Other Interest > DIY - Side Scan Sonar and towfish

Interfacing a HB with the Lowrance LSS-2.

(1/25) > >>

Rickard:
Hi,

I can report the Lowrance HD LSS-2 transducer can be used with a HB unit, at least with my 981. The LSS-2 makes it possible to get narrow SI beams, as narrow as with a "Doubleducer", but with less work, lower cost and probably with better over-all performance than what's possible with a homemade Doubleducer.

There is one complication, the LSS-2 has no downward 200 kHz channel. HB SI units use depth to control ping rate in the SI channels so the LSS-2 must be supplemented with a 200 kHz depth sensing transducer (almost all HB transducers can provide that). (Maybe there is a Y-cable that can facilitate the combining of the 200 kHz and SI/LSS-2 transducer?). The LSS-2 cannot be operated at 262 kHz, but it wouldn't come as a surprise if it can be used at 800 kHz, even if that's not stated in the manual. (I can't test at 800 kHz with my old 981.)

I couldn't get any wiring diagram or pin layout for the LSS-2, but some simple tests were all that was needed. I have indicated the function of the pins in the image. There are two ground pins with unclear function. One could be ground for temp and the other is probably a shield ground. None of the ground pins are needed to get SI work. Two pins are for the DI-channel, I don't use them either. Only the pin pairs for left and right SI channel must be used.

I have tested for one hour with a provisional arrangement and with the transducers hanging from a quay. I will be back with results from real scanning and with comparisons with the standard SI transducers.

Disclaimer: I can't guarantee there is no risk for damaging a unit. Anyone who tries this must do it at his/her own risk.

Added: My former reservation on the function of the upper, middle pin is withdrawn. That pin is positive temp, as indicated in the image. The ground pins should be connected to ground in the HB system. Testing showed this reduced noise to a noticable extent. The reason for two separate grounds is still not known.

Rickard

Roddy:
Rickard, Hummmmmm I might try this with my old 987. Thanks for the pin out. post some screen shots!

Roddy

Bob B:
Rickard, Thanks a lot for the info.....knew you could figure it out.

I've got too many things in the works right now to give this a try, but will be eagerly waiting to see your scan comparisons and may do the project when I get time.

LocDown:
also waiting for results :)

offroad:
 ;D ;D ;D +1

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version