Author Topic: Understanding SD Card and Internal Memory relationship.  (Read 8359 times)

Offline ohmitr

• Unit(s): 798ci SI
Understanding SD Card and Internal Memory relationship.
« on: September 04, 2013, 05:56:30 PM »
I have always thought that with a SD card in the unit it would save your waypoints to the card but now that I'm becoming a more advanced user that seems to not be true.  I see in the software where you can export all your waypoints etc. to the SD card.  I see where you can download the HumminbirdPC software to your computer to make editing that data easy but I can't find any way to upload it back to the head unit.  So what's the purpose of having HumminbirdPC?

Here's what got this all started.  First of all I've been playing with the unit in the garage.  I've collected a lot of waypoints from two lakes and want to organize them into two groups.  I've been able to do that just fine by following Dave Vahrenberg's instructional videos.  I can change other settings and go back to the waypoint management screen and things will be the way I left them but if I turn the unit off and back on the groups were not saved.  I've gone through the process several times making doubly sure I select "save" with always the same results.  I can export the waypoint data to the SD card and look at it with HumminbirdPC and it is the same as I left it on the unit but again I see no way to transfer the card data back to the head unit.

This isn't making sense to me and I feel like I'm just overlooking something but I can't figure out what it might be.  Any help with this would be appreciated.

Offline LittleGazoo

• Unit(s): SOLIX 15 G2, SOLIX 12 G2
  • Software: 3.640
  • Accessories: Ethernet
Re: Understanding SD Card and Internal Memory relationship.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 06:58:42 PM »
What are the software levels of HumminbirdPC and your sonar units?
HumminbirdPC currently is at 4.3.8 which is a good release.

Offline ohmitr

• Unit(s): 798ci SI
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 09:18:30 PM »
Humminbird unit is 6.3 and HumminbirdPC is 4.3.8.

Offline LittleGazoo

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 09:45:30 PM »
I have always thought that with a SD card in the unit it would save your waypoints to the card but now that I'm becoming a more advanced user that seems to not be true.  I see in the software where you can export all your waypoints etc. to the SD card.  I see where you can download the HumminbirdPC software to your computer to make editing that data easy but I can't find any way to upload it back to the head unit.  So what's the purpose of having HumminbirdPC?[\quote]
You can download to HBPC to edit your data and backup that data on your PC by making cycles of HBPC .GPX files as you make data changes.

You can upload from HBPC to a SD/MMC card that you can then use to update your data on your sonar unit.  You can upload two ways:
1) File-->Upload
2) Use the SD-card icon, green arrow(left) for upload, blue arrow(middle) for download.
Then insert this SD-card into your running sonar unit and answer prompts.

I've collected a lot of waypoints from two lakes and want to organize them into two groups.   I can change other settings and go back to the waypoint management screen and things will be the way I left them but if I turn the unit off and back on the groups were not saved.  I've gone through the process several times making doubly sure I select "save" with always the same results.  I can export the waypoint data to the SD card and look at it with HumminbirdPC and it is the same as I left it on the unit but again I see no way to transfer the card data back to the head unit.

Make sure you are in Normal Mode or Full-Simulator Mode when working in your garage.  If you are in Sales-Simulator Mode all changes are discarded.

To enter Full-Simulator press Menu during Power-On, then select Simulator Mode(this is the Full-Simulator).
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 09:47:20 PM by LittleGazoo »

Offline LittleGazoo

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 09:58:10 PM »
FYI: There are several(many) posts on this forum on HumminbirdPC, Google Earth, Gpsbabel, Gpsvisualizer and Reefmaster.
HBPC discussions include Groups, tracks, merging tracks, editing tracks, etc.

You might also be interested in the HB Waypoint Management Guide:
http://store.humminbird.cust.shopatron.com/media/document/WMG.pdf
The WMS guide is more useful than the HBPC operation manual on waypoints, routes and tracks.

It is written for WMS "on the unit", but WMS organization is available in HBPC.
"MOVE" on unit is equivalent to CUT&PASTE in HBPC.
"COPY" on unit is equivalent to COPY&PASTE in HBPC.
. . . etc.

And here's a forum post on HBPC/WMS:
http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?topic=5472.msg34363#msg34363

If you have HBPC Q's, I will try to answer.
I've "pained my way" thru some HBPC.
But HBPC is very useful software and provides back-up for your unit's navdata.

Here's the HBPC Operation Reference Manual:
http://www.humminbird.com/uploadedFiles/Humminbird/Content/Support/Product_Manuals/Help%20Guide-%20HumminbirdPC_11-17-08.pdf
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 09:58:32 AM by LittleGazoo »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo