Author Topic: 898 PROBLEMS...  (Read 8550 times)

Offline Double Digit

• Unit(s): 998 c si...Navionics Platinum +
  • Software: 6.180
898 PROBLEMS...
« on: April 23, 2011, 12:09:38 AM »
Hi guys well something is going on with my unit and I'm afraid I'm gonna have to send it in to humminbird to be fixed,Here's whats going on.Today i got my SD card so after dinner i updated the software in the unit.I restored the unit to the factory settings,Put in the SD card everything went as it should.I haven't installed it on my boat yet was gonna do it this weekend.... >:D.....So after the update I'm playin with the simulator when i noticed that when i turned on the AUTO sensitivity option in the down scan view the unit started to bug out.It was freezing, skippin, blinking,flashing on and off just going CRAZY...So i tried to turn it off and try again but the same thing keeps hapining.If i turn off the auto setting it will act normal but the screen isn't moving across the screen nice and smooth now its like notchy...If i turn on auto in down view there it goes again its like my unit is having a seizer......I have no idea what happened but it was absolutely because of the update....I am just so disgusted right now... :'(....Does anybody have any ideas or am i HOSED....?I have a bad feeling I'm gonna have to send it to humminbird.How exactly do i  go about getting them to fix this and is it gonna take a long time?

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
Re: 898 PROBLEMS...
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 12:15:36 PM »
DD, I seem to recall another post on the forum about the same thing. It has to do with the auto setting. As long as you dont use that it will work ok.  We are hoping HB will fix this bug along with others in the code...
Try search tab at the top of main menu and see if the other report of this is out there also...
I think this is the link..
http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?topic=2259.msg12641#msg12641
Chuck
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 12:16:55 PM by sonar2000 »

Offline Double Digit

• Unit(s): 998 c si...Navionics Platinum +
  • Software: 6.180
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 11:34:43 PM »
Chuck your right that's the same problem i had.Humminbird should tell everybody that there might be a problem with the update ,I would have never installed it if i thought this would happen.I still haven't installed the unit on my boat yet so today i got so disgusted tryin to fix it  that i just packed everything up  and went straight back to dicks and got my money back.I came home logged onto an online store and ordered the 998c unit...LOL... :P...Ive had nothin but problems been through 2 898 units  and Ive yet to have one on my boat ...So what do i do i drop 400 more bucks on a 998 unit....My wife wants to ring my neck,But even know Ive had all these problems when it was working good before the update i just love these units.So now when i get my 998 what do i do?Do i update it or not?.....I'm gonna be scare crap to update this one.What do you think?What happened when you updated yours?It sounds like most guys updated their units with no trouble it doesn't make much sense..I want to update i noticed that after the update my unit had more options.Well i hope humminbird figures out whats up.....

Offline Moose1am

• Unit(s): 898c si
  • Software: 6.610
  • Accessories: SDHC 8 GB SanDisk Extreme III
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 02:25:49 AM »
I got the same thing going on after I updated my 898c SI unit to the 5.410 software or firmware update

I just turned off the "Auto" Sensitivity and left it on a setting of 15 to 18.  I like to have a brighter screen so I set my sensitivity up higher.

This is a know bug with the 5.410 software on the 898 c SI units.   It's not that much of a problem for me but I do hope that they will fix it sooner rather than later.  I'd like to be able to know that I can use the Auto Sensitivity setting without getting my DI and SI screens messed up.   

If you still want to use auto sensitivity you can get around this bug by using the view and exit buttons to get the screen you want to view without the jumping screens.  If you approach the view you want from one direction and it flashes just approach that view from the other direction and it may work right. 

I have only had my boat out once since I updated so I will be playing with it some more after I get my boat's water pump replaced.   That should be sometime this week or hopefully by the weekend next.

Hi guys well something is going on with my unit and I'm afraid I'm gonna have to send it in to humminbird to be fixed,Here's whats going on.Today i got my SD card s

o after dinner i updated the software in the unit.I restored the unit to the factory settings,Put in the SD card everything went as it should.I haven't installed it on my boat yet was gonna do it this weekend.... >:D.....So after the update I'm playin with the simulator when i noticed that when i turned on the AUTO sensitivity option in the down scan view the unit started to bug out.It was freezing, skippin, blinking,flashing on and off just going CRAZY...So i tried to turn it off and try again but the same thing keeps hapining.If i turn off the auto setting it will act normal but the screen isn't moving across the screen nice and smooth now its like notchy...If i turn on auto in down view there it goes again its like my unit is having a seizer......I have no idea what happened but it was absolutely because of the update....I am just so disgusted right now... :'(....Does anybody have any ideas or am i HOSED....?I have a bad feeling I'm gonna have to send it to humminbird.How exactly do i  go about getting them to fix this and is it gonna take a long time?
Regards,

Moose1am

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 09:54:50 AM »
DD, if you can run with the auto off for a while everything else should be ok. 
The great part of this fourm is the knowledge that is shared here for problems.
While the forum does not fix code....the guys can usually figure a way to get around the problem.
I think a lot of problems are in the updates so maybe just stay with base shipped code for a while.
Also down level code  is available here also so you can go back to the original level.
Also if using just the single unit most will work ok.
there are problems with interconnect and multiple units.
Hang in here with the forum guys and they will help you most of the time..
Chuck

Offline TazzMan

• Unit(s): 788 CI, 565, 898si c
  • Accessories: Quadbeam transducer
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 06:41:14 PM »
I have learned to get the unit to work at it's best.  Everyone that has a fishfinder needs to get away from auto settings. I never use auto settings anymore.  Each day the way U fish and the type of fish U are fishing for needs a different settiing on your unit.  I have been trolling for striper and I know the my setting need to be set up to target the larger fish and weed through the little ones. i set my scroll speed to just a bit faster then my troll speed. If I am doing 2.5 mph I set my scroll speed to 3 and decress my sensitivity down so I almost don't see small fish and the bigger fish show up with good arc and color.  hope this helps.   Auto setting tend to show everything as a good fish and is usually to high.  At 35ft of water or less u set my 898c si around 10 in sensitivity.
Next time you think you are perfect try walking on water

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo