Author Topic: spots on display  (Read 7206 times)

Offline rookiejd

• Unit(s): 898,859, Terrova, I-pilot, Ethernet
  • Accessories: gps
spots on display
« on: May 26, 2012, 09:07:45 AM »
I have a 898c SI Side Imaging unit on my Lowe Stinger Crappie 175 boat. I installed the unit in the winter and began using it this spring. I have had some of the typical issues that others have had that I have read about on this forum, settings,  transducers issues etc. I am now getting what looks like water spots on my display. I cannot clean them off so I am assuming that they are actually on the underside or inside if you will, of the display. I have been well pleased overall with the unit but I am concerned that this is going to spread and cause me major problems. I keep the boat inside and I keep the unit covered and protected when not in use. I would like to hear from anyone who has had similar issues. Thanks.

Offline George

• Unit(s): 2 - Solix 15s AutoChart Pro 1198
  • Software: Always up todate
  • Accessories: SI on Transom and Trolling Motor
Re: spots on display
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 02:07:51 PM »
rookiejd

Are you sure that they are on the inside?  I think this would be a first.  The screens should be water proof.  One of the ways to get stubborn water spots off of the screen is to take a micro fiber cloth that is larger then the screen wet it and wring it out with Windex Multi cleaner with vinegar, lay it over the screen for a few hours keeping it damp then lightly rub it out, the screen should be better and you may have to do it a couple of times to get rid of the spots.  Most of us have installed screen protectors such as Zagg, there others.  They protect the screen and make it easier to clean the spots off.

I am sure that other will give you good advice.

George

Offline rookiejd

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 12:49:00 PM »
George, I guess what I was trying to say was that it appeared that maybe the coating or whatever is on the inside of the screen was deteriorating or what ever, not necessarily that water was getting inside the unit. I am most likely incorrect in this thinking and it probably is on the outside of the screen itself, I just haven't had any luck getting the spots off and I certainly do not want to risk getting to hard on the display itsself. I probably just need to know the proper way to clean the display and I will be able to clean it up. Thanks so much for your help.

Offline George

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 02:53:34 PM »
rookiejd

I think the best way to clean your screen is to use Windex Multi-Purpose with vinegar.  Take a microfiber cloth wet it with the Windex and lay it on the screen for an hour or so, I would do it in the house where you can be comfortable while waiting, every now and then clean the screen an look at it for water spots, then do it again and again, you can get all of the spots off.  When clean, make sure you clean the screen regularly.

The screen has a coating on it so do be careful and it is worth the investment of a screen protector.  I just purchased an 1198 and did not take it out until I install a Zagg's screen protector.  There are lots out there that are cheaper but my 1197 has had one on it since 2009 and it still looks new and it is easy to clean and I do not have to be concerned about scratching or damaging the screen.

George

Offline rookiejd

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 04:19:28 PM »
George, Thank you again. I will try to find some of that cloth and I will get the screen protector on there after I get the spots off.

Offline George

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 05:33:51 PM »
rookiejd, you can get the microfiber cloth at Home Depot (where I purchased mine), Lowes and most likely at Walmart.  I use them for  a lot of stuff along with terry towels from Home Depot, also when used a bit they go into the wash machine for reuse.

Before I forget, Humminbird recommends the use of Windex Multi-Purpose with vinegar to clean the screens.  And do be careful because HB put a coating on the screen and you do not want to use anything that will dissolve or scratch it.

Just take your time, slow and easy will get it done.

George

Offline MonteSS

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 10:47:15 PM »
What are you cleaning the screen with now?

I used regular windex with amonia, and the coating on my screen is destroyed. They wont warranty it and want like $350 to change the screen. Needless to say there should have been a strict warning and I am not at all happy.

....Bill

Offline George

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 11:19:25 PM »
MonteSS

I use Windex Multi-Purpose with vinegar, it does not have ammonia in it.  This is recommended by Humminbird and I have been using it since February 2009 without any problems.  I installed a screen save on it probably 3 months after owning my 1197 and have continued using the recommended multi-purpose cleaner.

George
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 11:21:01 PM by George »

Offline MonteSS

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 12:10:23 AM »
Yeah. I understand that is what to use.

I was asking the OP what he uses. Maybe he messed up like I did.

....Bill

Offline rookiejd

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 10:58:53 AM »
MonteSS,
        I have not messed up yet. I have only used a dry cloth that came with some binoculars that I bought to try to clean the screen. This didn't work so I came to this forum and started asking questions and I am going to follow Georges advice and get some of the cloth and cleaner that he reccommends, then add the screen cover. I hate that you have had the problems that you describe. Maybe you can get it worked out. I agree that it would be a good idea for Humminbird to place a warning sticker on the screen to keep people from using something which ends up damaging the screen. Good luck.

Offline Patty

• Unit(s): 898c SI
  • Software: 6.4??
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 05:06:19 PM »
Were you by any chance using bugspray near the unit??? I did on a older model and now it looks like water spots but its permanent... The amazing stuff we put on our skin does not intdract nicely with anything (shoulda learned from the sythetic gunstock it ruined once)...

I use t.v. screen cleaner on mine now and it works great!!! Oh yeah and i deal with the bugs Via a thermacell now.... :)

Offline rookiejd

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 08:59:52 PM »
Patty,
          No bug spray but I could have gotten some sun screen on it, haven't thought about that.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo