Author Topic: Newbie With Some Questions  (Read 3517 times)

Offline tr7

• Unit(s): 999HD SI Combo, 899HD SI Combo
  • Accessories: I-Link
Newbie With Some Questions
« on: May 22, 2014, 04:41:12 AM »
Let me start by saying I'm glad I now have access to this site, but at the same time I'm not. Wow am I confused.

I recently purchased a new boat and with that new electronics. My old boat had a di unit so I'm kind of familiar with that, but this si world is all new to me. I have a 999ci hd si on the dash and a 899ci hd si on the bow. I traded in the i-pilot for the i-link and had all three items linked together. I've only had the boat out twice and until yesterday nothing was linked together as my dealer was waiting for some parts. Now I'm leaving for a week long trip this Saturday and am in need of some help.

I have registered both units and both have the option to upgrade to the 7.02 software. With all of this being linked together do I need to update these in a special way? I read something on the interlink system and having to unplug and replug then put the card in, etc. is this the system I have and the procedure I need to follow?

I have some .gpx coordinates on my PC and would like to upload the onto these units as they pertain to the lake I will be fishing. What's the best way to go about this?

Aside from you tube videos what does everyone recommend for quick instructionals that will allow me to learn this technology enough to be dangerous. I'm not too concerned with the side imaging as I feel comfortable enough to start using that, but where can I find the best info on using the trolling motor with all of these options?

I apologize for the length of this post and for all of the questions. Like I said I think I'm more confused now than I ever was. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Tyler

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: Newbie With Some Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 11:16:38 AM »
Welcome to the Humminbird Side Imaging Forums Tyler.

I hate that you are trying to take this on days before a week-long trip but we can hopefully provide some answers for you.

Software updates: What software version is each unit running now?
Unless you just need to, I would not update your units or the i-Pilot Link just days before going on a trip.  If something goes wrong you may not be able to use that piece of equipment for your trip.  If it all works okay now I would leave it until you return.  The 7.020 software update added support for the AutoChart maps, Ethernet sonar sharing (which you should already have been able to do with the 899/999 units), and some fixes for the using with the i-Pilot Link system.  I would read through these to see if these are any that you need fixing at this time and then decide to update or wait.  If you update the units to the 7.020 software, you will also have to update your i-Pilot Link to the 2.020/2.050 version software.  Either unit can be used to update the software on the i-Pilot Link Controller and Remote, there are directions on how to do this on the Humminbird web site.

When you update the units I would take all map/memory cards out of them, disconnect the Ethernet cable, reset the units to the factory defaults and make sure that the software update file for that unit is the only one on the memory card I use.  I would also rest to the factory defaults afterwards as well.

You will need to use the HumminbirdPC program to upload the *.GPX file of waypoints to an MMC/SD/SDHC memory card before installing it in the unit.

I think that Doug Vahrenberg’s YouTube videos are about the best option for learning to use the i-Pilot Link along with your units though I’ve not watched Dr. Jason Halfen’s vidieos yet.
http://www.jasonhalfenoutdoors.com/LinkIndex.html

No apology needed for the length of your post, I just hope that I have not further confused you (especially with the software update part – it’s just confusing right now).
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline tr7

• Unit(s): 999HD SI Combo, 899HD SI Combo
  • Accessories: I-Link
Re: Newbie With Some Questions
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 11:01:07 PM »
Greg, I wanted to thank you for your reply. I watched Doug's videos and was able to learn quite a bit. I know I still have a ways to go, but I think I'm on the right track at least. Initially I bought the Technical Angler and have to say it was no help at all. I'm glad I found this forum! Thanks again.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo