Author Topic: Navionics HotMaps Explorer  (Read 6966 times)

Offline jseasor

• Trying to learn as much as possible about SI
  • Unit(s): 1197C SI
  • Accessories: 1197SI
Navionics HotMaps Explorer
« on: May 15, 2010, 09:05:51 PM »
still having a hard time transferring my waypoints from the hotmaps explorer to my humminbird program.  i put in my chip, click on export waypoints, then a box pops up wanting me to save them somewhere, i change the file, put the "name" section is where im lost,..what do i put in there?? then when i get to humminbird im really lost. could someone please help me out, with step by step. i appreciate it..

Offline calli1

• Unit(s): 1198 S I & 787c2i
  • Accessories: XM Weather & Weather Sense
Re: Navionics HotMaps Explorer
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 11:46:23 PM »
I second your question.....

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
  • Unit(s): 1197c SI, 997c SI & 785c2
  • Software: 4.950 & 4.510
  • Accessories: Interlink & GRHA
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 08:09:57 PM »
Sorry guys.  Wish I had an answer for you, but I don't use Hotmaps Explorer.

Robert
Humminbird Guru and Forum Administrator

Wayne P.

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 08:57:57 PM »
The waypoints manually entered in Hotmaps Explorer have a .WPT file extension

Can't answer your question though.

bobcoy

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 09:36:47 PM »
It sounds like what you need to put in there is the drive letter(L: or whatever your chip is designated by your computer). Bob

Offline Wall-E-Baiter

• Unit(s): 798ci SI
  • Software: 4.7
  • Accessories: TG/TSI-6
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 10:04:44 PM »
First of all sorry to see that you spent your hard earned dollars on that worthless junk of a program. If it makes you any happier I got suckered too. Rather than spend any time trashing a bad software product, I'll try and help with loading waypoints. First of all not sure of what unit you have or of what base and or added GPS maps you are using. What I do is use the my unit (798ci) and the map I will use to mark my waypoints. I have an added power cable and a regulated 12v power supply and do all my marking at my desk. Start the unit and go into simulator mode. Navigate to the lake of your choice and mark all your waypoints. Use the "Export Nav Data" to save on your card and upload to Humminbird PC.  Highlight the waypoints that you want to see and ask HB PC to open them in Google Earth. You can verify that all is correct as to location by way of GE. I then save my waypoints in a Folder I have created In HB PC, using the name of the lake. When I am going to go to that lake I download all my waypoints to my card and install into GPS unit. Now I know that if you haven't done any of this before than this all sounds as clear as mud, but believe me if you play around with this for an hour you will be putting together waypoints of your favorite water in no time. Just got the new Lakemaster - Lake of The Woods chip and spent several hours and have 70 new waypoints of fishing structure that I have run over in previous years. Can't  wait for this years trip. Try this method and save your dollars for more GPS chips for your 'bird.  ;D

Offline jseasor

• Trying to learn as much as possible about SI
  • Unit(s): 1197C SI
  • Accessories: 1197SI
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 02:31:23 PM »
buddy from another site helped me figure this thing out. here is a step by step on transferring waypoints to your unit from navionics hotmaps explorer...using an USD card.

1. created a folder on your desktop and call it whatever you want, i called mine GPX Waypoints.
2. open up HM Explorer, when it opens, click on the square, 3rd from left up top, that says "display waypoint library".
3. when that pops up, you'll see a list of waypoints in a small pop, or your subfolders, depending on how you have them arranged.  click on the ones you want to export.
4. then click on the 2nd from the left in upper left hand corner, it says "export waypoints".  when this happens a box will appear wanting you to name the file, pick where you want to save it and you even want to change the file type here.
5. so, find the folder you made in step 1.  call it whatever you please by lake name, just waypoints, whatever, then right below the name you can select the file type, pull the tab down and select GPX waypoint...click save.
7. it may say something about selecting all, or selected waypoint, do what whatever wish.
8 now, clock out HM Explorer, go to your desktop and file the file you created it step 1. and click open.
9. you'll see the folder or the name that you used in HM explorer. lets say you named it Waypoint..it'll read in this folder as Waypoints.GPX.  now what you need to do is "right click" on the name, and rename it Waypoints.gpx ----noticed i took off the capital letters. why? Humminbird PC reads it as .gpx and HM explorer reads it in capital letters and there is a difference!!!....
10. now close that out, open up your humminbird PC, click on file, open and open the folder. you should see it appear on the left hand side of the main screen,  now you want to get it from there to your unit right?  ok..
click on the waypoint folder you want on the left side. it'll say waypoint.gpx.  then click on the arrow under the SD disk that says export waypoints..and there you have it!!! go plug in your SD card and they'll load automatically!!!

hope this helps someone

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 10:09:14 AM »
Thanks for sharing Jarred!

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Share me