Author Topic: 1198C SI sonar quality question  (Read 6161 times)

Offline tjstalb

• Unit(s): 1198C SI, and 2 898C SI's
1198C SI sonar quality question
« on: June 25, 2014, 06:48:33 PM »
[ Specified attachment is not available ] [ Specified attachment is not available ] [ Specified attachment is not available ]Hi, My name is Tommy and I am new to the forums.  I have 2 - 898C SI's and a 1198C SI.  The 1198C SI is built into the console.  I have a used triton bass boat that is 3 years old.  Originally the one 898C SI was built into the console, but I installed an 1198C SI in its place.  The 898C SI's I believe were installed by Triton since the boat is pretty new and they were built in. 

My 1198C SI is not getting good quality returns with my sonar.  I am not sure if it is a problem with something in the settings menu.  I have the high definition side imaging transducer selected and the side imaging seems to work fairly well.  I wouldn't say it is 100%, but it works pretty good.  I don't believe its the transducer location.  It is located directly below the jackplate and it was installed by Triton I believe.  I can't get any detail with my sonar screen.  Below are several pictures. 

ila_renderedila_rendered

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: 1198C SI sonar quality question
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 10:10:39 AM »
Welcome to the Humminbird Side Imaging Forums Tommy.

Can you tell us whether the 1198 unit is using just the HDSi transducer or if it is using an additional inside-the-hull DualBeam transducer and the AS-Si-DB-Y splitter cable instead?  You will have to trace back the cable going to the transducer connector on your 1198 unit to find this out,

Was there another sonar unit on when you took these screen snapshots?

Were you over a hard or soft bottom?

What other sonar related menu settings were you using?
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline tjstalb

• Unit(s): 1198C SI, and 2 898C SI's
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 09:56:18 PM »
Hey,

Thanks for the quick reply.  Sorry, I have been busy and haven't been able to get on the boat to much since posting last time.  I had it out recently, and took some pictures and got a little better understanding what I'm working with.  In the coming weeks I will be taking it out often.  I will show you the pictures of my settings.

I do have a trough hull transducer installed with a y cable.  From my understanding it is suppose to be used to show depth while on plane.  That is one other occasional problem i seem to have.  It works on plane around 80% of the time.  At times it will display a depth of 1.6ft when it is much deeper.  Is this through hull transducer also used for 2-D sonar?  I have the hi-def side-scan transducer selected.  Does the 2-D sonar display still come from the through hull transducer? 

These pictures below are all on a hard bottom.  It is mostly rock with a little sand mix.  I took several pictures in max mode and several in clear mode.  In clear mode it barely picked up the bottom.  In max mode it had trouble at lower sensitivities, and at higher sensitivities it did better, but the screen had vertical lines and did not show any detail. 

I'm really happy with the side imaging now. The transducer angle was slightly off in the past.  Also,  I really like the units.  My unit at the trolling motor works great.  The sonar is very good on that unit.

ila_rendered

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 08:21:03 AM »
Yes Tommy, when using the AS-Si-DB-Y splitter cable; all of the 2D sonar will come from the through hull transducer.

It sounds like this through hull transducer is either starting to fail or its mounting is.  One way to possibly check this is by adding water to the bilge area of your boat (you may have to disable the bilge pump for this, so don’t forget to re-enable it afterwards) and testing it out on the water again.  If this shows an improvement then you can remove and re-install the transducer.  If it shows no improvement then it really doesn’t mean anything.

If adding water to the bilge did not help, try plugging the through hull transducer directly into the 1198 unit.  If that helps then the AS-Si-DB-Y cable is bad and would need to be replaced.  If not help there try plugging the Hi-Def Side Imaging (HDSi) directly intot he 1198 unit.

The 4th, 5th and last picture you posted make it look like there is another sonar unit running at the same time.  Was there?
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo