Side Imaging Forums > 898c SI

898C SI Sonar Screen is Snowy

(1/3) > >>

BrianO:
Over the past season, might be 2 seasons, my 898 sonar display has been getting an increasing quantity of noise/snow from top to bottom.  Basically dark pixels spread somewhat uniformly from top to bottom.  Depth readings are OK.  Bottom view appears normal, meaning where I expect a drop off, or sand bar its there.  I still mark fish, but it's getting much harder to read.

My use is salt water only.  No electric trolling motor, and no history of motor noise showing up on the screen.  I've had this unit since 2012.  I cannot be 100% be sure, but I think I get the snow both drifting with the motor off & trolling.  My built in to the transducer temperature sensor displays temperatures that are maybe 20 degrees colder than the actual temp.

Naturally, ::) I've decided to deal with this now that the boat is out of the water until spring.  I don't have pictures of the display, and I do not know anyone with a Humminbird setup for me to put the unit on for a comparison.  I'm thinking the transducer is going bad, but would like some other opinions before I order a new one.  Would hate to order, install & find the problem is not solved.

Any help is appreciated,
Thanks

rnvinc:
Have you tried Restore Defaults  ...??

Does the unit have the latest software version  ...??
https://www.humminbird.com/faqDetail.aspx?id=3648

Is the issue only on the 2d display  ...?? SI and DI showing any anomalies  ...??

Rickie

fshndude:
Since I live here on the coast of Va./NC, have you tried to use some electrical contact cleaner on ALL of your terminals? DON'T use or push anything into any of the female terminals. On the males you can use a tooth brush and clean them gently. Then use some Dielectric grease on all terminals. In the automotive world we have all kinds of problems with corrosion, fretting of our terminals. Just might help.

BrianO:
Have the latest software.

I think it may only be on the 2D display.  I seldom use the DI or SI, but I don't recall any issues.

Cleaning the contacts is a good idea. 

I tried cleaning the temp sensor in the transducer, but it didn't help.  I previously had a 797C2SI, and that temp failed too, but there were no other issues, so I didn't worry about it.

fshndude:
As a after thought, cycle the connector with the cleaner on the terminals.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version