Author Topic: 598ci HD SI First Outing  (Read 10299 times)

Offline rkersh409

598ci HD SI First Outing
« on: April 23, 2014, 12:24:16 AM »
I was wondering if this shot might have some fish on the port side? Or is it rocks?

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: 598ci HD SI First Outing
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 11:42:58 AM »
Hard to tell…
The fisherman inside me says: “FISH, go get’em boy!” But the skeptic in me says: “Dude, its rocks…”.  There are no shadows to speak of so if they are fish they are close to the bottom or I’m just not seeing them.  The elongated shape of some of them does look like fish though.  Its best to try and image something from multiple angles and with a smaller SI Range setting so that you can see any details better.  Setting the 598ci HD Si unit to show only the Left Si sonar beam would help show the Si sonar detail.

Any chance that you got this on a sonar recording?  You could use different menu setting when you look at it again on the unit (or on a PC with the appropriate program) and maybe tell more. 
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline rkersh409

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 01:36:27 PM »
No I didn't get it on a recording and a screen shot is all I got. Didn't know how to record at this time, still learning how to use the unit. Sounds like its a good idea to just start recording when you launch and stop whey you load up? How does the pic look? Need to make any changes other then the side image range?

Don't think it would be rocks because I was in a river that doesn't have rocks in it. But could be man made. Thinking it would be some catfish, at least that's what i'm telling myself.

Offline Bob B

• Unit(s): 1197c si, 1198c si
  • Software: 6.310, 6.490
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 02:23:31 PM »
Looks like they are in a soft bottom area, which lessens it's rocks....I'd vote fish.
**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 02:31:12 PM »
Softer area or a depression area Bob?  I was thinking depression area.  Running the boat over that spot with the 2D sonar would tell us for sure.

Okay rkersh, you are using your knowledge of the body of water you were on to help determine what is down there.  Rivers with no rocks or lots of silt would lead me to believe these are fish than.

Settings on the image look good, but I would still try and go back and make some menu changes to the Si Enhance menus.  You can do this with a sonar recording or just by moving the cursor to activate it and make your menu adjustments while on the water.  A lot of the menu settings are user preference related, for example if I am looking for fish (as opposed to structure) I will use different menu settings.  If I want to look at something in more detail I use different settings – basically I’m a button pusher!

Offline newkid4si

• Unit(s): 998c si
  • Software: v 5.70
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 10:55:56 PM »
" Sounds like its a good idea to just start recording when you launch and stop whey you load up"

Yes and No.

Yes... Once you start reviewing recordings in a product like HumViewer, you will really see what these units are capable of. All the raw data is recorded to your
            SD card. HumViewer allows you to change the speed of the recording, go forward-stop-or go backwards, look left only-both- or right only, change
            color palettes, SI range, depth range, look at SI-2D-and boat path at the same time, crop to/from in SI, etc. etc... all on a 27" screen ( in my case)
            instead of the unit screen size, in the comfort of your home. Or if you want, take a laptop with you in the boat. Review the SD card in it. It is truly
            amazing how much additional information you will see.

No.... If you start recording at launch and stop at load up, you'll only do that once. The reason is the recording will likely never load in the player.
           I have found that about 20 minutes makes a good recording length. Start record-record for 20 minutes-stop record, then immediately start to next
           20 minute recording.

Mike

Offline rkersh409

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 11:12:22 PM »
Thanks guys for all the help.

It could be both soft bottom and going into deeper water. It was in a bend of the river and I was pretty close to the bank on the starboard side. And off to the port side it could have been dropping off into deeper water. Far as I know the river is mostly sand but could be silted in. I will go back out there this weekend to play around some more and I will go by that area again to see what it is.

Mike, I have been playing around with Humminbird PC and HumViewer. It’s amazing at all the things you can do with both. I wish you could lighten or darken the screen in HumViewr to make it a little easier to see. I will start the 20 minute recordings next outing. Can you still take screen shots as you are recording or does it just mark a wavepoint?

Offline newkid4si

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 11:30:36 PM »
I learned the hard way NOT to make a screen shot while recording. It will trash your recording. Make your screen shot in HumViewer or stop the recording,
make your snapshot and start the recording again. I don't know the answer about making a waypoint.

Mike

Offline rkersh409

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 12:15:18 AM »
I learned the hard way NOT to make a screen shot while recording. It will trash your recording.

What happens to the recordings? So If I want to mark a wavepoint I need to stop recording, hit the mark button (which takes a screen shot and marks wavepoint) then start another recording. That’s odd!

Greg could you explain why this is?

Offline newkid4si

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 12:30:48 AM »
Been awhile since I've done it, but I think Greg said that the unit can't write to the the SD card and the internal memory at the same time.
The internal memory may take priority and not stop/end the recording correctly. Hope Greg will respond later.

My mistake. While reading one of Greg's other post, I see that the unit writes the snapshot/waypoint to the SD card if installed and enabled.

Mike
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 12:57:01 AM by newkid4si »

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 10:48:05 AM »
But the unit can only write to the SD card one file at a time.  So if you are making a sonar recording the unit is busy writing to the memory card and cannot also save a screen snapshot.  Its one or the other, not both - but you can make a screen snapshot while you are reviewing the sonar recording on your unit.

Offline rkersh409

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 10:55:12 AM »
Thanks Greg for the follow up. What about saving a wavepoint while recording, since its saved to internal memory.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 12:46:45 PM »
Yes you should be able to do that.

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 10:07:42 PM »
Thanks guys for all the help.

It could be both soft bottom and going into deeper water. It was in a bend of the river and I was pretty close to the bank on the starboard side. And off to the port side it could have been dropping off into deeper water. Far as I know the river is mostly sand but could be silted in. I will go back out there this weekend to play around some more and I will go by that area again to see what it is.

Mike, I have been playing around with Humminbird PC and HumViewer. It’s amazing at all the things you can do with both. I wish you could lighten or darken the screen in HumViewr to make it a little easier to see. I will start the 20 minute recordings next outing. Can you still take screen shots as you are recording or does it just mark a wavepoint?

Right click on any of the panes in Humviewer and a popup list will appear that has tools for adjusting the image in that pane...

Rickie

Offline slabbacks

• Is it Friday yet!
  • Unit(s): 898c HD SI / 859ci HD
  • Software: 6.490
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 10:18:44 PM »
Bob I think you spot on in reference to the fish on that soft bottom.  Seeing those longer dots says fish to me.  Now what they are is another story lol

hope ya get a boat load
Tell them I've gone fishing!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo