Author Topic: What is Low-cost Side Scan Sonar Habitat Mapping?  (Read 16603 times)

Offline Adam Kaeser

• Unit(s): 981c SI
What is Low-cost Side Scan Sonar Habitat Mapping?
« on: March 25, 2010, 04:55:48 PM »
Thom Litts and I at the Georgia Department of Natural Resources have worked over the last 3 years to develop the software tools, techniques, and training necessary to generate recitified sonar image maps from HSI screen snapshot images exclusively within the ArcGIS environment.  These sonar image maps can then be used to develop full-coverage, spatially detailed habitat maps of lotic and lentic aquatic systems.  Some of our work has been published, or will shortly appear, in the scientific literature.  We offer comprehensive, not-for-profit instructional workshops on our method of low-cost side scan sonar mapping, the next offering will be at the Sept 2010 meeting in Pittsburgh PA of the American Fisheries Society.  If interested in these techniques we encourage you to have a look at the attached poster and consider attending this workshop.  We'll post additional info on the Pittsburgh meeting as it becomes available.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 04:57:11 PM by Adam Kaeser »
Sounding is believing

Offline George

• Unit(s): 2 - Solix 15s AutoChart Pro 1198
  • Software: Always up todate
  • Accessories: SI on Transom and Trolling Motor
Re: What is Low-cost Side Scan Sonar Habitat Mapping?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 09:43:15 AM »
Adam

Welcome to the forum, please keep us posted on your findings.  We are all interested in learning more about SI and what it can do.  Your chart appears to be a linear regression analysis, what is the correlation coefficient?

George
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 10:02:06 AM by George »

Offline Adam Kaeser

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 11:44:31 AM »
The regression lines are fitted to actual counts of large woody debris/material versus sonar estimates of large woody debris from randomized stream reaches.  We typically get high correlations between these values, with R2 ranging from ~0.75 to nearly 1.0.  We have a research paper published on mapping woody debris, I will look into the possibility of posting it. 

Range setting highly influences the amount of LWD apparent in sonar imagery, the lower the setting the more wood that is present is likely to be visible in imagery.  Many other factors associated with the position, quantity and arrangment of wood, in addition to the imaging environment in the field, affect resolution of woody material.

Adam
Sounding is believing

Offline Rickard

• Unit(s): 999, 981, M37, LowBird-1, LowBird-2
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 12:17:26 PM »
Hi, all folks who believe statistics is a way to tell the truth... ;)

The correlations should be the square roots of the Coefficients of determination (R2). I couldn't resist doing some statistical testings on the data in the figure "Sonar Estimates of LWD". I did it because it struck me I could merge a screen shot from the PDF in Paint and use the Paint coordinates as data for the analysis in SPSS. It doesn't matter the scale is different from the original as all values are transformed linearly.

All three correlations between "Actual LWD within reach" and the acquisition methods are significant on at least the 5% level.

A repeated measures ANOVA showed significant effect of acquisition method (F(2,10) = 24.516, p = .00014). Post-Hoc tests with Bonferroni's correction showed that Rear-mount raw gave significantly lower estimates of LWD than the other two methods. However, Front-mount raw and Front-mount transformed did not differ. Thus, the impression from the figure is confirmed by the statistical tests.

I know this doesn't make sense to people who are not experts on statistics and I did it just because I gave lectures on these methods last week and thought it could be a nice way to combine work with pleasure (anything that has a connection to SI means pleasure  :)). The guys in Georgia probably doesn't need my help and they might find flaws in my method...

The subject is of course very important to all of us who use our units to find things like wrecks, corpses, fish, weapons etc!

Rickard

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 12:28:41 PM »
Man does my brain hurt.  or is it now fried.   ::) :P ;D  I am curious about how small of a target can be imaged?   Will this indeed map bodies? Is there a size limitation for targets?  Will this be useful in missing persons searches or drowning victims ?       Chuck   

Offline diver651

• Unit(s): 1197, 1198
  • Software: 6.47
  • Accessories: Interlink, Aux Speed/Temp,
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 12:49:46 PM »
Chuck,

Are you referring to the HB units, or the work Adam is doing?

If you are asking about the HB units;

The minimum size of a displayable target on the unit screen will be impacted by the range you are searching due to the pixel size of the screen. The units are quite capable of imaging a body, as I have done so already. I even have scans of vehicles with the top torn off that the steering wheel can be identified.

Of course the actual image quality will depend on the speed of the boat, how stable the boat is, and how clean the water is under the transducer, the depth, and the range you are trying to cover in one pass.

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 12:51:11 PM »
I am asking about what Adam is doing.  I understand the HB but am looking for the next level of search with outside programs.    chuck

Offline George

• Unit(s): 2 - Solix 15s AutoChart Pro 1198
  • Software: Always up todate
  • Accessories: SI on Transom and Trolling Motor
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 04:24:24 PM »
Rickard

Statistics is a two edge sword, those that want to, can make stat say pretty much anything they want to.  Politicians mis-use statistics all the time to make us think there is validity to their information.

Saying that when iit is done in earnest you can usually take it to the bank with confidence.  I have spent 37 years in the quality arena and statistics has been a necessity.  So what Adam is saying with correlation coefficiency close to 1.0 is as good as it gets.

George

Offline Adam Kaeser

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 05:18:26 PM »
For more information on our mapping study of large woody debris and logs using the Humminbird SI system you can use this link to access the American Fisheries Society webpage:

http://www.fisheries.org/afs/publications_fisheries.html

Scroll down and click on the December 2008 Issue, which should appear as a full color pdf that can be downloaded.

In response to Chuck, what we are doing is mosaicking and rectifying the imagery entirely within ESRI's ArcGIS 9.x software.  The output (product) is similar to that of other softwares mentioned elsewhere in the forum (e.g., MIPS, MB systems, Deep Vision, and others), except that the mosaics are produced from the screen snapshots and not the sonar recording files.  As far as search and recovery is concerned, taking the time for post processing of mosaics and mapping may or may not be of interest depending on your objectives.  Target separation and all the other aspects of object resolution are determined by conditions in the field, settings on the control head, and mission execution, not much changes (in terms of object resolution) as a result of geoprocessing the data, except of course to dimensionally correct the raw (i.e., distorted) sonar imagery and put all of this incredible information into its proper geographic context which, in turn, opens up a world of research possibilities.  The wood study referenced above does not cover image geoprocessing and mapping of features like substrate with these new techniques.  We're about to have another article appear that describes these applications in particular, and I will make that available when it does.
Sounding is believing

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 05:49:55 PM »
Adam, thanks a bunch.  It seemed that you were mapping a larger area and that the area displayed is over all look at habitat.  Keep posting with what you can as the pictures you have should be of great interest to the fishing community.   chuck

Offline Adam Kaeser

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 11:17:59 AM »
We are pleased to announce the publication of a scientific article demonstrating and evaluating our technique for low-cost side scan sonar habitat mapping.  The article can be accessed and downloaded as a pdf at:

http://www.fisheries.org/afs/publications_fisheries.html

Click on the April 2010 issue.
Journal cover image attached.

Adam

ila_rendered
Sounding is believing

Offline Chiboo

• SpearFishing
  • Unit(s): Solix 10 MSI+ G3
  • Software: 4.130
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 03:58:14 PM »
Good fellows, excellent work!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo