feature in "Structure Map" (also savable as a navigable base map) and this is no small feature. In fact I think Bruce Samson sums it up when he says this feature is the future of mapping. Yet HB still makes it much more expensive to do the same thing and in a much less user friendly way then the Elite Ti dose. Possibly because they don't want let go of their desire to make their expensive Auto Chart Pro software somewhat desirable. I can buy an Elite Ti with a 9" screen cheaper than I can buy an HB Helix 7 with the $250 Auto Chart Pro software which requires the use of a computer.

So feature for feature I can get more screen and a more user friendly unit for less money by going with Lowrance. I have been waiting for HB to catch up to Lowrance in bang for the buck but whatever reason they refused to do it last year except for their top of the line units. I was super close to pulling the trigger last year on a Helix 7 last year but decided I couldn't be without something I think is such an important feature.

I WANT to buy HB because of a few things like being made in the USA, but they are making it hard. I really hope they add it to the Helix 7 this year but I do't have much faith in them.

So what do you guys think? Will HB catch up to Lowrance this year when it comes to this feature? If so I will be all over it. If not I may have to finally jump ship (sadly).

October1:
Nobody? No opinions, guesses or rumors of what HB will be doing this year?

rnvinc:
This is the only "leak" of new as of now  ...

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=874301

Rickie

October1:
Thanks Rickie. I will be looking for the announcement tomorrow. It doesn't sound too promising to me though since I was looking for more features built in. Specifically Mosaic Live.

Adding another name to the family may be a great thing (I'm sure it will be or they wouldn't have done it) but I'm really hoping they will add more bang for the buck compared to their main competition (Lowrance).

October1:
Well that was a disappointment. So far it looks like their biggest accomplishment for 2018 will be the addition of a $2,300 10" Solix. They keep this up and Lowrance will have caught them with their pants down and will have a chance to gain a lot of ground on HB IMHO. I'm trying to hold out hope for something great yet this year since it is early yet, but I have been having a bad feeling about this year and right now it's not looking real special. I like Kevin and all (I remember when he was fishing the local lakes around here before going pro), but very disappointing thus far.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version